• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 12:10 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just ordered with the code, thanks OP.

Without free delivery though, I'm not really saving that much money. The major perk is getting food from farther places, not really saving much money IMO.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Sep 3, 2009
521 posts
176 upvotes
Calgary
I used to tip at least 10%, after seeing this thread, I lower it to $1 lol, for a very short delivery though, like 2 min driving.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5165 posts
2143 upvotes
elfen2 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:15 pm
Is it better to tip when checking out or when they deliver the food?
so you put in no tip, the food arrives late and cold, the driver looking slightly pissed, then you offer a tip, and he looks weirdly guilty, and you only find out your food tastes a bit more salty than normal, and packaging a bit off.

is this what you want?
Dec 6, 2009
107 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:12 pm
Tip. Get a better job. That said if you are saving 10-20 a toonie is not going to hurt you.
It's cool to see so many people devalue the labourers who are providing them with a service they want. The people shitting on the drivers have probably not worked any kind of low-paying jobs in their life. All workers deserve your respect and dignity. Working fast food jobs while in school was infinitely more demanding and soul-crushing than any comfy office job I've had since and taught me how shitty people treat you when they think of you as being servant-class rather than service-class.

in summary:
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1792 posts
861 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:36 pm
Just ordered with the code, thanks OP.

Without free delivery though, I'm not really saving that much money. The major perk is getting food from farther places, not really saving much money IMO.
Lol talk about choosing beggars. You’re still saving $15 while not having to leave your couch. $15 off is still a great deal, while $20 off with free delivery was frankly ludicrous. I must have placed 20 orders over the weekend. With $15 off it’ll be back to a once per week thing.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
42407 posts
3089 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SkiLLz wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:46 pm
Lol talk about choosing beggars. You’re still saving $15 while not having to leave your couch. $15 off is still a great deal, while $20 off with free shipping was frankly ludicrous.
I actually didn't get on the $20 deal because I was out of town. Not having to "get" my own lunch actually isn't a big deal for me, I prefer the walk during lunch time anyways, and I normally use Ritual so I don't spend much time waiting for my food. Saving money on lunch is more of a motivation for me than the convenience, as if I don't have to walk to get my lunch, I'll most likely go for an afternoon walk anyways because I can't stay in the office for the whole day.
***Bosch GLL1P Bright Single Line and Point Combination Laser $25***
Silver Coins | Bosch Combination Laser | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4986 posts
1222 upvotes
Toronto
FernandoR2 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:15 pm
You can’t be serious? We should feel bad about a company that earns a billion+ in revenue? Skip the dishes earns 25%. Why don’t you go after them for the money? Why don’t you demand fair wages?

These promotions are all write offs for them. It boosts their numbers and makes them look good for investors. You have a very simplistic view. I don’t blame you. The company is screwing you. Me, I’m just enjoying my deal.
yeah he's clearly not that business savvy just let him be
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4986 posts
1222 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:48 pm
I actually didn't get on the $20 deal because I was out of town. Not having to "get" my own lunch actually isn't a big deal for me, I prefer the walk during lunch time anyways, and I normally use Ritual so I don't spend much time waiting for my food. Saving money on lunch is more of a motivation for me than the convenience, as if I don't have to walk to get my lunch, I'll most likely go for an afternoon walk anyways because I can't stay in the office for the whole day.
you are right, if anything these deals are A) increasing our weekly total caloric intake B) decreasing the exercise we would have done we walked or physically went places or burned energy cooking for food
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7938 posts
1612 upvotes
My god I just posted their revenue and profit, and you people are still going on about "earn a $billion" in revenue (NOT profit). No, they do not earn anywhere close to a billion. They make less then 10% of their gross revenue(which includes the fee to sign up), which would not pay their drivers very much more if they went to zero. Yes, there are very clearly numerous people who do not understand "economics", however they are the ones posting "Duh don't tip they "earn" a billion"

If anyone deserves a tip its them, no salary and using their personal car! Which hides some of the cost, but it is there eventually.
Last edited by zoro69 on Jul 10th, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1647 posts
995 upvotes
warranthad wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:45 pm
It's cool to see so many people devalue the labourers who are providing them with a service they want. The people shitting on the drivers have probably not worked any kind of low-paying jobs in their life. All workers deserve your respect and dignity. Working fast food jobs while in school was infinitely more demanding and soul-crushing than any comfy office job I've had since and taught me how shitty people treat you when they think of you as being servant-class rather than service-class.

in summary:
I've been a delivery driver (Pizza Hut) and in the service industry for roughly a decade before I jumped ship. Workers deserve dignity by all means. I treat them kindly and am polite. I've worked crap jobs while in school, while saving for school, while paying off loads of debt, and I am still of the opinion that tips are not right in any industry. The US and Canada are almost entirely unique for tipping culture and I do not approve of it in any way. It's nothing against the workers, but I don't tip anyone on principle. Everyone should work what they are worth, and if they're working as a delivery driver good on em, just don't expect more from me.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Feb 1, 2019
25 posts
55 upvotes
LoANeal wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:34 pm
I've been a delivery driver (Pizza Hut) and in the service industry for roughly a decade before I jumped ship. Workers deserve dignity by all means. I treat them kindly and am polite. I've worked crap jobs while in school, while saving for school, while paying off loads of debt, and I am still of the opinion that tips are not right in any industry. The US and Canada are almost entirely unique for tipping culture and I do not approve of it in any way. It's nothing against the workers, but I don't tip anyone on principle. Everyone should work what they are worth, and if they're working as a delivery driver good on em, just don't expect more from me.
so in conclusion you are a cheapskate?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1647 posts
995 upvotes
burntorange00 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:36 pm
so in conclusion you are a cheapskate?
I believe the RFD term is thrifty but I accept: cheap, poor, destitute, and or any combination of words to actualize that I do not have additional money to waste on what is essentially charity.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3163 posts
2795 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
poopooplatter wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:26 pm
For all the generous tippers out there, do you mind transferring me a few bucks extra for work today? I work in an office, so society doesn't say I get tips, but I work really really hard at my job.

Do you ever wonder why they don't tip in Asia, Europe, South America, and everyone else in world? Because it's stupid, plain and simple. Ya, I'll tip when I'm with a great group. But when I'm alone, no way.
Do you not earn minimum wage? And drive a car and have to pay for fuel and maintenance costs out of your pocket? Pm me your details.

As for the second part, America is exceptional when it comes to tipping because tipping culture evolved out of business owners not wanting to pay their newly freed slaves anything after the Civil War and out of the tipping culture of European elites that American elites wanted to emulate.
Dec 6, 2009
107 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
LoANeal wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:34 pm
It's really principled of you that you refused 10 years of tips doing deliveries and still made a living wage doing it. I'm impressed at how principled of a person you are!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1647 posts
995 upvotes
warranthad wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:46 pm
It's really principled of you that you refused 10 years of tips doing deliveries and still made a living wage doing it. I'm impressed at how principled of a person you are!
Ya kitchen often gets shafted when it comes to tips. But hey it's motivation to get the hell out and into something better. At least it should be.