Computers & Electronics

Slow Wifi, Tried Two Routers

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 12:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes

Slow Wifi, Tried Two Routers

Hey guys,

So I recently upgraded my Cannatel speed to 300/20 from their $40 promo. When I'm wired in the speeds work as advertised. But on wifi I'm barely breaking 100. I tried two Tp-Link routers (C20 and C50) and tried adjusting the settings like channels manually but nothing worked. What am I doing wrong here?
43 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 15, 2006
3632 posts
707 upvotes
Kingston
I assume you are on 5 Ghz instead of 2.4? Maybe you are on a congested channel?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
Have you tried more than one device to test your speeds? If not, do that first. Ideally, with something that isn't similar to your original test device (so, don't use your iPhone 10 ... then also test with your wife's iPhone 10).

If you can test with more than one device, and the speed issue still exists, then it basically has to be those routers (or your configuration, somehow).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3855 posts
1056 upvotes
What device are you testing your wifi on?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6881 posts
5795 upvotes
Burlington
your testing device sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4665 posts
4717 upvotes
Vancouver
Your expectations are too high. Reality is that WiFi is subject to so many variables that you should probably count yourself lucky to get a consistent 100mbps if you're not in the same room with the router and using a device with multiple receiving antennas.
Jr. Member
Dec 11, 2017
164 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
Meanwhile, 8 neighboring households have also tried 2 different wireless routers each and they're also scratching their heads as to why the wifi is slow....

Try testing your wifi at 3am in the morning. And hope that your neighbor isn't downloading porn at 3am.
Member
Jun 9, 2012
468 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
You need to be on at least 5Ghz N wifi to get close to or over 100mbps, but if you want 300mbps on wifi you will need a 5Ghz AC wifi router.

I've done tests on my ASUS AC 5Ghz router and it was able to obtain around 300mbps upload speeds and atleast 500 mbps download speeds with no problems.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 14, 2005
669 posts
145 upvotes
From the specs at the TP-Link site, the C20 and C50 ethernet interfaces are only 10/100, so you will never get more than 100. You need a wireless AP/router that has a gigabit interface.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
10393 posts
2754 upvotes
Winnipeg
dmyvr wrote: From the specs at the TP-Link site, the C20 and C50 ethernet interfaces are only 10/100, so you will never get more than 100. You need a wireless AP/router that has a gigabit interface.
there is your answer. bottleneck.
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
467 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
dmyvr wrote: From the specs at the TP-Link site, the C20 and C50 ethernet interfaces are only 10/100, so you will never get more than 100. You need a wireless AP/router that has a gigabit interface.
This is what it advertises for the C50, "Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300 Mbps and 5GHz 867 Mbps connections for 1200 Mbps of total available bandwidth". I started a similar thread a couple of days ago with very similar issue, I'm using the C2600 though, which is suppose to be 1733 Mbps using the 5Ghz band, but I'm getting around 100Mbps.
Member
Jun 9, 2012
468 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
showmethemoney2009 wrote: This is what it advertises for the C50, "Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300 Mbps and 5GHz 867 Mbps connections for 1200 Mbps of total available bandwidth". I started a similar thread a couple of days ago with very similar issue, I'm using the C2600 though, which is suppose to be 1733 Mbps using the 5Ghz band, but I'm getting around 100Mbps.
There is a limitation for this C50 router from tp-link, "1 10/100Mbps WAN Port" means that accessing internet from ISP will be hard capped at 100mbps. Doesn't matter if you used a wired connection or a wireless one, unless you connected directly to the modem instead.
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
467 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
BigBrother0 wrote: There is a limitation for this C50 router from tp-link, "1 10/100Mbps WAN Port" means that accessing internet from ISP will be hard capped at 100mbps. Doesn't matter if you used a wired connection or a wireless one, unless you connected directly to the modem instead.
Ah, I missed that. That explains OP's situation as dmyvr had pointed out.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
showmethemoney2009 wrote: This is what it advertises for the C50, "Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300 Mbps and 5GHz 867 Mbps connections for 1200 Mbps of total available bandwidth". I started a similar thread a couple of days ago with very similar issue, I'm using the C2600 though, which is suppose to be 1733 Mbps using the 5Ghz band, but I'm getting around 100Mbps.
In practice, You will not find many devices that can access 800+1733 bonded channels. Thats why your speed is still limited to 100Mpbs.

On the 2.4GHz side, altho the router manufacturers advertise HT40 Speeds, In practice there is severe limitations on the use of this. Same for UHT160 on the 5GHz band. Hopefullt as AX band routers become more common and devices start retaining , this will be better. ( 4-5 years ?)
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: I assume you are on 5 Ghz instead of 2.4? Maybe you are on a congested channel?
5g. I tried switching between different channels on the TP link router settings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: Have you tried more than one device to test your speeds? If not, do that first. Ideally, with something that isn't similar to your original test device (so, don't use your iPhone 10 ... then also test with your wife's iPhone 10).

If you can test with more than one device, and the speed issue still exists, then it basically has to be those routers (or your configuration, somehow).
Tried speed tests across two different laptops, phone and firestick - all come back consistently around 100mb/s
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: Your expectations are too high. Reality is that WiFi is subject to so many variables that you should probably count yourself lucky to get a consistent 100mbps if you're not in the same room with the router and using a device with multiple receiving antennas.
So wired at 300mbps and wifi at 100mbps 24/7 makes sense to you? I'd rather pay Cannatel 10$ less per month and get the 75mbps. At least my wifi was showing those numbers consistently over time. This is 200% less than what I'm paying for though it's clear this is a router/wifi issue (across two routers) not an ISP issue.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes
dmyvr wrote: From the specs at the TP-Link site, the C20 and C50 ethernet interfaces are only 10/100, so you will never get more than 100. You need a wireless AP/router that has a gigabit interface.
Finally an answer that has merit. When i read the descriptions on amazon it listed the C20 as 5GHz = 433Mbps, and C50 as 5GHz = 867Mbps. Since Cannatel told me to get a router that's at least 300mbs I thought I was on the safe side with either of these two given the listed max speeds. What gives? Are these listed max speeds wired only? If so, what's the point of listing that on a wireless router and not listing wireless max speeds?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2966 posts
3297 upvotes
BigBrother0 wrote: There is a limitation for this C50 router from tp-link, "1 10/100Mbps WAN Port" means that accessing internet from ISP will be hard capped at 100mbps. Doesn't matter if you used a wired connection or a wireless one, unless you connected directly to the modem instead.
Damn, that's some shitty, misleading advertising on their part. Instant Amazon return for both these routers lol.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Oct 7th, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top