Home & Garden

sliding screen door

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 10:25 am
[OP]
Member
May 5, 2017
460 posts
173 upvotes

sliding screen door

Hi, I'm looking for replace my patio sliding screen door. The ones I find at Rona/renot-depot/lowes and Home depot have terrible reviews. What other places are there to source one? Looking for 30" wide.
17 replies
Newbie
Jun 5, 2016
86 posts
18 upvotes
elgordito wrote: Hi, I'm looking for replace my patio sliding screen door. The ones I find at Rona/renot-depot/lowes and Home depot have terrible reviews. What other places are there to source one? Looking for 30" wide.
Did you find any recommendation. I am looking for the same size patio screen door to replace too. I dont have the previous door anymore so I don't have the option of fixing an existing one.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15116 posts
9576 upvotes
Toronto
Try Gem Windows and Doors. https://gemwindows.com/

I made a few purchases from these folks. They are located on the queensway near the 427.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Member
May 5, 2017
460 posts
173 upvotes
dealwiththedeal wrote: Did you find any recommendation. I am looking for the same size patio screen door to replace too. I dont have the previous door anymore so I don't have the option of fixing an existing one.
I'm waiting for a quote from a company called fenomax...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10844 posts
6107 upvotes
Paris
My local glass shop does custom window screens and patio door screens.
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2007
169 posts
39 upvotes
GTA
I broke the screen on mine last night.
Door size is 35.5 in x 76.5.
A guy on kijiji has quoted $150 to replace screen and $190 for an extra strength one.
Is that a reasonable price ? How much would new door cost and is it easy to find an exact size one which the locking mechanism will line up with whats in the frame ?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10844 posts
6107 upvotes
Paris
navin2004 wrote: I broke the screen on mine last night.
Door size is 35.5 in x 76.5.
A guy on kijiji has quoted $150 to replace screen and $190 for an extra strength one.
Is that a reasonable price ? How much would new door cost and is it easy to find an exact size one which the locking mechanism will line up with whats in the frame ?
Replacing the whole door or just the screen? I think my local Home Hardware does just the screen for $40+cost of their screen material. It’s not $150 for sure. Pet screen (the heavier material) doesn’t cost much more but is a bit of a pain to get in.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
12482 posts
15789 upvotes
Vancouver
navin2004 wrote: I broke the screen on mine last night.
Door size is 35.5 in x 76.5.
A guy on kijiji has quoted $150 to replace screen and $190 for an extra strength one.
Is that a reasonable price ? How much would new door cost and is it easy to find an exact size one which the locking mechanism will line up with whats in the frame ?
To replace just the mesh? That's an easy DIY job. If the frame is still in good shape there's no need to replace the whole door.
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2007
169 posts
39 upvotes
GTA
Thank you @Kiraly and @Jerico I did end up getting it replaced at Home Hardware for $60. These Kijiji sellers are rip offs and make it sound like end of the world. Multiple people replied and each with high quotes.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10844 posts
6107 upvotes
Paris
navin2004 wrote: Thank you @Kiraly and @Jerico I did end up getting it replaced at Home Hardware for $60. These Kijiji sellers are rip offs and make it sound like end of the world. Multiple people replied and each with high quotes.
I think the Kijiji guys come to you vs you going to them so that easily adds $100
Jr. Member
Jan 4, 2007
169 posts
39 upvotes
GTA
True, but still a lot. We used to have a guy driving around in a mini-van during summer months asking in our subdivision if we needed a replacement, but not right when I rip the screen of ours accidentally.
Learnt something new thanks to Youtube on how to remove the door. Took it to HH and picked up in 3 hours, re-installed it.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1262 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
Replacing the meash your self is like $15 and 15mins of your time lol. 10x easier with a second pair of hands
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10844 posts
6107 upvotes
Paris
porchemasi wrote: Replacing the meash your self is like $15 and 15mins of your time lol. 10x easier with a second pair of hands
You need the tool, which increases the price if you dont have it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19278 posts
16937 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: You need the tool, which increases the price if you dont have it.
Lol

So true ... the right “tool” for every job

Always increases the price ... even if he’s found on Kijiji
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19278 posts
16937 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote:
You need the tool, which increases the price if you dont have it.
Kiraly wrote: The tool comes with the kit. Mesh, spline, tool. Cheap. You can also buy all three separately but for most people it's cheaper to just buy the kit.
FYI ... I think my buddy @Jerico was being sarcastic
Hence my own tongue in cheek reply

But ya I have seen those kits @ HD, Lowe’s etc

I think the job is pretty finicky ... something that takes lots of practice to be able to do well

So like @navin2004 ... I would just haul it off to the store to get fixed
navin2004 wrote: True, but still a lot. We used to have a guy driving around in a mini-van during summer months asking in our subdivision if we needed a replacement, but not right when I rip the screen of ours accidentally.
Learnt something new thanks to Youtube on how to remove the door. Took it to HH and picked up in 3 hours, re-installed it.
The big mark up is when a screener comes to your house and does it on site
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10844 posts
6107 upvotes
Paris
Kiraly wrote: The tool comes with the kit. Mesh, spline, tool. Cheap. You can also buy all three separately but for most people it's cheaper to just buy the kit.
That tool is junk. I have both taken mine to HH and done them myself. Depends how busy I am. We install windows and doors but dont replace screens.
Sr. Member
Apr 5, 2017
798 posts
197 upvotes
Any recommendations for replacing sliding doors for closet ? Best shop or type ?

Top