• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 2:20 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2007
22 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

[Sleep Country] Sleep Country - Online, In-store tip in thread

I went in-store today at Markham, Ontario and they said 15% off today, 10% off for the weekend.

RFD IN STORE tip: you can place a 10% deposit on a product to lock-in the price, the deposit is fully refundable anytime as long as the product is not delivered. But buyers beware, their return policy AFTER a product is delivered is horrible. $50 to return and exchange for another product or store credit. They do not offer full refunds like other mattress in a box online retailers.

Hope you guys score a deal!
29 replies
Dec 24, 2017
74 posts
120 upvotes
Anyone have experience with the Malouf pillows?

Pretty expensive, but have been eying them for a while, and at BOGO it seems like as good as a time to buy as ever.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2605 posts
922 upvotes
Nunavut
Lenx wrote: I went in-store today at Markham, Ontario and they said 15% off today, 10% off for the weekend.

RFD IN STORE tip: you can place a 10% deposit on a product to lock-in the price, the deposit is fully refundable anytime as long as the product is not delivered. But buyers beware, their return policy AFTER a product is delivered is horrible. $50 to return and exchange for another product or store credit. They do not offer full refunds like other mattress in a box online retailers.

Hope you guys score a deal!
Sorry these are BS sales, no one should ever take just a standard run of the mill sale like this from these guys

My long short story - this summer went in for a mattress, sticker price said $3200, guy says there's a sale on (no signs anywhere), writes down $1999 on a card, we call in 2 days later asking for better as The Brick has so and so same brand mattress for some made up price that we wanted to pay, no problem he says I'll write up a price match

Paid ~$1550 after tax

Moral - never accept 10-15% off, huge markups on this stuff and sales guys work on commission
[OP]
Dec 8, 2007
22 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Eldorado wrote: Sorry these are BS sales, no one should ever take just a standard run of the mill sale like this from these guys

My long short story - this summer went in for a mattress, sticker price said $3200, guy says there's a sale on (no signs anywhere), writes down $1999 on a card, we call in 2 days later asking for better as The Brick has so and so same brand mattress for some made up price that we wanted to pay, no problem he says I'll write up a price match

Paid ~$1550 after tax

Moral - never accept 10-15% off, huge markups on this stuff and sales guys work on commission
You are probably right. but I was buying a specific mattress in a box product (Simba) that had the firmness i wanted. I compared it to other online mattress and the prices are pretty competitive. I guess I'm also not as upset as you because my king mattress ended up only around $1050+tax.

On that note. they definitely use sales tactic like price matching, giving you a discount (they will cite that another person switched to a smaller size so they need to get the product you want out of their warehouse) etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2605 posts
922 upvotes
Nunavut
Lenx wrote: You are probably right. but I was buying a specific mattress in a box product (Simba) that had the firmness i wanted. I compared it to other online mattress and the prices are pretty competitive. I guess I'm also not as upset as you because my king mattress ended up only around $1050+tax.

On that note. they definitely use sales tactic like price matching, giving you a discount (they will cite that another person switched to a smaller size so they need to get the product you want out of their warehouse) etc.
Oh I'm not upset at all, I got exactly what I wanted and went thru a number of online in a box mattresses before giving up and going to a store, but just because I paid ~$500 more doesn't mean you got a better deal or mine is better, can't compare all foam to a spring, and comparing mattresses is too annoying

I'm just showing how fake their prices and sales are, never accept what the signs say, I bet you could have done better in store

Hopefully you like what you ordered, it sucks getting a mattress that isn't right
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11908 posts
2431 upvotes
BROCKHAMPTON wrote: Anyone have experience with the Malouf pillows?

Pretty expensive, but have been eying them for a while, and at BOGO it seems like as good as a time to buy as ever.
Additional 15% off when checking out and free shipping too. I bought.
Dec 24, 2017
74 posts
120 upvotes
FOR ANYONE LOOKING TO BUY AN ACTUAL MATTRESS:

Sleep Country has a policy of being able to bring any mattress down to the most recent sale price of each mattress. Most mattresses go on sale for about 40% at some point within a calendar year (they cycle the sale from brand to brand each month). If you are talking to a Sleep Country sales person for a bit, be nice, say you like the mattress, but can't affor the price tag, but then ask if they can match the last sale price (or name a price much cheaper) they will always go to their computer look up the last sales price and give it to you.

