Personal Finance

SK, MB, ON, NB - How Climate Action Incentive Payments will work on your 2018 Tax Return

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3537 posts
664 upvotes
How do you decide which spouse should claim the Climate Action Incentive? Does it matter? When I put it through turbo tax, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2231 posts
785 upvotes
Ontario
poorwingman wrote: How do you decide which spouse should claim the Climate Action Incentive? Does it matter? When I put it through turbo tax, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Doesn't matter, it's applied all the way at the end of the tax form. So both get an same impact.

If anything, if one spouse has to pay tax and the other has a refund. If applying to the spouse with tax payable can change it into a refund, I'd do that so you don't have to put in effort to make payments.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3275 posts
1812 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: How do you decide which spouse should claim the Climate Action Incentive? Does it matter? When I put it through turbo tax, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I use Studiotax and it seems the credit is paid to the higher income spouse. GST credit is different. CRA will pay the GST credit to the first spouse return processed by CRA.
Aug 1, 2018
13 posts
3 upvotes
I already filed my tax returns for 2018 and I didn't know about this initiative....what an I do to get the money back ?
Thanks for your answers...