Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Sinope Technologies

Rebates on home automation / energy savings (smart hermostats, wall outlet, plug) / water damages protection devices

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 6:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal

Rebates on home automation / energy savings (smart hermostats, wall outlet, plug) / water damages protection devices

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Sinope Technologies
Received an email from Sinopé Technologies. Rebates on different devices. WiFi or ZigBee.

LINK: https://www.sinopetech.com/en/boutique/

WiFi thermostats for Electric baseboard 3000 watts Reg. $104.95 4000 watts Reg.$119.95 BF sale price buy 1 get -10% OFF --buy 2-3 get 15% OFF == buy 4-5 get 20% OFF -- buy 6+ get 25% OFF

WiFi floor heating thermostats 3600 watts Reg. $189.95 BF price buy 1 get -10% OFF --buy 2-3 get 15% OFF == buy 4-5 get 20% OFF -- buy 6+ get 25% OFF

50% off ZigBee gateway (you need this if you go with ZigBee devices) if you purchase 3 ZigBee thermostats BF price gateway is $49.59 -- reg. $98.95

ZigBee Smart thermostats 10% OFF 3000 watts $76.95 reg. $84.95 -- 10% OFF 4000 watts $80.95 reg. $89.95

ZigBee smart starter kit (2 thermostats 1 Smart switch 1 bridge) $50 off $229.95 reg. $279.95

ZigBee light switch OR light dimmer $53.95 reg. $59.95 each

ZigBee Smart plug $35.95 reg. $39.95

ZigBee wall outlet $44.95 reg. $49.95

Load controller 50 Amp $101.95 reg. $119.95 by example you can plug this to your water heater, and from there you can turn off electric water heater. Usefull you you subscribed to Hydro-Quebec dynamic pricing, you can turn off water heater during peak hours)

Water damages protection kit 2 different models $100 off reg. price ($349.95 down from $449.95 AND $399.95, down from $499.95)

And more items... https://www.sinopetech.com/en/boutique/

I called Sinopé to inquire about theiur product as I did not know this company. I saw their WiFi thermostats at Costco, making me curious about their offer. I asked if their NeviWeb app is "compatible" with Hydro's dynamic pricing, which I recently subscribed to ( https://www.hydroquebec.com/residential ... icing.html ) and they told me that they are working on something that would make those thermopstats automatically operate when Hydro have a peak event, this is very interesting to save some $$$. Their products works with geofencing, and are well reveiewed.

Edit 1: correcting typos

Edit 2: added more infos
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Nov 26th, 2020 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
49 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
2884 posts
1573 upvotes
toronto
Never heard about that company. Are they reputable and does this have anything to do with the Ontario rebate?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This rebate paired with the previous (recent) Costco sale would effectively cut the customer cost to $60 + taxes for 3 thermostats. That would make them cheaper than most non-connected programmable thermostats in the market.

Signed up this morning. Happy to let them turn off my heat a couple of times for $100. Lol.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
chrisanthony14 wrote: Never heard about that company. Are they reputable and does this have anything to do with the Ontario rebate?
They sell the WIFI version 3000 watts thermostats at Costco. (YMMV), at Best Buy https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=Sinop%C3%A9 among other retailers. Also have an Amazon store. Pretty good reviews. I will jump on this.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
vancityguy0 wrote: This rebate paired with the previous (recent) Costco sale would effectively cut the customer cost to $60 + taxes for 3 thermostats. That would make them cheaper than most non-connected programmable thermostats in the market.

Signed up this morning. Happy to let them turn off my heat a couple of times for $100. Lol.
This was available only in BC. via a BC Hydro rebate. Would have jumped on this if I live in BC.
Mar 26, 2011
48 posts
23 upvotes
London
This is a well established company located in Montreal. Most of their products are for control of electric home heating
chrisanthony14 wrote: Never heard about that company. Are they reputable and does this have anything to do with the Ontario rebate?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Does anyone have the Water Damage Protection kit installed and can vouch for it? Aside from the shut-off valve it comes with 5 (five) sensors with up to 5 years battery life, so good value compared with other kits...

Thanks,
Lucky Mobile $20/Month 3GB (unlimited at 128Kbps) further reduced by $5 / month per referral credit(s)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
wally_walrus wrote: Does anyone have the Water Damage Protection kit installed and can vouch for it? Aside from the shut-off valve it comes with 5 (five) sensors with up to 5 years battery life, so good value compared with other kits...

Thanks,
Have not tried it. Looks like an awesome kit. If water sensor detect a leak, water valve turns off automatically and send you a notification... awesome price for the kit.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
DoorCrasher wrote: Have not tried it. Looks like an awesome kit. If water sensor detect a leak, water valve turns off automatically and send you a notification... awesome price for the kit.
I was also looking at the Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant, although more expensive (but simpler to install with no sensors to worry about) and hopefully intelligent enough. I think the Phyn is also highly reviewed too...
Lucky Mobile $20/Month 3GB (unlimited at 128Kbps) further reduced by $5 / month per referral credit(s)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
wally_walrus wrote: I was also looking at the Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant, although more expensive (but simpler to install with no sensors to worry about) and hopefully intelligent enough. I think the Phyn is also highly reviewed too...
I just don't get how these works.... Without any sensors, it monitors water pressure. If you are filling your bath, how does it knows that it is not a leak? And I find it expensive compared to Sinopé's system
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
DoorCrasher wrote: I just don't get how these works.... Without any sensors, it monitors water pressure. If you are filling your bath, how does it knows that it is not a leak? And I find it expensive compared to Sinopé's system
"Once Phyn Plus is connected to the home’s plumbing system, it learns the makeup of your fixtures. This way, it knows the difference between a bathtub filling up and a leaking pipe. The moment Phyn Plus catches a big leak, it will send an alert to your smartphone, and automatically shut off the water to prevent further, costly damage."
Nov 26, 2017
60 posts
29 upvotes
fredean01 wrote: Do these need a hub?
The WiFi versions, no. The Zigbee ones you need either a hub or their gateway.

