• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 4:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
720 posts
72 upvotes

Sliding / Patio Door Advice

Hi there.

We are looking to replace our existing builders sliding/patio door. It was a 2 panel which had 1 inside slider + 1 mesh screen slider + 1 outside slider.

We had a look at some sliding/patio doors this weekend and all that they were selling were 2 panel doors with the 1 inside slider + 1 mesh screen slider that stayed outside... no outside slider.

Is this the standard being sold these days without the outside slider protecting the slider? I don't know why, but I feel having the 1+1 screen +1 a bit more solid. Perhaps this is overkill?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
I’m confused... are you saying you have an old aluminum door with a single piece of glass, then the screen, then another single piece of glass? If so, that’s the old way of doing it cheaply vs sealing a unit as was done then (for more money) and is the only way it’s done today.

Today’s units are significantly more insulating than what you have.
[OP]
Aug 1, 2007
720 posts
72 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I’m confused... are you saying you have an old aluminum door with a single piece of glass, then the screen, then another single piece of glass? If so, that’s the old way of doing it cheaply vs sealing a unit as was done then (for more money) and is the only way it’s done today.

Today’s units are significantly more insulating than what you have.
Thanks for your response Jerico.

Yes, the old/current sliding door has the following doors...

Interior sliding door
+
Stationary glass door (middle door)
+
Mesh sliding door
+
Extrerior sliding door (which protects the mesh sliding door)

I think you've answered my question, as it seems that the current builds are built more effeciently/stronger. I was concerned that since the mesh sliding door would be exposed to the elements now, that it would degrade over time.

Cheers!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17099 posts
14493 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
radar2000 wrote: Thanks for your response Jerico.

Yes, the old/current sliding door has the following doors...

Interior sliding door
+
Stationary glass door (middle door)
+
Mesh sliding door
+
Extrerior sliding door (which protects the mesh sliding door)

I think you've answered my question, as it seems that the current builds are built more effeciently/stronger. I was concerned that since the mesh sliding door would be exposed to the elements now, that it would degrade over time.

Cheers!
Yup...

Our Screen is on the outside exposed. And yes the weather wears on it.
It does the job, but I think it looks messy / dirty
And doesn’t have the clean lines I now wish for

Honestly if I had this all to do over again, I should have not opted for a replacement sliding patio door when I had all the windows on the house replaced, but gone with French patio doors with either built in screens in the doors, invisible retractable screens that you pull out from the door jam to use when you want then, or just outdoor screen doors overtop (not storm doors ... but good old fashioned wood screen doors)

All of these options work well, and look nice for the summertime if one wants airflow from the outside vs AC

And the biggest benefit is the larger “full frame” door opening for the times you need it. It’s a real PITA to take the patio doors out if we are moving bigger pieces of furniture in or out (widest entry space to the house)

Lol, NEXT house...