Sports & Recreation

Skiing for the first time - what do I need?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2022 2:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
99 posts
35 upvotes

Skiing for the first time - what do I need?

I'm going skiing for the first time in my life. What equipment/gear should I be getting? Will be picking up a ski bib from Eddie Bauer. Can I wear my winter coat? Or do I need a ski jacket? And would I need a helmet and googles? What else should I be aware of?

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you!
38 replies
Nov 10, 2019
622 posts
609 upvotes
For the first time I suggest renting the equipment from the resort. And buy a starter cheap goggle. Warm winter jacket is fine, gloves and warm face mask.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4140 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Winter coat is fine, don't wear cotton, don't let a friend teach you, many hills have a combo package of ticket/rental/lesson for beginners, look into that.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16727 posts
11910 upvotes
Toronto
Rent all the equipment you need including a helmet

If you can’t rent a helmet, but helmet and goggles from Costco or Sportchek
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
99 posts
35 upvotes
Thanks I will take a look at Costco/Sportchek!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3904 posts
1220 upvotes
as mentioned by others... highly recommend to rent equipment and go for group or private lessons that are available at the resorts. as @jzmtl mentioned, most places have a beginner combo that packages lift ticket, rental and lessons.

make sure you have a waterproof jacket and snowpants...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3904 posts
1220 upvotes
One2free wrote: @CrazyJo82 , is this brand good for waterproof ski jacket?
https://www.decathlon.ca/en/jacket-pant ... or-8547153
i don't know... lol... Do you have a winter jacket? typical brands are Columbia, Karbon...

I think if it fits, waterproof and you like it, $65 is not bad.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
99 posts
35 upvotes
CrazyJo82 wrote: i don't know... lol... Do you have a winter jacket? typical brands are Columbia, Karbon...

I think if it fits, waterproof and you like it, $65 is not bad.
neither of my winter jackets are waterproof lol
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16727 posts
11910 upvotes
Toronto
You don’t need a “waterproof “ jacket to go skiing unless you’re in the rain.

A water resistant winter jacket is sufficient for a first
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7124 posts
4412 upvotes
Between Countries
Err, downhill or cross country?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
1071 posts
631 upvotes
Midland
I have skied in Whistler with just a heavy sweater and snow pants. You get really hot when you ski
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3904 posts
1220 upvotes
Energie11 wrote: I have skied in Whistler with just a heavy sweater and snow pants. You get really hot when you ski
but it'll depend on weather condition... i've skied in 10C weather... the slopes are very icy.... i've skied in -15C... really cold so less people skiing. lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6584 posts
6061 upvotes
Energie11 wrote: I have skied in Whistler with just a heavy sweater and snow pants. You get really hot when you ski
Yep. I only ski x-country and I don't wear a jacket or snow pants either because I overheat within 5-10minutes and I'm the type of person that's almost always cold. For me, keeping my hands and feet warm is priority so I use hand and foot warmers (hot hand brand) . When it's colder than -20 I'll swear shell pants over fleece leggings just to cut the wind.

OP -I think you're unnecessarily going overboard given it's your first time - not sure how old you are but if you're over 30 and you've never downhill skied before - there's a good chance this might be first and last lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14263 posts
3493 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If you lose control, just fall down. Better than running into a tree, like my friend did the first time out :) .
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1324 posts
2639 upvotes
First aid kit , including splints.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
99 posts
35 upvotes
6060842 wrote: First aid kit , including splints.
Are you recommending because of personal experience?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2551 posts
2333 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
One2free wrote: I'm going skiing for the first time in my life. What equipment/gear should I be getting? Will be picking up a ski bib from Eddie Bauer. Can I wear my winter coat? Or do I need a ski jacket? And would I need a helmet and googles? What else should I be aware of?

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you!
Rent your equipment (poles, skis, and helmet).
Goggles - cheapest at costco. You can use good sunglasses, but it won't break the wind as well. If you do bring you sunglasses, put them in a hard case. I accidently landed on mine and snapped them into 3 before.

Clothing:
Snow pants - must be water proof. You will be on your @$$ alot, it's normal. Costco currently has the Sun Ice snow pants for about $45 in my city.
Winter jacket. Just something that is water resistant. You could post your winter jacket if you want, I can tell you if it would work. You don't want something too long for movability. I have used puffy winter jackets, bomber style jackets, all different type
Neck gater that can cover your an nose. Helps break the wind when you are coming down. Again, Costco has two pack right now.
Gloves - must be water proof. This is where a decent pair helps. Soaking wet gloves suck, they get more wet than anything else. I always bring a couple of pair of mini mitts/mitt liners. I have a few pairs, some from costco, others from ski shop.
Wool socks - bring an extra pair to change if they get too wet, but they shouldn't (costco trail socks)
Base layer - I prefer a light base layer when I ski and then the pants and jacket. It's breathable and light. You can layer up if it's cold. Again, Costco paradox
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)