Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON

Skylight Blinds

I'm thinking about getting a shade or blinds for my skylight to keep the heat out during the summertime. Looking for recommedations on where i should get a quote from?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10388 posts
5604 upvotes
Paris
monkeyphs wrote: I'm thinking about getting a shade or blinds for my skylight to keep the heat out during the summertime. Looking for recommedations on where i should get a quote from?
I have been thinking the same for our cottage. I can reach my skylight, so I am thinking of getting a cellular blind and just retrimming the inside of the skylight. Only for those ridiculous July days.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9046 posts
763 upvotes
Just curious, if there is a need for a blind to just a skyline, what about those all glass top sunroom ?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1421 posts
418 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote: I have been thinking the same for our cottage. I can reach my skylight, so I am thinking of getting a cellular blind and just retrimming the inside of the skylight. Only for those ridiculous July days.
we have one IIRC that was bought from a skylight installer about a decade back. Its screwed in at both ends and has wires/cord on the sides which the blinds ride on. It came with an extra long handle to open/close it from below and it cuts down on heat coming in during summer and possibly heat escaping during winter. before it we could feel the heat as we climb the stairs. i wouldn't get a regular blind and try to modify it
Jul 1, 2005
547 posts
160 upvotes
monkeyphs wrote: I'm thinking about getting a shade or blinds for my skylight to keep the heat out during the summertime. Looking for recommedations on where i should get a quote from?
Have used BlindsToGo https://www.blindstogo.com twice and I'm a happy customer. I used once for skylight blinds and once for basement windows. Custom sized, you measure or you pay them to have someone do measure. Decent price/quality.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Our skylight is above the stairs that lead to our 3rd floor bedroom. So we can't really measure and install ourselves very easily.

It gets really bright early and hot in the summer time. Sunrise
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10388 posts
5604 upvotes
Paris
monkeyphs wrote: Thanks for the input, everyone.

Our skylight is above the stairs that lead to our 3rd floor bedroom. So we can't really measure and install ourselves very easily.

It gets really bright early and hot in the summer time. Sunrise
I wonder if switching the glass itself might make sense for you instead? Would need to be done from the roof I think.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
We got it updated like 6 years ago when we re-did the shingles. Not sure if it made a difference but also hard to tell because heat always rises up to 3rd floor.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12490 posts
3674 upvotes
GTA
What brand is your skylight? Perhaps the manufacturer makes them. I know Velux does their own line of blinds.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Nov 29, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Hugh Jass wrote: What brand is your skylight? Perhaps the manufacturer makes them. I know Velux does their own line of blinds.
Thanks for the suggestion. We have a Velux. We'll reach out to them.