[Sleep Country] Sealy posturepedic queen sized mattress for $499

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
peepthetoad wrote: can someone suggest a brand for odd sized bed?
I have a bed which measures 160cmx205cm (european sized)
Can't find a matching mattress anywhere
I've been down this path before. It's pretty tough to find a custom size mattress. Have you tried a local manufacturer? In the Ottawa area there is this -- https://www.matelaslapensee.ca/
Nov 15, 2005
59 posts
3 upvotes
So since it's likely a 'black friday weekend sale' for any of the mattress or furniture places, anyone have a recommendation for a good deal on a queen mattress?
compliments of your friendly neighbourhood sandman.........
Nov 25, 2018
86 posts
77 upvotes
I got myself a Silk&Snow hybrid queen about 2 months ago … definitely the best mattress ive ever owned. Its funny cus my old bed was firm (or maybe just super old and shitty) and with my back issues I always assumed I needed firmer, but this hybrid is softer than the one I had and by far the BEST sleep ever lol for comparisons sake, im 6'6 and about 300lbs and my back problems are no more when I wake up. I recommend this mattress to anyone who cares to listen , good luck hunting!
Sep 15, 2018
130 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
therog wrote: I've been down this path before. It's pretty tough to find a custom size mattress. Have you tried a local manufacturer? In the Ottawa area there is this -- https://www.matelaslapensee.ca/
I will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
2854 posts
1613 upvotes
Montreal
broogie wrote: I got myself a Silk&Snow hybrid queen about 2 months ago … definitely the best mattress ive ever owned. Its funny cus my old bed was firm (or maybe just super old and shitty) and with my back issues I always assumed I needed firmer, but this hybrid is softer than the one I had and by far the BEST sleep ever lol for comparisons sake, im 6'6 and about 300lbs and my back problems are no more when I wake up. I recommend this mattress to anyone who cares to listen , good luck hunting!
Weird thing I found about S&S is that if you go on the US website, it says MADE IN THE USA and if you go on the Canadian website, it says Made in Canada
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2007
1129 posts
194 upvotes
Dante19 wrote: Avoid any of the S brands mattresses. They use cheap materials and are highly marked up.
When you say S brand do you mean Sealy and Serta?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1012 posts
415 upvotes
I price matched Leon’s for a queen bed and ended up with a Kyla bed queen for $220 taxes in...
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1391 posts
191 upvotes
Dante19 wrote: I went down the mattress rabbit hole recently and these are my general thoughts on the experience:

- Don't trust online reviews. Most of them are bought or use affiliate links so they keep them very general and don't talk about the negatives of a product.

- Everyone's body is different so don't trust people's opinions about mattresses. Everyone's threshold for soft/medium/firm is different and your body may not find comfortable what others do.

- Stay away from Sleep Country, S brands, traditional brick and mortar brands, they're highly marked up and/or use cheap materials

- Research mattress durability guidelines on the mattressunderground. Great guide and that website is a good resource for mattress info that will help you make an informed purchase.

- Bed in box companies/Costco are good options because they allow you 100 days to try their product before committing. But beware some user lower quality materials compared to others (Novosbed, Douglas, Polysleep, etc.)

- I've found the best value in terms of price for quality of materials is with Silk & Snow (sold through their website) and Fleep (sold through Costco). Their memory foam mattresses (Fleep/S&S both) use good quality foam densities and their hybrid mattress (S&S only) is less expensive and contains more pocket coils than similar models (eg logan and cove)

- You won't know until you try. You may think you need softer/firmer or your body doesn't like a certain type of materials but try for at least 4 weeks before you make that judgment. I convinced myself memory foam would be best for me and I ended up returning both of the ones I ordered because they were giving me pain.
Many thanks for this!

I haven't been able to find what/if Costco has a specific mattress online return policy. Is the time line their standard item "satisfaction" policy? Does it need to be physically returned to the store or would they pick up like other bed in a box online retailers?

Ordered a mattress a few months ago that my elderly mom says is making her (already) bad back worse and it won't fit my vehicle for a physical return. Costco hasn't been picking up their phones, probably due to BF :(
Jul 24, 2014
60 posts
11 upvotes
Westmount, QC
i spent a day reading reddit threads before shopping for a mattress last week. Went to the bay, tried them all out to narrow down the type if mattress i wanted, and then went to a mattress manufacturer to order one. Reddit really pushed the point that mattresses are way overpriced so you really need to negotiate a deal, but that didn't work at the bay (they told me it was already on sale so that's the best they could do, even though i spent a good 40 minutes there testing things out and was ready to buy). Anyway, i got more mattress for my money at a local manufacturer, and they modify or exchange it if im not happy. I went with coils/latex/pillow top.
Dec 22, 2016
46 posts
12 upvotes
bobfrommtl wrote: i spent a day reading reddit threads before shopping for a mattress last week. Went to the bay, tried them all out to narrow down the type if mattress i wanted, and then went to a mattress manufacturer to order one. Reddit really pushed the point that mattresses are way overpriced so you really need to negotiate a deal, but that didn't work at the bay (they told me it was already on sale so that's the best they could do, even though i spent a good 40 minutes there testing things out and was ready to buy). Anyway, i got more mattress for my money at a local manufacturer, and they modify or exchange it if im not happy. I went with coils/latex/pillow top.
I was on the same search a while back and was interested in trying a latex. I found a local store that carries some models. I'm curious how you felt about the smell. Does it bother you or does it go away eventually?
Jul 24, 2014
60 posts
11 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Daisy91 wrote: I was on the same search a while back and was interested in trying a latex. I found a local store that carries some models. I'm curious how you felt about the smell. Does it bother you or does it go away eventually?
I didn't get the mattress yet so ill have to get back to you on that (the place i went to has a 2 week wait time since they are all made-to-order). Whatever i tried in store had no noticeable smell..or maybe the mattress had been there long enough for the smell to go away.
Oct 24, 2005
778 posts
99 upvotes
Dante19 wrote: I went down the mattress rabbit hole recently and these are my general thoughts on the experience:

