Expired Hot Deals

SkipTheDishes 15$ Off New Users Only!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 12:10 pm
Member
Aug 16, 2010
285 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
I am going to settle this tip vs non tip.

First of all, I tip. why? to save face.
Companies know this and they push the financial burden on the customers to make up for their shitty wages.

But then there are some restaurants who actually deny tips. Their food is more expensive but I can assume their wages are higher.
You eat. you pay. you walk out. no 'trying to save face'. no 'here is $XX, don't spit in my food next time please'.

Here is why you shouldn't tip:
If you tip, you are setting a standard and pressuring others to tip while allowing companies to practice unfair wages.
Donations are done anonymously. Tips should too.

So what can we do? nothing.
it's like buying a diamond ring for your fiancee. You know it's a made up money grab tradition that destroys certain African countries and their children which you have to pay 3x your income for (set by diamond companies to increase their price with the inflation). But you can't do nothing about it. why? because you have to save face. your fiancee has to save face.

If you tip or buy diamond rings. Good for you. I also do a lot of stupid shit just to save my face. But I don't force others to do them and I certainly don't patronize others who don't.

If you tip genuinely because you liked the service, why stop there? tip that guy who opened the door for you. Or the person who held the elevator for you.

If you tip because you feel bad for the driver's wage. don't worry. the system will sort itself. like every f'ing business out there in a capitalistic country.
Last edited by Xtyle86 on Jul 12th, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2004
1884 posts
921 upvotes
Xtyle86 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:22 pm
I am going to settle this tip vs non tip.

First of all, I tip. why? to save face.
Companies know this and they push the financial burden on the customers to make up for their shitty wages.

But then there are some restaurants who actually deny tips. Their food is more expensive but I can assume their wages are higher.
You eat. you pay. you walk out. no 'trying to save face'. no 'here is $XX, don't spit in my food next time please'.

Here is why you shouldn't tip:
If you tip, you are setting a standard and pressuring others to tip while allowing companies to practice unfair wages.
Donations are done anonymously. Tips should too.

So what can we do? nothing.
it's like buying a diamond ring for your fiancee. You know it's a made up money grab tradition that destroys certain African countries and their children which you have to pay 3x your income for (set by diamond companies to increase their price with the inflation). But you can't do nothing about it. why? because you have to save face. your fiancee has to save face.

If you tip or buy diamond rings. Good for you. I also do a lot of stupid shit just to save my face. But I don't force others to do them and I certainly don't patronize others who don't.

If you tip genuinely because you liked the service, why stop there? tip that guy who opened the door for you. Or the person who held the elevator for you.

If you tip because you feel bad for the driver's wage. don't worry. the system will sort itself. like every f'ing business out there in a capitalistic country.
Sorry but stiffing your driver/server because you think “the system will sort itself out” is such a ridiculous position to have. And relating it to supporting debeers and buying diamonds? That’s some great mental gymnastics, but at the end of the day you’re grasping at straws to justify yourself being a cheapskate. Just own it and lose the holier than thou act. And buy your wife a CZ.
Member
Oct 15, 2014
287 posts
497 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thanks OP. This was my order last night:

x1McChicken Extra Value Meal [630-1070 Cals]
$9.19
• Med French Fries [350.0 Cals]
• Med Coca-Cola [220.0 Cals]

x1Happy Meal Hamburger with Mini Fry [305-675 Cals]
$3.99
• Secret Life of Pets 2
• Chocolate Milk Bottle [170.0 Cals]

x1Side Garden Salad [160-250 Cals]
$2.89
• Greek Dressing [140.0 Cals]

Food/Beverage Total
$16.07
Delivery Fee
$5.95
HST
$2.86
Tip the Food Courier
$2.00
SORBET15
-$15.00
Total (CAD)
$11.88
Images
  • DSC_0644.JPG
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 4, 2006
1108 posts
230 upvotes
Out of uses.
*other code works
Last edited by wonton1017 on Jul 12th, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HI
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14331 posts
3490 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:23 pm
Tippers vs non tippers.

Tippers are like the recent anti abortion people.
Yeah let's not compare anybody with those people holding awful signs in public.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Sr. Member
Jul 12, 2011
507 posts
194 upvotes
MARKHAM
Non Tippers will get their karma....in one way or another. Either them or people close to them. I truly believe that. What goes around comes around.

Non-Tippers have 0 sound argument, none whatsoever. They try to justify their cheapness with ineffective bullshit arguments to make themselves feel better. It doesn't work, it makes you look like a fool.

One day it'll be them doing the deliveries and they'll get shafted by the company and make little to nothing.
Last edited by MobyZz on Jul 12th, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2010
666 posts
389 upvotes
Ottawa
TGoyel wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:53 pm
Give it a rest dude.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, it's clear where your stance is on this. It's my opinion of people who don't tip using a delivery service in which they have a coupon code that saved them 80%+. Again, it's my opinion of these people, I'm not a fan, I think it's wrong, and I think it's pathetic. To be fair, I don't give a shit you think I'm delightful individual or not, me calling you out has you on the defensive.
I'm having fun, I'm just stating my opinion just like you. I'm guessing you're not having fun cause you're being forced to defend your poor attitude.
I posted here cause you don't need to give shit to people cause they made a different choice than you. I wrote that post for people like you.
If all you do is show up and say "I am great cause I tip and you're the bad person for not", you just look like an idiot. I'd rather see people try to convince others why tipping is good.
If you have nothing better to say you should probably close the window and leave the thread. You're not doing yourself any favors talking.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42655 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Xtyle86 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:22 pm
I am going to settle this tip vs non tip.