I've got 18 of the Zigbee 4000w thermostats in the house. Beautiful design, absolutely love the display.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
DoorCrasher wrote: I just don't get how these works.... Without any sensors, it monitors water pressure. If you are filling your bath, how does it knows that it is not a leak? And I find it expensive compared to Sinopé's system
https://www.phyn.com/technology/

My understanding is it continuously samples the pressure in the water line and creates a digital "signature" for each fixture (also compares it with other signatures in the cloud for detection accuracy). It can also learn if it's not recognizing certain signatures. Pretty sophisticated stuff, result of 10 years of research as a joint venture between Belkin and U. of Washington.

I also found this comparison page to the Flo by Moen, most significant for me is it's Made in US (vs China for the Flo):
https://www.phyn.com/phyn-vs-flo/
Jan 21, 2017
168 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I did all my baseboards with their Zigbee thermostats last year when the rebate was up. Upgraded from ancient dumb thermostats so have no real comparison, but they are accurate and installed easy.

I chose them because they were supported by my existing Hubitat, so I have no experience with their hub. They have been problem free for a year and are easy to schedule with the Hubitat Thermostat Scheduler software.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
2118 posts
6128 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: https://www.phyn.com/technology/

My understanding is it continuously samples the pressure in the water line and creates a digital "signature" for each fixture (also compares it with other signatures in the cloud for detection accuracy). It can also learn if it's not recognizing certain signatures. Pretty sophisticated stuff, result of 10 years of research as a joint venture between Belkin and U. of Washington.

I also found this comparison page to the Flo by Moen, most significant for me is it's Made in US (vs China for the Flo):
https://www.phyn.com/phyn-vs-flo/
I’m personally leaning against actual sensors vs smart water monitoring just in case a leak happens to align with a digital “signature”. It seems Phyn is relying on smart algorithms to catch the leak vs actual on/off sensors which seem more reliable to catch a leak (if placed at the source).
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
wally_walrus wrote: Does anyone have the Water Damage Protection kit installed and can vouch for it? Aside from the shut-off valve it comes with 5 (five) sensors with up to 5 years battery life, so good value compared with other kits...

Thanks,
DoorCrasher wrote: Have not tried it. Looks like an awesome kit. If water sensor detect a leak, water valve turns off automatically and send you a notification... awesome price for the kit.
The limitation in op’s post model is that if the leak is not where the water sensor is, is useless.

I have something DIY similar to the Phyn system - it cost me about $200 for the motorized valve and the flow sensor.

I only use it when I am away, the gimmick with the digital signature is useless imho. Anyway you wouldn’t want to automatically shut down your valve in the middle of taking shower.

It’s more to know if there is leak when you are sleeping and to be able to to open/shut the valve while away in winter - I had my city main frozen once in February after we came back from Thailand, so now when away, I monitor the temperature and if it gets too cold for too long, I open the valve to let the water leak from a faucet
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3097 posts
2399 upvotes
Just to add, there is also waterflo and grohe:

https://www.grohe.ca/smarthome/grohe-sense-guard
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
FrugalStrudel wrote: I did all my baseboards with their Zigbee thermostats last year when the rebate was up. Upgraded from ancient dumb thermostats so have no real comparison, but they are accurate and installed easy.

I chose them because they were supported by my existing Hubitat, so I have no experience with their hub. They have been problem free for a year and are easy to schedule with the Hubitat Thermostat Scheduler software.
Do you remember how much you paid per thermostat? Not that I have a time machine to go back then, but for comparison.

I just subscribed to Hydro Québec dynamic pricing, and called Sinopé to inquire about their thermostats. They told me that they are working on something to make their NeviWeb interface, and their thermostats compatible with Hydro's dynamic pricing, making them even more usefull in m y case. Like when Hydro send a notification of an "event" making the Kw/h price raise, Sinopé will regulate your thermostats to make you save money....
djredhat wrote: The limitation in op’s post model is that if the leak is not where the water sensor is, is useless.

I have something DIY similar to the Phyn system - it cost me about $200 for the motorized valve and the flow sensor.

I only use it when I am away, the gimmick with the digital signature is useless imho. Anyway you wouldn’t want to automatically shut down your valve in the middle of taking shower.

It’s more to know if there is leak when you are sleeping and to be able to to open/shut the valve while away in winter - I had my city main frozen once in February after we came back from Thailand, so now when away, I monitor the temperature and if it gets too cold for too long, I open the valve to let the water leak from a faucet
Well I personally prefer a system with sensors above a system that monitors water pressure for this particular reason. I do not want the algorithm to think that it is a leak when my garden hose fills my pool, or, like you said, when I am in the shower, with the hair full of shampoo... IHaving sensors where there is a high chance of a leak (laundry room, bathroom, kitchen, near water tank) is not that expensive comparing to the possibility of water damages in those rooms. A parent of mine had a leak from a 18L spring water bottle. Near $10K of damages, and only 18L of water leaked... So, having a sensor detecting a leak and turning off the house's main water valve is priceless.
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Nov 24th, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 9, 2016
13 posts
33 upvotes
Sinope was started by the founder of Aube thermostat, he sold his Aube business to Honeywell. I had 13 neviweb thermostats in my former house and It worked really well.