• Dec 26th, 2022 11:08 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11515 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR

Slippery laminate stairs

I’ve moved into a new home and the previous owners installed brand new laminate stairs prior to selling. I find the stairs get fairly slippery but even a vacuum doesn’t really seem to have much of an impact - must be the material or more than just layer of dust making things slippery?

Well other day I ended up having a nice slip and got a big bruise. Could have been worse.

I see I can get adhesive grip treads on Amazon although these almost look like they’d be visually rather overbearing. And even clear I would have to imagine actually stand out quite a bit? And then surely you sort of get dust and dirt that gets stuck around the edges or even stuck to a bit of the sticky edges?

Anyone use these sorts of thing? They work well? Are there other solutions? I realize this is the first time I’ve had non-carpeted stairs!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7490 posts
2396 upvotes
0 downvotes
I would re-do the stairs, laminate and stairs do not go together
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Jun 12, 2018
793 posts
1167 upvotes
Ontario
runner carpet for stairs
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4949 upvotes
GTA
Laminate on the stairs is the dumbest idea ever. If they were to cheap to do it properly - better not do it at all. Be careful till you get them fixed, it's a death trap and tell your family to use the handrails.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11515 posts
1487 upvotes
GVR
Tommy74 wrote: Laminate on the stairs is the dumbest idea ever. If they were to cheap to do it properly - better not do it at all. Be careful till you get them fixed, it's a death trap and tell your family to use the handrails.
I’ve definitely learned that. I think it can look nicer. And vacuuming stairs sucks. But oh my are these laminate stairs with zero lip/grip quite slippery!
Jun 21, 2022
682 posts
911 upvotes
Gta
Tommy74 wrote: Laminate … is the dumbest idea ever. If they were to cheap to do it properly - better not do it at all. Be careful till you get them fixed, it's a death trap and tell your family to use the handrails.
FTFY
<unnecessary signature>
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1573 posts
1103 upvotes
Longueuil
IMO laminate or hardwood stairs are always slippery. While not as good looking, I prefer carpet for stairs for this very reason (function over form).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Jun 21, 2022
682 posts
911 upvotes
Gta
JEDI Force wrote: IMO laminate or hardwood stairs are always slippery. While not as good looking, I prefer carpet for stairs for this very reason (function over form).
Concur. Stairs are the only carpet in our house
<unnecessary signature>
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1733 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto
We did have the same situation and ended installing this amazing crazy grippy product over the stairs and voila problem solved!
Images
  • images (3).jpeg
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
11378 posts
2323 upvotes
Ive had no issues with my hardwood stairs. Steps are fine and landings are also fine. Having said that nothing is super smooth and shiny. I chose a matte finish.
Sep 18, 2003
228 posts
35 upvotes
ToDealHunter wrote: We did have the same situation and ended installing this amazing crazy grippy product over the stairs and voila problem solved!
Please stop posting pictures of my bed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5310 posts
5426 upvotes
Ottawa
JEDI Force wrote: IMO laminate or hardwood stairs are always slippery. While not as good looking, I prefer carpet for stairs for this very reason (function over form).
This.

When we built our house we nixed the hardwood stairs as I would need to install a carpet runner anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7490 posts
2396 upvotes
0 downvotes
the reason people put laminate on their stairs is because they bought a house with carpet stairs and want to remove the carpet but dont want to replace the stair treads properly cus its expensive so they hire someone to slap some laminiate on it and make it look good, but its not the proper way of doing it
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)