Sports & Recreation

Skiing for the first time - what do I need?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2022 2:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2020
107 posts
36 upvotes
Thanks @Macx2mommy for a very helpful post. Ended up picking up everything I need from Costco and borrowing a ski jacket from a friend. All set nowGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes. Thank you again!!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
wear layers so you can take off if you get hot
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14353 posts
3594 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Clear your calendar afterwards because you're going to be wiped out. Zzzzzzzzz.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Clear your calendar afterwards because you're going to be wiped out. Zzzzzzzzz.
your a$$ will be hurting for a few days...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1752 posts
415 upvotes
Include Ibuprofen and a heating pad for the next day !
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1804 posts
269 upvotes
Mississauga
6060842 wrote: First aid kit , including splints.
Ski Patrol will be there. They are EMS on the hill. They can treat and transport.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1352 posts
827 upvotes
Bolle helmet and goggle from Costco are good for beginners?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2565 posts
2363 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
n0thing wrote: Bolle helmet and goggle from Costco are good for beginners?
Yes.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
Is a helmet and goggles really necessary? Like really?

Last time I went I just had snowpands and a long sleeve shirt and gloves

Coldest part is the chairlift which the OP probably won't use. I expect to use the rope or magic carpet thing
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3973 posts
1268 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: Is a helmet and goggles really necessary? Like really?

Last time I went I just had snowpands and a long sleeve shirt and gloves

Coldest part is the chairlift which the OP probably won't use. I expect to use the rope or magic carpet thing
For beginners? Yes.

Goggles is good to keep the wind, snow and ice away from the eyes. Sunglasses works but goggles are better.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4714 posts
371 upvotes
I would get toe warmers heat pads for colder days.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4236 posts
3069 upvotes
Montreal
Goggle isn't necessary for magic carpet, you won't be going fast enough.

Helmet, well it's like seat belt, you won't need it 99.9% of the time but you'll be glad you had one when you do. Plus it's the warmest hat you'll ever find.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Goggle isn't necessary for magic carpet, you won't be going fast enough.

Helmet, well it's like seat belt, you won't need it 99.9% of the time but you'll be glad you had one when you do. Plus it's the warmest hat you'll ever find.
wrong
goggle is a must
goggle is not because skiiers go super fast
it's to protect the eyes from UV reflecting off the snow
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11171 posts
4436 upvotes
Lessons
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
isgaard wrote: This is wrong. Sunglasses protects from the snow UV just fine. I'm going to assume everyone in this thread is from Ontario, Ontario skiing does not require goggles.
Clearly you are clueless about eye protection when skiing.

First, what made you assume that the skier is going to have any UV protection to begin with?
Second, thanks for confirming that eye protection is needed to protect from snow UV. Goggles are preferable because:
Third, it's dangerous to ski with sunglasses. Sunglass lenses are not rated for skiing and can hurt your eyes if they break.
Fourth, the temples can break and injure you.
Lastly, goggles ventilate and don't fog like sunglasses.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2926 posts
1763 upvotes
isgaard wrote: You are one of those YOU MUST WEAR GOGGLES WHILE SKIING type, only inexperienced gear heads would say this.

Sunglasses provide UV protection.
Duh, sunglasses provide UV protection from the snow. There is no "snow UV", UV is UV. Oakley Snow Prizm lens are in their sunglasses and goggles. I have a bunch of their goggles and sunglasses.
Yes but not necessary.
For most users on the bunny hill called Blue Mountain in Ontario, incorrect.
Quality sunglasses are rated for skiing. See Oakleys, Smiths, etc.
Sport sunglasses have rubber or plastic temples. It's fine.
Good sports sunglasses don't fog and are perfectly suitable for skiing.

Sunglasses.
And more sunglasses!
Speedskaters going 75kph and no goggles? Sunglasses are fine.
When trying to make a point in a discussion/argument maybe you should try and back your self up with relevant data. In this case the OP asked about skiing for the first time and how should he/she prepare equipment wise. The discussion/argument then falls into a somewhat useless discussion of goggles or sun glasses?? Then you post photos of:

• Back country skiing from Trek and Mountain
  • Then one pulled from skiing mountaineering in the antarctica
  • And even more relevant one from Canadian summit daily and some guys back country skiing
  • Finally you grab a shot of isabelle weidemann speed skating

about the only detail you missed was homer tobogganing.....with sun glasses :rolleyes:

What follows are some links from a SIMPLE google search:
sunglasses or goggles for skiing
copy and paste the highlighted quote into google then hit enter and "tada" the following helpfull links will pop up:

frames direct
Snow stings when you hit it at high speeds, and the bright sun reflecting off the ice can strain your vision. You need some sort of protection, but which is best? Should you wear sunglasses or goggles when you go skiing or snowboarding? In general, goggles are the best choice for snowsports; read on to learn more.

eyekit
it is worth considering the type of eyewear you need for the conditions you are likely to encounter, their performance characteristics, comfort and most important of all, safety.
this site gives a bunch of choices and is well balanced!

Reddit

OP, as a beginner rent the equipment. Take a lesson if possible. Have fun!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
isgaard wrote: That being said, I'm not anti-goggle, I have goggles and I use them. For the first time skiers or the infrequent skiers though, goggles aren't necessary, they're not bombing down the hill at 50kph. Sunglasses are acceptable.
You are making all sorts of assumptions, and that they are using quality sport rated Oakleys, which incidentally cost a lot more than ski goggles from costco!

There is such a thing called snow UV. UV reflects off snow at ~90%. Try google.

Some of the pics you posted are ads, trying to be IG cool. Some aren't even wearing helmets.

The only reason you'd include speed skaters that are irrelevant is lack of support for your position. Speed skaters perform indoors. There is no UV!

The correct type of eye protection for skiing is ski goggles, unless the objective is pretending to be an IG influencer.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
isgaard wrote: Both of you are incorrect with your long-winded mumbo jumbo. Goggles are very nice for skiing, I use them all the time, but they are not 100% necessary. Sunglasses are fine. UV is UV, no such thing as "snow UV", wtf. Next!
you are trying painfully hard to support your loser position by throwing in everything including a speed skater, but even a simple google search would prove you wrong...

some ski resort also rent out goggles if OP needs any
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2926 posts
1763 upvotes
isgaard wrote: Both of you are incorrect with your long-winded mumbo jumbo. Goggles are very nice for skiing, I use them all the time, but they are not 100% necessary. Sunglasses are fine. UV is UV, no such thing as "snow UV", wtf. Next!
What exactly am I incorrect about?

1. Goggles vs Sunglasses....pretty sure I stated the discussion is "somewhat useless"
  2. your inability to stick to a point,
  3. your fantastic ability to debate/argue about nothing in particular
  4. your ineptitude in simple google searches