size of HWT for basement suite

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 10:40 pm
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
345 upvotes

size of HWT for basement suite

We had a 2 story 3 bedroom just built for us with a legal basement suite and asked the builder to size the HWT up accordingly. Now I'm seeing they have installed a 55 gallon tank which just seems like the standard. I see some rule of thumb guidelines for sizing a tank but would like some first hand experiences. Would this be enough for 5 people in total in the household with separate laundries?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3835 posts
873 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
miningminer wrote: We had a 2 story 3 bedroom just built for us with a legal basement suite and asked the builder to size the HWT up accordingly. Now I'm seeing they have installed a 55 gallon tank which just seems like the standard. I see some rule of thumb guidelines for sizing a tank but would like some first hand experiences. Would this be enough for 5 people in total in the household with separate laundries?
Look on the unit for the BTU rating or take a photo of the model number, some are higher than normal BTU and can provide almost continuous hot water.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4185 posts
2117 upvotes
You'll definitely be running out of hot water on lots of occasions even if you do your laundry in cold water only.
Feb 28, 2018
156 posts
103 upvotes
Waterloo region
pootza wrote: You'll definitely be running out of hot water on lots of occasions even if you do your laundry in cold water only.
I would think for 5 people it would be adequate... pretty standard for a family dwelling
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4185 posts
2117 upvotes
tralexus1 wrote: I would think for 5 people it would be adequate... pretty standard for a family dwelling
It's a two family dwelling ... and at 40,000 BTU's they will run out.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1175 posts
1070 upvotes
Clarington, ON
What province... If ontsrio, unless it's a totally custom build, it's almost guaranteed to be a rental. Trying to upgrade to a larger tank Capacity tank, or one with a faster recovery may be an option.
Jan 19, 2013
560 posts
346 upvotes
Ottawa
Mixing valve probably installed for code spec
You can always get the tank temp turned up higher to get more first hour of hot water
Chances are pretty slim you ll run out of hot water unless everybody has the same schedule
[OP]
Dec 15, 2017
308 posts
345 upvotes
two family, seperate units entirely meaning seperate laundry as well.