• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2021 12:45 am
[OP]
Mar 4, 2008
564 posts
101 upvotes
BC

Skip the Dishes - side job?

Hey, looking for a bit of a side hustle. Currently looking into skip the dishes, a friend was telling me that someone he knows typically makes $200 in 3 hours - of course it all depends on a few different variables and I am kind of thinking my friend is full of BS. Looking to see if there's anyone of this forum that has looked into it, or is currently working for skip the dishes?

Also, considering, if its $20/hr...but then one must pay for their gas & vehicle maintenance....so more like $10/hr?

If you work for SkipTheDishes, please let me know what your experience has been like and on average what one would make. Thanks!

or if you know of any other side job to consider, let me know!
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7494 posts
4798 upvotes
Victoria, BC
If Skip The Dishes drivers typically earned $200 in 3 hours, nobody would work anywhere else:) Sounds like bull to me. I think your estimate of $20/hr (less gas and maintenance expenses) would be closer to the truth.
Jan 28, 2017
912 posts
966 upvotes
Never done food delivery nor know of anyone who actively does it, but no way you are grossing 200$ over 3 hours. Already been asked before, I'd assume not much has changed in the past few years on this.

ubereats-driver-worth-2084835/
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3054 posts
349 upvotes
Definitely not $200/3 hours. That would be amazing though. Most I made while driving for a pizza place was on Halloween one year many years ago, 32 deliveries over 4 hours and I think I made $220 or something. That was super rare though; most of my 3-4 hour shift were $100-150 at best. Business went way down with the entrance of Skip into the marketplace though, and I had a hard time making even $100 over a 4 hour shift, so I left that place.

Skip the Dishes is, on a good steady night (without so many garbage low tippers), maybe $100-120 over a 3-4 hour shift. Slow nights can be $50 or $60 (like a Tuesday or something).

That's all gross pay, so gas and maintenance comes off that too ($0.53 per KM per the CRA, plus gas to write off), so technically you're earning a bit over half of the gross pay.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2261 posts
232 upvotes
I do Uber Eats deliveries on the side. In 2 hours i'll make anywhere from $35-$50. Best i did was 2.45hours and made $88 driving around 60kms. Tried signing up for SKIP but they weren't accepting new drivers (last month)
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
[OP]
Mar 4, 2008
564 posts
101 upvotes
BC
LeisureSuitL wrote: Definitely not $200/3 hours. That would be amazing though. Most I made while driving for a pizza place was on Halloween one year many years ago, 32 deliveries over 4 hours and I think I made $220 or something. That was super rare though; most of my 3-4 hour shift were $100-150 at best. Business went way down with the entrance of Skip into the marketplace though, and I had a hard time making even $100 over a 4 hour shift, so I left that place.

Skip the Dishes is, on a good steady night (without so many garbage low tippers), maybe $100-120 over a 3-4 hour shift. Slow nights can be $50 or $60 (like a Tuesday or something).

That's all gross pay, so gas and maintenance comes off that too ($0.53 per KM per the CRA, plus gas to write off), so technically you're earning a bit over half of the gross pay.
On top of taxes and all? Pretty much taking home nothing...
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2261 posts
232 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: Definitely not $200/3 hours. That would be amazing though. Most I made while driving for a pizza place was on Halloween one year many years ago, 32 deliveries over 4 hours and I think I made $220 or something. That was super rare though; most of my 3-4 hour shift were $100-150 at best. Business went way down with the entrance of Skip into the marketplace though, and I had a hard time making even $100 over a 4 hour shift, so I left that place.

Isn't that just how much you can claim as a tax write off?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3054 posts
349 upvotes
Wilmega wrote: Isn't that just how much you can claim as a tax write off?
Yeah, maybe I didn't make myself clear. That's what you write off for maintenance, so the "real" number might not match that exactly if you do your own maintenance. You are still killing a vehicle, so that's a consideration. You gross $120 a shift, write off 0.53 x 100 KMs (let's say), so $120 - $53 (writeoff) - gas ($10?) = $63 over 4 hours. Then you pay the CRA for your $63 of earnings.

It's not great being a driver unless you get a ton of deliveries in a short period, which is only at like a busy pizza place.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2261 posts
232 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote: Yeah, maybe I didn't make myself clear. That's what you write off for maintenance, so the "real" number might not match that exactly if you do your own maintenance. You are still killing a vehicle, so that's a consideration. You gross $120 a shift, write off 0.53 x 100 KMs (let's say), so $120 - $53 (writeoff) - gas ($10?) = $63 over 4 hours. Then you pay the CRA for your $63 of earnings.

