• Feb 19th, 2020 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6738 posts
3140 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Over the years, I finally understand mattress is a total scam.
The best thing you can do for your back and your back will thank you when you get older is use a piece of plywood as slats and put on a thin layer (like 2 inch) of mattress and you will never need to change it.
It gives you the support for the core and comfort for the bones.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14395 posts
2898 upvotes
Toronto
Here is another twist to mattresses and how I shop:

- Buy one of the big 3 brands (Simmons, Serta, Sealy) mattress sets from Sleep Country or the like.

- Always buy the mattress protector that the store recommends. Yes, it will cost more but it is your guaranty for warranty. Stains and the like on the mattress set means no warranty.

- Make sure you have a bed frame that offers a good centre support. This is to make sure that the mattress does not cave under the body weight and void the warranty.

- Most of them have a 10 year non pro rated warranty. They claim that warranty is if there is more than 1.5 inch depression (i.e. https://www.simmons.com/Warranties/Warr ... ter-Detail)

- Note that pillowtop, memory foam types will ALL form depressions. Since foam depression is not covered under warranty, you will be sleeping on a hammock by year 10. (note this line in the simmons warranty "Normal changes in softness or recovery time of high density foams, including memory foam, due to normal use, temperature, or humidity.")

- On year 9, if you feel that the mattress is getting depressed, measure the depression. If it is over 1.5 inch, you can make a warranty claim. Stores like Sleep Country have a online process where you take lots of pictures, show a ruler with the depression and that there is no stains. If all is well, they will email you a voucher to go to the local store to order the direct replacement for it.

I have gone through this process and basically paid $700 on a Queen size set 16 years ago and my sleep set is just fine now :)

BTW, I don't work for any retailer and just telling you how my process worked at Sleep Country. Others may be the same but I find the bigger the chain, the simpler the process.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Jan 2, 2019
347 posts
48 upvotes
What's wrong with the S brands, I bought one of the S brand, forgot which one, but it lasted me a few years and it's still good. Maybe I'm just not as picky, give me a firm mattress and I'm good.