Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
232 posts
207 upvotes
Ottawa

[Sleep Country] Sealy posturepedic queen sized mattress for $499

Went in, looking for a new mattress for our tall 13 year old. Sales guy told us that this is their Black Friday best deal in the place. Do I believe him? Enough to put down a deposit and keep researching.

So if you're looking for a mattress and want to know what the Sleep Country black Friday deal is, here you go. It's all memory foam, no coils or anything.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Last edited by snazarella on Nov 26th, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
32 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1100 posts
421 upvotes
Avoid any of the S brands mattresses. They use cheap materials and are highly marked up.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
232 posts
207 upvotes
Ottawa
Dante19 wrote: Avoid any of the S brands mattresses. They use cheap materials and are highly marked up.
Fair point. Are there others you'd suggest? I'm also considering IKEA'S BF sale.
Jul 11, 2005
892 posts
27 upvotes
I am also looking for a mattress, particularly a foam mattress but so confused by the choices...
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1100 posts
421 upvotes
snazarella wrote: Fair point. Are there others you'd suggest? I'm also considering IKEA'S BF sale.
I went down the mattress rabbit hole recently and these are my general thoughts on the experience:

- Don't trust online reviews. Most of them are bought or use affiliate links so they keep them very general and don't talk about the negatives of a product.

- Everyone's body is different so don't trust people's opinions about mattresses. Everyone's threshold for soft/medium/firm is different and your body may not find comfortable what others do.

- Stay away from Sleep Country, S brands, traditional brick and mortar brands, they're highly marked up and/or use cheap materials

- Research mattress durability guidelines on the mattressunderground. Great guide and that website is a good resource for mattress info that will help you make an informed purchase.

- Bed in box companies/Costco are good options because they allow you 100 days to try their product before committing. But beware some user lower quality materials compared to others (Novosbed, Douglas, Polysleep, etc.)

- I've found the best value in terms of price for quality of materials is with Silk & Snow (sold through their website) and Fleep (sold through Costco). Their memory foam mattresses (Fleep/S&S both) use good quality foam densities and their hybrid mattress (S&S only) is less expensive and contains more pocket coils than similar models (eg logan and cove)

- You won't know until you try. You may think you need softer/firmer or your body doesn't like a certain type of materials but try for at least 4 weeks before you make that judgment. I convinced myself memory foam would be best for me and I ended up returning both of the ones I ordered because they were giving me pain.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2018
232 posts
207 upvotes
Ottawa
Dante19 wrote: I went down the mattress rabbit hole recently and these are my general thoughts on the experience:

- Don't trust online reviews. Most of them are bought or use affiliate links so they keep them very general and don't talk about the negatives of a product.

- Everyone's body is different so don't trust people's opinions about mattresses. Everyone's threshold for soft/medium/firm is different and your body may not find comfortable what others do.

- Stay away from Sleep Country, S brands, traditional brick and mortar brands, they're highly marked up and/or use cheap materials

- Research mattress durability guidelines on the mattressunderground. Great guide and that website is a good resource for mattress info that will help you make an informed purchase.

- Bed in box companies/Costco are good options because they allow you 100 days to try their product before committing. But beware some user lower quality materials compared to others (Novosbed, Douglas, Polysleep, etc.)

- I've found the best value in terms of price for quality of materials is with Silk & Snow (sold through their website) and Fleep (sold through Costco). Their memory foam mattresses (Fleep/S&S both) use good quality foam densities and their hybrid mattress (S&S only) is less expensive and contains more pocket coils than similar models (eg logan and cove)

- You won't know until you try. You may think you need softer/firmer or your body doesn't like a certain type of materials but try for at least 4 weeks before you make that judgment. I convinced myself memory foam would be best for me and I ended up returning both of the ones I ordered because they were giving me pain.
Wow thank you. That's really helpful.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1817 posts
951 upvotes
Markham
Dante19 wrote: I went down the mattress rabbit hole recently and these are my general thoughts on the experience:

Really amazing post. Thank you.
-------
Thank you
Oct 29, 2019
24 posts
18 upvotes

I was looking into getting a Novosbed mattress, were you saying that Novosbed uses lower quality compared to others?

I never looked up S&S before, do they generally use more/better quality material compared to Novosbed?
Nov 25, 2019
16 posts
12 upvotes
I had my eyes for this exact item as well. I went to Sleep Country and tried the Bekker. It's too soft for me, and I'm looking for a firm Innerspring bed for my back support (not that I need it, but it helps me to recover well when I have a long day sitting at the office).

