SkipTheDishes 15$ Off New Users Only!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2019 12:10 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5480 posts
1979 upvotes
Thornhill
Always fun/interesting hearing from both sides of the tipping argument.

If you're not tipping, please do so at shady restaurants that do not tip their waiting staff at all because they pay them under the table in cash below minimum wage. These places make their profit entirely via using patrons tips as undeclared profit on their foods. You know which places these are if you're in the GTA...

These gig-shmucks from STD, etc. are just trying to make a decent wage at the end of the day, and if you got 10% -15% or whatever you can spare on a subsidized meal, it won't break your bank. And if it does, then you shouldn't be ordering out anyways quite frankly just pick it up...
Last edited by Jeenyus1 on Jul 10th, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1648 posts
995 upvotes
crystallight wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:07 pm
So you never tip at restaurants either?
As a rule no. Every restaurant worker got a 26% raise the other year and all the prices went up so they are definitely making whatever I would have tipped them now. I think I've tipped once in the last 18 months and that was cause the place was dead and the server, who was a great guy, hung out with us at the table for literally 2 hours talking about video games, skiing, etc. Was really nice and he was still max serving us while chatting it up the whole time. Was nice, but ya conceptually I don't tip anywhere.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
10039 posts
2665 upvotes
blackbirdman wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 12:08 pm
Still works, just ordered like 3 minutes ago.
For some reason it wouldn't go through on internet explorer. Worked fine on the app.

Enjoyed my Firehouse sub!

THX!
[OP]
Feb 10, 2019
15 posts
128 upvotes
Montreal
zoro69 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 1:30 pm
My god I just posted their revenue and profit, and you people are still going on about "earn a $billion" in revenue (NOT profit). No, they do not earn anywhere close to a billion. They make less then 10% of their gross revenue(which includes the fee to sign up), which would not pay their drivers very much more if they went to zero. Yes, there are very clearly numerous people who do not understand "economics", however they are the ones posting "Duh don't tip they "earn" a billion"

If anyone deserves a tip its them, no salary and using their personal car! Which hides some of the cost, but it is there eventually.
I don’t get why you are so emotionally involved, relax my man.. First off they made 779 million pound dollars which is a over 1.2 billion Canadian. Do you really think a company that’s is poised for growth, will keep this money or spend money investing it on rapid expansion? If you check their “economics” on justeatplc.com/investors/financials/five-year-summary, you’ll notice the lines where they spend most of this on investments (NET CASH OUTFLOW USED IN INVESTMENT ACTIVITIES). Great EBITHA.They have a pretty decent balance sheet with buckets of cash. It’s not good to show a net profit of more than 10% during initial years of growth. All these numbers are fudged to get better funding in the next rounds.

But even with 50 or 10 million net profit, you’re telling me they can’t give an example extra few percentage points to satisfy drivers? But rather you make excuses for a company that doesn’t care about you. Pretty pathetic.
Sep 30, 2013
271 posts
198 upvotes
North Vancouver
LoANeal wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:26 pm
As a rule no. Every restaurant worker got a 26% raise the other year and all the prices went up so they are definitely making whatever I would have tipped them now. I think I've tipped once in the last 18 months and that was cause the place was dead and the server, who was a great guy, hung out with us at the table for literally 2 hours talking about video games, skiing, etc. Was really nice and he was still max serving us while chatting it up the whole time. Was nice, but ya conceptually I don't tip anywhere.
People must love you.

Tipping is the cost of dining in or ordering delivery, it needs to be factored-in, if you can't afford don't dine-in or order delivery, take-out.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14174 posts
3223 upvotes
Just admit that you don't tip because you're cheap and we can move on. None of this principle business, food and wages are already high enough, etc.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6761 posts
35314 upvotes
Guys calm down. Let people do what they want. Stop calling them names if they don't tip.

You guys are acting like Pride parade that banned UBC or one of those relgion who knocks on your door and try to convine you to join their religion. I think it was John something.

You like to tip, that's okay. You don't like to tip. That's okay too.

Tipping will get the food faster? Maybe.

Gas station
Do you tip the attendant? They shold be tipped since they are providing a service for you. If you don't tip, they won't clean your windows and will ding your car with the gas nozzle.

