• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2012 5:31 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
723 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Six Sigma courses

Anybody got any recommendations on six sigma course in GTA? I've done a bit of search myself and it seems pretty random on prices as it can range from $1200 to $9000. Why the huge difference? Also, is it even worthwhile to get the six sigma designation? I've seen it on some job requirements.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14786 posts
7722 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
deals newbie wrote: Anybody got any recommendations on six sigma course in GTA? I've done a bit of search myself and it seems pretty random on prices as it can range from $1200 to $9000. Why the huge difference? Also, is it even worthwhile to get the six sigma designation? I've seen it on some job requirements.
I received my training for Six Sigma online. Might be cheaper than the classroom ones.

As for the designation, the training is only one part of the initial Yellow Belt designation (the 1st of 4 possible belts - Yellow -> Green -> Black -> Master Black). You will also need to do some practical work like be part of an actual project before you receive a Yellow Belt designation.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
723 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: I received my training for Six Sigma online. Might be cheaper than the classroom ones.

As for the designation, the training is only one part of the initial Yellow Belt designation (the 1st of 4 possible belts - Yellow -> Green -> Black -> Master Black). You will also need to do some practical work like be part of an actual project before you receive a Yellow Belt designation.
I've been doing project work for 4 years. That's why I was considering if it's worthwhile to get a six sigma certification.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
deals newbie wrote: I've been doing project work for 4 years. That's why I was considering if it's worthwhile to get a six sigma certification.
Company sponsored my Yellow Belt so I did it. The knowledge alone was worth it which supplemented and expanded on some related concepts I already knew.

For my own career path, I probably will only go to Green belt but no time at the moment.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14786 posts
7722 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
deals newbie wrote: I've been doing project work for 4 years. That's why I was considering if it's worthwhile to get a six sigma certification.
Unless that project work is Six Sigma based (ie ran by a Black Belt or a Master Black Belt), that project work doesn't apply. You can't just take courses and have non-Six Sigma project work for certification. YOU need to be on an actual Six Sigma project after completing the Yellow Belt training (which is only about 13 hours). After the completion of that Six Sigma project, will you be able to get certified as a Yellow Belt.

However, if you don't have a PMP, you can apply that project work for the PMP.
Jun 29, 2012
4 posts
KITCHENER
What is Sigma exactly? I seen it before and am just wondering...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
mch2012 wrote: What is Sigma exactly? I seen it before and am just wondering...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

You may also want to read Jack Welch's book.

I was trained in the job as a black belt. If your job does not touch data or quality at all - may be a waste of money and time. Most tools taught during the course can apply to a wide range of topics though, from process improvement to QA, call center operations to manufacturing.