[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1056 posts
458 upvotes
TORONTO

Skunk sprayed my dog, again.... Best treatment

Hi all,
couldn't find a thread about skunk odor treatment for pets, so I decided to start this thread.

My dog got sprayed again. Literally once a year since we moved into our home in 2016. Aside from pest proofing my backyard my dog seems to always find a way to get sprayed.

During these times I have resorted to the popular google result of peroxide, baking soda and dish soap/pet shampoo. It's worked for the most part. Just sucks when you realize your backups are done. It's kind of a hassle to put these things together especially if you run out of one thing.

That being said I didn't realize there were pre made remedies sold at pet stores. Natures Miracle seems to be a popular one. But the reviews on Petsmarts site are polarizing. Amazon has a ton of reviews and most seem positive.

Now I would like to know what fellow RFDers have used and seemed to work.

And aside from deodorizing my dog I've found that bowls of Vinegar work well for inside your home. Highly suggest Allans double strength cleaning vinegar. Unfortunately it doesn't work spraying your dog in the face with it /s.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3328 posts
610 upvotes
For us, we hoped the groomer or the vet would be open - we had a double-coated very hairy white dog.

But if not, we would have first coated our dog's coat with regular toothpaste (groomers do this I was told by our groomer), then they apply the normal baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and Dawn dish detergent (Dawn is the best product to use). Then there is the product sold by vets and groomers - I think it is called "Skunked". Groomers do use a special whitening treatment on white dogs as well since skunk spray is yellow. No doubt they also have professional level products.

DO NOT USE tomato juice. It won't work.

Also, once the pup is de-skunked his/her collar and any other equipment that was sprayed will have to go. When our pup was at the vet's or groomer's I would see other clients come in and say that they had had their dogs in for de-skunking treatment but they still smelled. They had kept the same collar/harness etc. - that was why.

You have to watch your dog's eyes. Being sprayed in the eyes by a skunk is not good, particularly if the pup has existing eye issues which ours did.

Of course spraying your dog in the face with vinegar of any strength is definitely a no-no.

Fortunately, despite being 16.5 years of age our dog was never sprayed by a skunk. I don't know why. He definitely should have been. We crossed paths many times with skunks and our dog was very curious, but for some unknown reason they gave him a pass. I am very grateful. We have a lot of skunks, raccoons, Coyotes, rabbits, squirrels (now squirrels went after our dog) you name it in our densely populated area of Toronto. I really hated it when those bushes started moving at night. Of course our guy was very interested.

We kept the de-skunking supplies on hand just in case. Every 6 months I replaced the bottles of hydrogen peroxide.

Some people (and their dogs) get sprayed multiple times a year. Horrible, I know! Many of the people on our street have had their dogs (and themselves) sprayed and they couldn't believe that our little fuzzbutt wasn't sprayed - high prey drive and all.
Mar 11, 2017
46 posts
11 upvotes
When our Boy was sprayed, we used Coca-cola, and Im trying to remember what else after a recommendation by a friend and checking the world wide web.. worked well.
BUt this sucks huge.
May 12, 2009
789 posts
343 upvotes
We've used Head & Shoulders with good results - but it can dry out the dog's skin because it really cuts through the oil so make sure to use conditioner after.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12028 posts
394 upvotes
The answers above are pretty much right on. We've had to clean our cat twice this year. Pop the animal into a bathtub with shower head and use this formula in a large tupperware or small bucket:

1 pint 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/3 cup baking soda
long squirt of Dawn dishwashing detergent (for some reason a lot of people say "blue" and that's what we have in our kit....I don't think it makes a difference)

Mix that into a creamy liquid.

Get your animal well wetted, and start putting handfuls of the mixture above into the coat. Stay AWAY from eyes/ears and muzzle, everything else is fair game. Rub it in deep and vigorously until you run out of it and then keep working it in for a couple of minutes. Rinse well. Really well. Keep rinsing, make sure that peroxide is gone.

I can attest that any area it touches will be completely skunk free. You can literally jam your nose up against the wet fur and not smell it if you're thorough.