It's not great being a driver unless you get a ton of deliveries in a short period, which is only at like a busy pizza place.
Okay yeah so you're only being taxed on $63 income based on that example. For me if i drive 50-60kms doing Uber I only really consider gas as an expense, since i'm not longer driving to work it's a trade off. That tax write off (.53x100KM) helps offset the taxes at the end of the year.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2443 upvotes
West
I used to on/off deliver food in Vancouver (which is where I'm assuming you're from) for Doordash/UberEats to supplement income while I had ultra-flexible hours due to COVID.

An overwhelming majority of days, I would clear $22-25 per hour without much of a sweat. A slow day would be $18-20/hr. Friday/Saturday nights, generally $28-30 an hour was the expectation, though I did have the occasional, rare night where I made $40-50+ per hour. This is all before vehicle expenses/gas. Mind you, I pretty much only worked lunch/dinner rushes, so I would expect less if working outside of those times.

I'd say it's fine doing it as a side hustle, but definitely not as a primary line of work, and preferably if you get taxed at a relatively low rate. It's not necessarily hard work, but you definitely are running around town like a maniac. Honestly, for what the job is, the pay is pretty good (despite what you may read on other forums). The main thing I did not like was not having any stability/reliability. Some days would be extra slow, and you'd idle for 20-30 minutes wondering what you were doing with your life. You're also very reliant on customer tips to earn a decent wage, which can be extremely variable and frustrating. Some customers will put you over the moon and tip $10+ dollars for a delivery, others will tip $0. The latter sucks, because the amount you actually get paid by these companies is pitiful.

The location you live/work at is also very important. Some neighbourhoods (i.e. Commercial Drive) are always busy and therefore money is great. Those located more in the sub-burbs get next to zero work, and you will have to drive some distance to get to where the deliveries are.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'll try to answer them as best I can. Good luck!

Edit: I can't spell.
Last edited by Phonophoresis on Apr 11th, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46370 posts
9389 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
JimboD wrote: Hey, looking for a bit of a side hustle. Currently looking into skip the dishes, a friend was telling me that someone he knows typically makes $200 in 3 hours - of course it all depends on a few different variables and I am kind of thinking my friend is full of BS. Looking to see if there's anyone of this forum that has looked into it, or is currently working for skip the dishes?

Also, considering, if its $20/hr...but then one must pay for their gas & vehicle maintenance....so more like $10/hr?

If you work for SkipTheDishes, please let me know what your experience has been like and on average what one would make. Thanks!

or if you know of any other side job to consider, let me know!
Chickinvic wrote: If Skip The Dishes drivers typically earned $200 in 3 hours, nobody would work anywhere else:) Sounds like bull to me. I think your estimate of $20/hr (less gas and maintenance expenses) would be closer to the truth.
Thats true!

MAybe he nailed $200 in 3 hours ONCE on a busy busy night... like a long weekend when everyone is bored or Christmas.
I got take out sushi for Christmas Eve... I called in 2 hour ahead. Got there and still had to line up 30 minutes to grab it! I tipped them a $5'er since it was XMAS.
I imagine food delivery must have been off the hook. & if people were equally generous due to XMAS vibes... BIG TIPS!

So possibly... only on a REALLY good day.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1563 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
I did Skip the dishes on a 250CC motorycle of all things.
Did it for about a month.
Not my cup of tea.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2443 upvotes
West
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats true!

MAybe he nailed $200 in 3 hours ONCE on a busy busy night... like a long weekend when everyone is bored or Christmas.
I got take out sushi for Christmas Eve... I called in 2 hour ahead. Got there and still had to line up 30 minutes to grab it! I tipped them a $5'er since it was XMAS.
I imagine food delivery must have been off the hook. & if people were equally generous due to XMAS vibes... BIG TIPS!

So possibly... only on a REALLY good day.
Busy days are hit & miss. The problem with busy days is that every restaurant is behind. Drivers get dispatched to locations based upon a set time from order, not necessarily when the order is ready.

I know many people made less on Christmas Eve, just because they were stuck waiting 20+ mins for food at every other restaurant. A job that is paid by completion, rather than time is a double-edged sword sometimes.

If someone got $200 in 3 hours, it was guaranteed just due to a fluke run of large tips. One can realistically only do max 3-4 delivers an hour, regardless of how fast they work, and the base pay for those will rarely exceed $7-9 each.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46370 posts
9389 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Phonophoresis wrote: Busy days are hit & miss. The problem with busy days is that every restaurant is behind. Drivers get dispatched to locations based upon a set time from order, not necessarily when the order is ready.