They just care about making the sale for themselves at the end of the day, and since they are able to do this, they will if they think they can get the sale. If by the off chance you stumble into a rep that doesn't do this try again with another rep. I have done this 3 times with sleep country.
Dec 24, 2017
74 posts
120 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: Additional 15% off when checking out and free shipping too. I bought.
Were you able to figure out the difference between the "Active Dough" and "Dough" versions by any chance?
Nov 8, 2007
565 posts
204 upvotes
Mattresses here are minimum 100% markup.
If you are patient enough you can get a 50% deal any time of year.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11908 posts
2431 upvotes
BROCKHAMPTON wrote: Were you able to figure out the difference between the "Active Dough" and "Dough" versions by any chance?
Here's the description of ActivatedDough:
https://www.maloufsleep.com/activedough/

But without knowing what Dough is, there's little to compare it to... However, from what I read, ActivatedDough is their newer tech that is a little more firmer and responsive, while Dough is a little more softer and more like memory foam.
Jan 8, 2013
155 posts
25 upvotes
People are really sleeping on these BF mattress deals. Wake up and get it before it’s gone. The prices are a dream come true.
Dec 3, 2013
469 posts
93 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Julianq101 wrote: People are really sleeping on these BF mattress deals. Wake up and get it before it’s gone. The prices are a dream come true.

which mattress do you see on sale?
Jul 30, 2009
307 posts
315 upvotes
Julianq101 wrote: People are really sleeping on these BF mattress deals. Wake up and get it before it’s gone. The prices are a dream come true.
Please let me know! I'm looking
"Wow, this thread is like a pen full of donkeys and then I went to that link and it was like going into a stripper room with no strippers." Acid_
Jan 21, 2017
335 posts
234 upvotes
Bought a Simba 2500 (king size) for $1,000 including taxes this afternoon. I hope I don't regret it. Seems like a decent price considering the advertised price was $1500.

It's a little funny though that we were about to walk out the store when the lady said she might have some stock from another Quebec store that was closing. It's gonna take 3 weeks for delivery but for $900 before taxes, I thought it was worth it.
Jun 28, 2008
115 posts
41 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Lukus2017 wrote: Bought a Simba 2500 (king size) for $1,000 including taxes this afternoon. I hope I don't regret it. Seems like a decent price considering the advertised price was $1500.

It's a little funny though that we were about to walk out the store when the lady said she might have some stock from another Quebec store that was closing. It's gonna take 3 weeks for delivery but for $900 before taxes, I thought it was worth it.
Can you let us know what you think of the Simba 2500? I'm interested in getting it but it's quite pricey. I should probably go in store to test it out.
Jan 21, 2017
335 posts
234 upvotes
Nosepass2 wrote: Can you let us know what you think of the Simba 2500? I'm interested in getting it but it's quite pricey. I should probably go in store to test it out.
I should get it around the 18th of December... will report after I get to test it out.
Dec 9, 2013
558 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
We were also looking at King mattresses and ended up buying the Serta Alexandre for $1100 all in at a different mattress outlet store.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11370 posts
7783 upvotes
GTA, ON
I don't trust any of the salespeople period. All a bunch of commission sharks.

This is always a fun sales tactic: "the warehouse/store up in XYZ is being renovated and they are clearing out some stock. Let me check to see what the have and you can get it at a discounted price. Just put in a 10% deposit and we'll hold it for you."

I've heard that same line 3x over the years I've gone shopping at Sleep Country.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 22, 2006
421 posts
176 upvotes
Trois-Rivières
I found this thread after doing my 10% deposit thinking I had a good deal on a mattress (salesman used the old "we have too much stock" tactic), but after reading everything about this store, I bought elsewhere and will cancel tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2009
1425 posts
315 upvotes
I saw the deal on purple mattress i think i am going to bite since there are only 2 places to get it, and having access to a brick and mortar is probably better. I can cancel tomorrow if i feel like the mattress is awful.