Police Officers

Officer giving you a ticket and a quick driving lesson.
Do you tip the officer? If you did, they may charge you less. If you don't they will charge you full price and show up to court when you dispute the ticket.

Vancouver minicipal election
Do you tip your voters? One party thought it was a good idea to tip their voters who spent their valuble time to vote. They offered $20 on wechat.
Jan 23, 2019
16 posts
10 upvotes
I wanted to share a "tipping" experience I had with SkipTheDishes. Like many here, I abused STD promos lol. One of my orders, was a McDonald's order that game to 20.xx$ and i was using a 20$ off coupon. Order total came to like 5-6$. Tipping? 0.00$
Order goes thru, Restaurant confirmed it @ 10pm. Then I wait... and I wait... 30minutes pass, and still no driver... At around 10:45pm, a driver was found. He drove over to McDonald's, and I saw him stay there for a long time... at around 11pm, his GPS spot disappears, and now STD is back at finding a driver...

All this to say, would I had included a nice tip, I'm fairly confident my food would've been delivered quickly. But I didn't tip, and waited, and waited, and after an entire hour, customer service was able to refund my order (because by that time, the restaurant itself had closed and i couldn't place any other order). AND I AM COMPLETELY OKAY WITH IT! This is the price I willingly pay in order to avoid tipping. I understand that not tipping might get my food delayed, and that's the price I'm willing to pay.

Of course, if i was starving or couldn't wait, instead of tipping, i would just cook myself something, or find any other alternative that can get me my food at a reasonable price lol
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2080 posts
157 upvotes
The discount code worked but app and website failed when trying to process the orders earlier today.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Nov 30, 2011
124 posts
73 upvotes
ATTENTION EVERYBODY: 20Montreal is on again! Probably won't last past 4:30pm, so hurry and get your orders in.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1648 posts
995 upvotes
TGoyel wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:30 pm
People must love you.

Tipping is the cost of dining in or ordering delivery, it needs to be factored-in, if you can't afford don't dine-in or order delivery, take-out.
Tipping is the cost of subsidizing the owner not paying their employees. I can afford to eat out rather frequently because I don't tip. I pay higher prices with minimum wage but when factoring in not tipping I'm about at the same point. Why would I choose not to enjoy life because government raised prices when I don't have to?
Last edited by LoANeal on Jul 10th, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7953 posts
1615 upvotes
" First off they made 779 million pound dollars which is a over 1.2 billion Canadia"

They DID Not! they GROSSED that amount,spent 90% of it on...salaries and drivers, and advertising etc. they net 10%. God it takes 30 seconds to look it up (of course requires a half a brain to understand revenue /= "profit"). They made 10% because...the drivers get what they get.

That is 10% of their fee...which is very very little of what you spent on the meal + fee.
Last edited by zoro69 on Jul 10th, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5480 posts
1979 upvotes
Thornhill
Seph1123 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 2:34 pm
I wanted to share a "tipping" experience I had with SkipTheDishes. Like many here, I abused STD promos lol. One of my orders, was a McDonald's order that game to 20.xx$ and i was using a 20$ off coupon. Order total came to like 5-6$. Tipping? 0.00$
Order goes thru, Restaurant confirmed it @ 10pm. Then I wait... and I wait... 30minutes pass, and still no driver... At around 10:45pm, a driver was found. He drove over to McDonald's, and I saw him stay there for a long time... at around 11pm, his GPS spot disappears, and now STD is back at finding a driver...

All this to say, would I had included a nice tip, I'm fairly confident my food would've been delivered quickly. But I didn't tip, and waited, and waited, and after an entire hour, customer service was able to refund my order (because by that time, the restaurant itself had closed and i couldn't place any other order). AND I AM COMPLETELY OKAY WITH IT! This is the price I willingly pay in order to avoid tipping. I understand that not tipping might get my food delayed, and that's the price I'm willing to pay.

Of course, if i was starving or couldn't wait, instead of tipping, i would just cook myself something, or find any other alternative that can get me my food at a reasonable price lol
Which in my honest opinion proves that the STD business model actually is working as intended. Supply and demand is dictating the customer experience in terms of what STD is providing as it should.