Shopping Discussion

Skype for Smart TV Class action / compensation?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2017 2:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3750 posts
232 upvotes
Montreal

Skype for Smart TV Class action / compensation?

So Microsoft pulled the Skype application from all the Smart TVs in 2016. But, it was still working for me & others until 1 month ago, unofficially. You just couldn't download it anymore. Now it looks like its gone for good, username/password denied for any account on the TV, and the app deleted by Samsung shortly after.

The problem is that we bought a Samsung Camera that only works for TVs which is now a 100$ paperweight. We got less than 2 years out of it, and officially, 1 year. It doesn't even have drivers for Windows or Mac, and there no other applications in Samsung's TV App store that would allow for any videoconferencing at all. It's a product with zero use-cases. (Well, you can take selfies in your TV)

I think these cameras should be refunded for 75% of their value. Thinking of reaching out to Office de la Protection du Consomateur, but I assume that will be a waste of time. At this point I'd be happy with a cash-value coupon to buy a Samsung product. Call samsung and said there is no compensation, didn't bother trying to escalate.

Thoughts?
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6987 posts
1757 upvotes
The issue is with Microsoft not Samsung and not sure there's No implied warranty that software will be supported forever. It's likely not going to be resolved legally but you could try and see what Samsung would do as a.goodwill gesture
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3750 posts
232 upvotes
Montreal
I'm not a customer of Microsoft.

I'm a customer of Samsung who sold me a camera who's only purpose is to use Skype. There is no Samsung Video calling. The implied commitment is that the service will be functional for some reasonably long amount of time.

It's like selling someone a coffee machine that only supports 1 type of coffee, and then ceasing production 1 year later. The fact that different companies doesn't necessarily clear them from responsibility.

Taking this argument a step further, what if Skype was run by a company called "Samsung VideoConf inc" which was created as a separate entity. Would you dissolve Samsung of responsibility then, just because technically, on paper they were different companies?

Companies are responsible to maintain their partnerships on behalf of customers. Weather legally responsibly is possibly a separate debate, but we all know it's not right that they can just walk away.

If you bought an iPhone and Carl Zeiss decided to remotely disable your camera, you would be entitled to compensation.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3187 posts
2853 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
cloneman wrote: I'm not a customer of Microsoft.

I'm a customer of Samsung who sold me a camera who's only purpose is to use Skype.
...and Skype isn't a service provided by Samsung. I suspect somewhere in their TOC (you know...the same TOC that you accepted, most likely without reading even the first line) Samsung says that they're not responsible for the reliability of third party products. Skype likely had a segment saying the service is subject to modification or discontinuation at any time.
There is no Samsung Video calling. The implied commitment is that the service will be functional for some reasonably long amount of time.

And I would submit that Samsung provided and offered the service in good faith, so any action you take against them would likely fail.
It's like selling someone a coffee machine that only supports 1 type of coffee, and then ceasing production 1 year later.

Using that analogy, let's say you buy a Keurig machine, but they don't make the pods. They're selling the pods, but suddenly the pod manufacturer ceases production. Is it
The fact that different companies doesn't necessarily clear them from responsibility.

Actually, yes it does.
Taking this argument a step further, what if Skype was run by a company called "Samsung VideoConf inc" which was created as a separate entity. Would you dissolve Samsung of responsibility then, just because technically, on paper they were different companies?
Yes it would.
Companies are responsible to maintain their partnerships on behalf of customers.

No they're not. If one of the partners ceases to provide the service, unless it's a strict contractual partnership with guarantees of service, there's nothing that can be done.
Weather legally responsibly is possibly a separate debate, but we all know it's not right that they can just walk away.
If they're not providing the service, they're not walking away from anything.
If you bought an iPhone and Carl Zeiss decided to remotely disable your camera, you would be entitled to compensation.
From Zeiss, yes. However, if Zeiss simply stopped providing the service, and it was outlined in the TOC that you agreed to that they could do stop providing the service, then you wouldn't be entitled to anything.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Apr 14, 2006
410 posts
270 upvotes
I'm not a fan of Samsung but I try to avoid buying anything that only works on a propriety system or software. As you have learned if the system goes down you are basically screwed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5925 posts
3486 upvotes
You bought it 2 years ago and I doubt that Samsung would give a warranty longer than 1 year.

If some archaic law exists in Quebec that the company needs to provide support in perpetuity it would just be another reason for companies to not sell or have headquarters in Quebec.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24588 posts
34246 upvotes
Toronto
Let it go. Nobody is going to do anything for you.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3750 posts
232 upvotes
Montreal
I'm going to write a letter to Samsung seeking compensation.

I will inform no one of the result due to the negativity of the thread. Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Mar 22, 2017
6 posts
6 upvotes
Is it a 3D TV as well? If so, tell them to give you money back for that feature too since no one makes 3D movies anymore.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14372 posts
3612 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Not the same, as you can always watch existing 3D movies. Please try again.