First of all, I tip. why? to save face.
Companies know this and they push the financial burden on the customers to make up for their shitty wages.

But then there are some restaurants who actually deny tips. Their food is more expensive but I can assume their wages are higher.
You eat. you pay. you walk out. no 'trying to save face'. no 'here is $XX, don't spit in my food next time please'.

Here is why you shouldn't tip:
If you tip, you are setting a standard and pressuring others to tip while allowing companies to practice unfair wages.
Donations are done anonymously. Tips should too.

So what can we do? nothing.
it's like buying a diamond ring for your fiancee. You know it's a made up money grab tradition that destroys certain African countries and their children which you have to pay 3x your income for (set by diamond companies to increase their price with the inflation). But you can't do nothing about it. why? because you have to save face. your fiancee has to save face.

If you tip or buy diamond rings. Good for you. I also do a lot of stupid shit just to save my face. But I don't force others to do them and I certainly don't patronize others who don't.

If you tip genuinely because you liked the service, why stop there? tip that guy who opened the door for you. Or the person who held the elevator for you.

If you tip because you feel bad for the driver's wage. don't worry. the system will sort itself. like every f'ing business out there in a capitalistic country.
I agree with this. Unfortunately it's a cultural phenomenon that probably won't change unless there is enough cultural shift, which I can't see at this point.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Member
Aug 16, 2010
285 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:54 pm
I agree with this. Unfortunately it's a cultural phenomenon that probably won't change unless there is enough cultural shift, which I can't see at this point.
there actually is a solution. force all donations (tips are donations) to be done anonymously. this would effectively remove a majority of tip earnings and then companies will have to increase their wages to keep their employees.
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2010
666 posts
389 upvotes
Ottawa
MobyZz wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:40 pm
Non Tippers will get their karma....in one way or another. Either them or people close to them. I truly believe that. What goes around comes around.

Non-Tippers have 0 sound argument, none whatsoever. They try to justify their cheapness with ineffective bullshit arguments to make themselves feel better. It doesn't work, it makes you look like a fool.

One day it'll be them doing the deliveries and they'll get shafted by the company and make little to nothing.
You can believe that if you want. The Karma god is as fictitious as your argument. You're working on the assumption that non-tippers aren't empathetic when there's no definitive proof. There's nothing about paying more money that makes you an inherently good person.

I know that it's only a small fraction of rfd but the extreme ends of both arguments are both terrible people and very unlikable by extension. If you posted in the thread just to shit on people, your kind aren't wanted. You're doing nothing for what you preach and ultimately make the place worse. Pick up your trash and go.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42655 posts
3228 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MobyZz wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:40 pm
Non Tippers will get their karma....in one way or another. Either them or people close to them. I truly believe that. What goes around comes around.

Non-Tippers have 0 sound argument, none whatsoever. They try to justify their cheapness with ineffective bullshit arguments to make themselves feel better. It doesn't work, it makes you look like a fool.

One day it'll be them doing the deliveries and they'll get shafted by the company and make little to nothing.
I think that's where the issue is. Companies have conditioned us that it's OK for them to shaft their employees, because customers are willing to put up with it by tipping. Just because we're used to it doesn't mean it's right.

Any restaurant that charges more in order to pay their employees a fair wage gets my support over cheaper food that requires tipping.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 6, 2010
5200 posts
2128 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:54 pm
I agree with this. Unfortunately it's a cultural phenomenon that probably won't change unless there is enough cultural shift, which I can't see at this point.
I will have to disagree.
It has already changed a lot.
And there are a lot more people who doesn't tip at all and tip a lot less than 10% as fabricated by the restaurants.
The restaurant is kind of cheating this by putting the min of tipping in their paying machine of choice to be 15% or 20%.
Many people doesn't know they can change this so they concur.
Personally, I think this is a scam.
10 years ago, if you do not tip, the server will give you a black eye or say things.
Nowadays, no one will say anything or giving you a bad look. They got used to people not paying tips.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Member
Aug 16, 2010
285 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
MobyZz wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 3:40 pm
Non Tippers will get their karma....in one way or another. Either them or people close to them. I truly believe that. What goes around comes around.

Non-Tippers have 0 sound argument, none whatsoever. They try to justify their cheapness with ineffective bullshit arguments to make themselves feel better. It doesn't work, it makes you look like a fool.

One day it'll be them doing the deliveries and they'll get shafted by the company and make little to nothing.
a good thing about this country is that you don't have to work for any one company.
Newbie
Oct 11, 2014
29 posts
3 upvotes
Madden, AB
You guys are free to tip 0$ all you want, just don't be surprised when that same delivery guy who you refuse to tip even a dollar shows up with your next order with his added special sauce.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2015 posts
317 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Just ordered sushi made new account used 15MONTREAL seemed to work. Thanks RFD. Tipped 2$ Hope I get my food within an 45 minutes lol

Top