• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 9:46 am
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada

Slow cooker vs combo cooker?

I already have a rice cooker and I'm interested in buying a slow cooker. So far I am looking at getting a 4-6qt slow cooker for about $50-70.

Or I could get a combo cooker that is a rice cooker and a slow cooker. I don't really care about pressure cooking, yogurt making etc, but maybe I should get an instant pot?
10 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4321 upvotes
I'd say just go the Instant Pot route -- so you have 1 machine that replaces 3: crock pot, rice cooker, pressure cooker. For years we had both a crock pot and a rice cooker taking up counter space (and a stovetop pressure cooker that we rarely used) so when we saw a great deal on a knock-off Instant Pot (at ALDI in the USA... thing was on clearance for $30 US!) we grabbed it. And it gets used a lot!
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
or better yet just get a dutch oven? I like slow cookers because you can leave them on even if you are not at home.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
so for IP you plan to disable the pressure cooker portion and compare it as a slow cooker? Pretty much you can slow cook using any pot without the electronic gadgets, just like your grandparents did. I wouldnt buy an IP to make it into a dumb slow cooker. The idea of pressure cooking is to make slow cooking faster, and for the most part does replace it.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
2002 posts
296 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The instant pot has replaced my slow cooker. Used all my slow cooker recipes with my instant pot, with minor recipe tweaks. I find the food has more flavour using the instant pot because it cooks at a higher temperature than the slow cooker. As an added bonus, I found out that the instant pot makes perfect congee, same consistency as restaurant congee.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sour ... ent=psy-ab
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12472 posts
7250 upvotes
Markham
redflagdealsnewb wrote: or better yet just get a dutch oven? I like slow cookers because you can leave them on even if you are not at home.
You can leave the IP on even if you're not home as it goes to warm or off after your set time.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2014 posts
1407 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
An IP can be used as a slow cooker, it's a little smaller in size that a lot of slow cookers so it makes it more difficult if you are doing a pot roast. I have a slow cooker and it's has been completely replaced by my IP, unless I am make a massive amount of something.

One advantage I love in my IP over the slow cooker is the ability to sear my food directly in the IP and then slow cook it. You just need to ensure the IP you purchase has this feature as some earlier models did not. You can leave on the IP too just like a slow cooker. I don't see many advantages of the slow cooker other than maybe price.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
A pressure cooker and a slow cooker are used for different things. One doesn't replace the other. The end result is quite different. Otherwise slow cookers wouldn't exist anymore.

One thing to consider between a slow cooker/crockpot and an instant pot is volume. Most regular slow cookers hold a fair amount of food and don't cost too much. I find that the Instant Pot seems small unless you have the 8 quart. And it's round shape doesn't always easily fit everything that I would want to slow cook. If you want to cook big meals safely while away from home then a normal slow cooker is probably what you want. They are also good for keeping things warm and serving. The Instant Pot is great though if you're travelling or have cooked something and are bringing it somewhere as you can just seal it up and carry it, whereas a slow cooker is much less stable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6227 posts
636 upvotes
BC
We got an instant pot and I gave my slow cooker away. But I do still use my rice cooker..
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1019 posts
320 upvotes
Macx2mommy wrote: An IP can be used as a slow cooker, it's a little smaller in size that a lot of slow cookers so it makes it more difficult if you are doing a pot roast. I have a slow cooker and it's has been completely replaced by my IP, unless I am make a massive amount of something.

One advantage I love in my IP over the slow cooker is the ability to sear my food directly in the IP and then slow cook it. You just need to ensure the IP you purchase has this feature as some earlier models did not. You can leave on the IP too just like a slow cooker. I don't see many advantages of the slow cooker other than maybe price.
I agree the sear function in the IP is great but if you're gonna use it to slow cook why not just sear in a dutch oven and stick it in the oven at a low temp. The result will always taste much better.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2014 posts
1407 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
blarg wrote: I agree the sear function in the IP is great but if you're gonna use it to slow cook why not just sear in a dutch oven and stick it in the oven at a low temp. The result will always taste much better.
Agreed about the results being better. I don't feel comfortable leaving my oven on (even on the lowest temperature) if I am going to be gone all day. I can do that that with the IP or Slow cooker and set a timer. You also need another kitchen piece of equipment (which I do have, but some want to have less)

Prior to having to work at home, I would assemble and sear my food the night before, put the IP pot in the fridge, wake up, set the timer, and it was ready to go. IP or slow cooker is definitely more convenient.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.