I know many people made less on Christmas Eve, just because they were stuck waiting 20+ mins for food at every other restaurant. A job that is paid by completion, rather than time is a double-edged sword sometimes.

If someone got $200 in 3 hours, it was guaranteed just due to a fluke run of large tips. One can realistically only do max 3-4 delivers an hour, regardless of how fast they work, and the base pay for those will rarely exceed $7-9 each.
True. @ the beginning of the pandemic i gave a $20 tip a few times. Like a “kindness to the universe, sorry youre stuck slinging take out during all this uncertainly” gesture.

@ the time i was blessed with an extra $50/day pandemic pay. So i was spreading some wealth. Lol
Mar 20, 2006
467 posts
212 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote: If Skip The Dishes drivers typically earned $200 in 3 hours, nobody would work anywhere else:) Sounds like bull to me. I think your estimate of $20/hr (less gas and maintenance expenses) would be closer to the truth.
I agree with Chickinvic. This job is not gonna pay too much. Even high tippers may not always tip you high or you may not be their delivery guy every time they order. But it is a side job so you can always try and judge it by yourself. What some people might be good at you might enjoy even better or feel just miserable.
Banned
Mar 2, 2021
252 posts
260 upvotes

Stop screwing up OP by posting false info if you have no idea what you are talking about.
JimboD wrote:
On top of taxes and all? Pretty much taking home nothing...
OP, you CANNOT claim the 0.53c/km as per CRA. That is ONLY if you are working for an employee that requires you to use your own personal car for the employment. With Skip you are SELF EMPLOYED. As a self employed person you CANNOT claim the 0.53c/KM. Instead you have to do the tedious leg work of writing off individual receipts, such as gas, maintenance (oil changes, etc - meaning if you do your own oil change to save money now it's not worth it anymore), depreciation (CRA has a website for that) and lease payments (and only lease, if you do lease your current car).

If you are going to do this, make sure you actually speak with an accountant AND GET A SECOND OPINION. I have seen instances where one account was claiming you could claim item X, when in fact you cannot.

In my free time at work while browsing reddit, I actually had some really good reads of all the skippers adventures by reading https://www.reddit.com/r/skipthedishes/. Lots of info there, including what others are reporting to make.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7494 posts
4798 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Mariusic wrote: Stop screwing up OP by posting false info if you have no idea what you are talking about.

OP, you CANNOT claim the 0.53c/km as per CRA. That is ONLY if you are working for an employee that requires you to use your own personal car for the employment. With Skip you are SELF EMPLOYED. As a self employed person you CANNOT claim the 0.53c/KM. Instead you have to do the tedious leg work of writing off individual receipts, such as gas, maintenance (oil changes, etc - meaning if you do your own oil change to save money now it's not worth it anymore), depreciation (CRA has a website for that) and lease payments (and only lease, if you do lease your current car).

If you are going to do this, make sure you actually speak with an accountant AND GET A SECOND OPINION. I have seen instances where one account was claiming you could claim item X, when in fact you cannot.

In my free time at work while browsing reddit, I actually had some really good reads of all the skippers adventures by reading https://www.reddit.com/r/skipthedishes/. Lots of info there, including what others are reporting to make.
Truth!

Oh, and if you properly insure your car for doing this work, that will also eat into your earnings.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1774 posts
1204 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I basically only see teens/college kids doing this, so I know right off the bat, it won't work for me and my SUV. Better have an econobox that sips gas or a hybrid. If it was really $200/day, I'd be jumping on it.

The restaurants I've gone to have given free coupons for food delivery services and I haven't done it. Why do I need to risk someone tampering with my food or getting the 5th delivery and it's cold?

I've heard that straight pizza delivery can be lucrative on weekends and special days, but that was before the Pandemic. I doubt everyone's throwing out big tips anymore. I'm also not certain this is that great for a restaurant's bottom line... make more units and take home less money per unit.
Jun 8, 2019
565 posts
286 upvotes
I’ve thought of doing this but I’d only do it with a bike. That would remove a lot of the expenses involved. I live near an area with a ton of restaurants.
Banned
Mar 2, 2021
252 posts
260 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote: I’ve thought of doing this but I’d only do it with a bike. That would remove a lot of the expenses involved. I live near an area with a ton of restaurants.
Can work nicely on an ebike