• Jul 16th, 2020 8:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15063 posts
6612 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Sliding screen patio door

I'm looking to replace the sliding screen for my patio door. I believe it's the standard 80"x36" variety (although I measured 78"x37"). I know the big box stores carry replacement screen doors but the general consensus is that the qualify of those are crap. So I'm looking for other options (specialty stores, online vendors or even contractors who could supply and install). Any recommendations?
5 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15063 posts
6612 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: What's wrong with it? If the frame is still in good shape, it will be cheaper and easier to replace just the screen and/or the rollers. This is an easy DIY job.
There are tears in the mesh. I've tried replacing the mesh before but I can never get it stretched as well as new so I figure it's best to just replace the whole screen.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15227 posts
20489 upvotes
Vancouver
rvs007 wrote: There are tears in the mesh. I've tried replacing the mesh before but I can never get it stretched as well as new so I figure it's best to just replace the whole screen.
I'm sure you can hire someone to do the job for you, and that that will be cheaper than buying a whole new screen.
I say don't give up! It takes a little practice but replacing mesh in screen doors is a snap once you get the hang of it. Enlist someone to hold it tight while you press the spline in. And take the door off first and lay it flat! Trying to do it with the door still in the frame is a beginner mistake.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15063 posts
6612 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Kiraly wrote: I'm sure you can hire someone to do the job for you, and that that will be cheaper than buying a whole new screen.
I say don't give up! It takes a little practice but replacing mesh in screen doors is a snap once you get the hang of it. Enlist someone to hold it tight while you press the spline in. And take the door off first and lay it flat! Trying to do it with the door still in the frame is a beginner mistake.
You know what, thank you for your advice. After posting my response I headed over to Home Depot and picked up a screen door repair kit for $16. Went on Youtube and watched a couple of DIY videos before diving into the repair myself. Took it slow and careful and made sure I keep the tension on the mesh. Enlisted my kids to hold the mesh tightly while I press the spline in. It turned out much better than what I had expected so you've saved me $85+ on what I would have had to spend on a new screen door.