None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria

Sirius XM scam

Beware Sirius XM is now a scam. If you have an automatically renewing subscription you cannot cancel it until right before renewal. I was actually told I could only cancel on the day of renewal so that's what I attempted to do. When I called in I was told it's too late I've been renewed and I'll have to try again next time. Eventually I did manage to get a supervisor to cancel the damn service. Just don't do it or if you do, at least use a CC you don't care about and can cancel.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3651 posts
2312 upvotes
Edmonton
You can cancel at any time and get a pro-rated refund. The only exception that I can see is if you took advantage of some kind of promo (e.g. free radio) and committed to a term.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13898 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Should just tell them you sold your car. No questions asked.
dealguy2 wrote: Beware Sirius XM is now a scam. If you have an automatically renewing subscription you cannot cancel it until right before renewal. I was actually told I could only cancel on the day of renewal so that's what I attempted to do. When I called in I was told it's too late I've been renewed and I'll have to try again next time. Eventually I did manage to get a supervisor to cancel the damn service. Just don't do it or if you do, at least use a CC you don't care about and can cancel.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2198 posts
816 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
OP, do you know what the word "scam" means?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16726 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Should just tell them you sold your car. No questions asked.
WHAT???? SiRIUS XM is OnLY AVAiLABLE iN A CaR NoW???? :eek: :-0 :confused:
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: WHAT???? SiRIUS XM is OnLY AVAiLABLE iN A CaR NoW???? :eek: :-0 :confused:
good point they may send the guy a free bike mounting kit or tell them they can use it at home. When making an excuse always think it through.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2072 posts
2124 upvotes
Living the dream
Are you sirius?

Breaking news: Sirius XM is now a scam, because a guy on the internet told us so.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16726 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
ElHoardo wrote: Are you sirius?

Breaking news: Sirius XM is now a scam, because a guy on the internet told us so.
That should be corrected. It's not the company itself that is a scam. It's a tiny little detail in how they do business.
You can still invest in their services on pay as you go and use a disposable Sirius XM card.
No scam there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
starchoice wrote: You can cancel at any time and get a pro-rated refund. The only exception that I can see is if you took advantage of some kind of promo (e.g. free radio) and committed to a term.
Not the case anymore.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
playnicee1 wrote: That should be corrected. It's not the company itself that is a scam. It's a tiny little detail in how they do business.
You can still invest in their services on pay as you go and use a disposable Sirius XM card.
No scam there.
Not the company, just their business practices. Yeah that makes a sense.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16726 posts
3898 upvotes
Toronto
dealguy2 wrote: Not the company, just their business practices. Yeah that makes a sense.
Did you read this? :arrow: http://www.siriusxm.ca/terms-and-conditions/

C) ADMINISTRATIVE FEES.
7. Cancellation: If you cancel an annual or multi-year Subscription prior to the expiry of the annual or multi-year Subscription more than thirty (30) days after the date, as applicable, that you: (i) first activate your Service; (ii) renew your subscription in accordance with Subsection 8(a); (iii) accept changes to these Terms in accordance with Subsection 2(a); or (iv) upgrade to a new Subscription plan, we may charge you an administration fee of up to $150.00, according to your subscription level. See Subsection 7(j) below for cancellation of Lifetime Subscriptions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
No I did not. As I said you cannot cancel your subscription until 7 days before the renewal although I was told I must cancel on the day of renewal and then was told that it was already too late. Good businesses do not operate in this way so beware.
Jan 15, 2003
991 posts
91 upvotes
Hamilton
Use of SiriusXM Canada satellite radio constitutes acceptance of our Customer Agreement available at siriusxm.ca/terms. We collect and use personal information according to our Privacy Policy available at
siriusxm.ca/privacy.
* Subscribe to SiriusXM Canada satellite radio and get 3 months of All Access for free ($21.99 per month thereafter, plus fees). Sign up on or before August 25, 2016 by visiting siriusxm.ca/activate or by calling
1-888-539-7474. The offer cannot be combined with any other promotional offers. Offer only available in Canada and is only available for new subscriptions. Taxes apply plus a monthly Music Royalty and
Regulatory Fee of 14.2% of your satellite radio subscription price applies to SiriusXM Canada satellite radio subscriptions. A valid credit card is required. You must call us at 1-888-539-7474 to cancel during your
free term to avoid being charged. At the end of your free term, your account will automatically be billed in total in advance according to the total cost of the payment plan selected on a recurring basis according to
the then applicable billing rate. Except in Quebec, a cancelation fee of up to $40.00 may apply to plans on an annual or longer term subscription. All fees and programming are subject to change.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3885 posts
2698 upvotes
Vancouver
I've cancelled a week after the renewal date and they had no problems refunding the full amount charged. I find they're pretty lax about cancellations and when you can ask for it before or after the date.

If you're really concerned about auto renewals, just ask your card issuer to give a new credit card every 6 or 12 months. I always do that to get service providers to call me to ask for a renewal/payment info instead of me calling them.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
dealguy2 wrote: Not the company, just their business practices. Yeah that makes a sense.
Employees have to protect their weasel companies you know... just like nice suburban wives protect their weasel husbands that rip off people elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3562 posts
1675 upvotes
Ontario
Gammatron wrote: Employees have to protect their weasel companies you know... just like nice suburban wives protect their weasel husbands that rip off people elsewhere.
What do you have against weasels? You sound bitter.
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Oct 26, 2003
257 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Had one of those free (sic) 3-month trials that come with a new car. Activated it within 30 days of Jun 6th (trial is Jun 6 - Sep 6). Told rep who called in July/Aug that I would probably renew in Sep, but changed my mind and cancelled Sep 9th - 3 days into the new renewal/upgrade (can't really figure out which applies).

Just got an invoice for $12 in music royalty fees plus a $40 cancellation fee. I'll pay the $12, but not the cancellation fee. Why? Their own contract (section 8 B) YOUR CANCELLATION) says no admin fees apply if you cancel within the first 30 days of the renewal/upgrade. The section on ADMINISTRATIVE FEES (C-7) only says there is a cancellation fee if you cancel more than 30 days after the renewal/upgrade.

I'm not a lawyer, but their own contract is pretty clear. In addition, the rep who called during the summer also mentioned that I could cancel within 30 days of the new subscription.

How many people are forking over this fee unnecessarily?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4943 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
Who knows but with streaming being much better quality and cheaper and not scammers theres no reason to use Sirius.
Not a political sig
Oct 26, 2003
257 posts
37 upvotes
Ottawa
Called them to say I read the agreement and that the $40 fee shouldn't be there. They immediately said, "yes, it's been waived for you". That invoice is automatically generated.

So, if I had paid, they would have just said, "thanks"?

Always read the fine print.