- Don't trust online reviews. Most of them are bought or use affiliate links so they keep them very general and don't talk about the negatives of a product.

- Everyone's body is different so don't trust people's opinions about mattresses. Everyone's threshold for soft/medium/firm is different and your body may not find comfortable what others do.

- Stay away from Sleep Country, S brands, traditional brick and mortar brands, they're highly marked up and/or use cheap materials

- Research mattress durability guidelines on the mattressunderground. Great guide and that website is a good resource for mattress info that will help you make an informed purchase.

- Bed in box companies/Costco are good options because they allow you 100 days to try their product before committing. But beware some user lower quality materials compared to others (Novosbed, Douglas, Polysleep, etc.)

- I've found the best value in terms of price for quality of materials is with Silk & Snow (sold through their website) and Fleep (sold through Costco). Their memory foam mattresses (Fleep/S&S both) use good quality foam densities and their hybrid mattress (S&S only) is less expensive and contains more pocket coils than similar models (eg logan and cove)

- You won't know until you try. You may think you need softer/firmer or your body doesn't like a certain type of materials but try for at least 4 weeks before you make that judgment. I convinced myself memory foam would be best for me and I ended up returning both of the ones I ordered because they were giving me pain.
Excellent post, thank you.

Seeing as though you've already been down the rabbit hole, are there threads or resources you could point us to learn more about each manufacturer so we can try to figure out what makes sense for us?

I was thinking about novosbed, but I didn't know about the bait and switch.

Which ones at Costco would you recommend? Just Fleep?

Why do you recommend hybrid? I was thinking of just going with memory foam.

I'd love to hear more from you, since you really know what you're talking about! Do you have other posts on RFD about your research?
Nov 25, 2018
86 posts
77 upvotes
I think its tough for anyone to recommend a certain style that will fit you, as your issues could be different (unless you are both looking at same thing, with same physical attributes/concerns perhaps) and that's why I truly like getting these mattress-in-a-box company, as they allow you to try their bed for 100 nights before you have to decide whether to keep or return. My gf's brother just bought a mattress from some company warehouse down in Burnaby,BC and he paid about 150$ less than my Silk n Snow mattress, but they have a basic 14 day return policy (I think). Sometimes it's hard to tell after a short period whether its a good mattress for you. Hopefully Dante can share his thoughts on what he went with and why he returned 2 memory foam beds ^
Mar 12, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
Yeah, I'm skeptical with trying mattresses at outlet stores as my sense is that in-store models are designed to feel great when you try, but they are not built to last. I think that's why there's so many negative experiences with the sertas and sealys models.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1100 posts
421 upvotes
kuzi wrote: When you say S brand do you mean Sealy and Serta?
Sealy, Serta, Simmons, Stearns and Foster
bobor wrote: Many thanks for this!

I haven't been able to find what/if Costco has a specific mattress online return policy. Is the time line their standard item "satisfaction" policy? Does it need to be physically returned to the store or would they pick up like other bed in a box online retailers?

Ordered a mattress a few months ago that my elderly mom says is making her (already) bad back worse and it won't fit my vehicle for a physical return. Costco hasn't been picking up their phones, probably due to BF :(
Costco will pick it up. Usually beds shipped from Costco have a trial (100 days), however if they don't they are covered under Costco's satisfaction guarantee. Just don't abuse and return a mattress years from when you bought it.
mattchoo wrote: Excellent post, thank you.

Seeing as though you've already been down the rabbit hole, are there threads or resources you could point us to learn more about each manufacturer so we can try to figure out what makes sense for us?

I was thinking about novosbed, but I didn't know about the bait and switch.

Which ones at Costco would you recommend? Just Fleep?

Why do you recommend hybrid? I was thinking of just going with memory foam.

I'd love to hear more from you, since you really know what you're talking about! Do you have other posts on RFD about your research?
I've tried Fleep from Costco and I thought it was a quality mattress, it just wasn't for me. I tried a Springwall at Costco (who is a manufacturer from Toronto, that also makes mattresses for other BiB companies), and again it was good but just not right for me.

I don't recommend a hybrid, that's just what I went with. As I was saying, everyone is different in terms of their comfort levels and body's needs. I thought I "needed" a memory foam mattress and once I tried a hybrid I found out that it was right for me.

I used the mattress underground as a resource to educate myself on the materials and questions I should be asking when mattress shopping. There's a plethora of information regarding durability guidelines, mattress materials, composition, etc.