I'm currently hooked up with Sealy HD series at Leon's which they have on Black Friday sale too.

@Dante19
Dante19 wrote:

What's wrong the the S brand mattress?? Is it also still highly marked up even during this Black Friday sale??
Last edited by supermariored on Nov 26th, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1319 posts
306 upvotes
Ottawa
Whoa, rare these days for someone to take the time and explain the pain they went through to select a product.
I do have one question for you, since the Silk&Snow proposition is intriguing...they have only been around for 2 years, so what are the chances the 15yr warranty will mean something?
To be or not to be...where is the question?
Sep 27, 2010
94 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto

I went through this exact same process, I can tell you also spent may hours online researching endless youtube videos and sites.

Agree, anyone that spends enough time will also find this to be true.

This can easily be determine by reading multiple reviews.

I have come to realize brick and mortar sales will be phased out over time. The cost of paying rent and employees to showcase mattresses will not stand the test of time. Traditional brands will change the nature of their business if they want to stay alive, most likely targeting bed in a box acquisitions. You can buy an equivalent quality mattress online for a fraction of the cost.

i also found this site very useful.

I was going to take the Costco route because of their return policy. I decided I wanted a hybrid mattress and Costco's offerings were limited. Bed in a box 100 days return policy made me feel more comfortable buying online.

My research was based on hybrid mattresses, this is were we tend to have a difference in opinion. I found mattresses up to 1,800 coils for a king size mattress. The number of coils do not make one mattress superior than the other. The diameter of the coils would be different and support would not be the same. In some designs the coils have two layers one on top of the other. The design needs to function with the memory foam on top, unlike coil mattresses that use only the coils.

Agree, it's not easy to find the right mattress, but I believe bed in a box is an excellent way to find the right mattress at the right price. I purchased our bed in a box 5 weeks ago, the wife was against it at the time. We still have 7 weeks to decide if we keep it, looks like it's staying. Returns should be hassle free, I'm sorry to hear you didn't find the right mattress yet.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1100 posts
421 upvotes
calcugator wrote:
I was looking into getting a Novosbed mattress, were you saying that Novosbed uses lower quality compared to others?

I never looked up S&S before, do they generally use more/better quality material compared to Novosbed?
Yes, Novosbed does use lower quality foam density compared to what's recommended for durability, and especially for what they're charging. The thing about Novosbed is that they recently (maybe 6 or so months ago) switched the foam densities of their mattresses. The last gen mattresses used higher quality foam, which is fine except all those reviews on their websites are for the previous gen mattress. So it's a misleading practice to plaster thousands of reviews on their websites for their current models when the internals were changed up since those reviews were written.
ipse wrote: Whoa, rare these days for someone to take the time and explain the pain they went through to select a product.
I do have one question for you, since the Silk&Snow proposition is intriguing...they have only been around for 2 years, so what are the chances the 15yr warranty will mean something?
That's pretty much the question for all these companies. None of them have been around for longer than their advertised warranty lenghts. If you do choose to go the bed in a box route I'd suggestion buying something that uses higher quality materials to offset this risk, or to buy something that uses lower quality materials but make sure the price reflects that and you're prepared to upgrade every few years or so. If you buy direct from Costco you have the benefit of their return policy backing you up in case the company does go belly up.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1100 posts
421 upvotes
Playdo wrote: Agree, it's not easy to find the right mattress, but I believe bed in a box is an excellent way to find the right mattress at the right price. I purchased our bed in a box 5 weeks ago, the wife was against it at the time. We still have 7 weeks to decide if we keep it, looks like it's staying. Returns should be hassle free, I'm sorry to hear you didn't find the right mattress yet.
I did find the right mattress for me. I settled on the Silk & Snow Hybrid. I tried the Novosbed, Fleep, and another brand from Costco before settling. All the returns were hassle free.
Sep 27, 2010
94 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Dante19 wrote: I did find the right mattress for me. I settled on the Silk & Snow Hybrid. I tried the Novosbed, Fleep, and another brand from Costco before settling. All the returns were hassle free.
I'm glad your your story ends well. I agree with everything you posted, I also spend hours searching and came to the exact same conclusions.

However the mattresses we purchase was the Logan and Cove and we couldn't be happier. Thats two happy endings.
Sep 15, 2018
130 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
can someone suggest a brand for odd sized bed?
I have a bed which measures 160cmx205cm (european sized)
Can't find a matching mattress anywhere