Home & Garden

Small Above ground pool 8x12 or 8x16

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 6:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
1794 posts
732 upvotes
Vaughan

Small Above ground pool 8x12 or 8x16

I know for this year this is probably out of the question, but planning for next year if it even that.

I'm looking for a small above ground pool has to max 8ft wide. Length can be up to 16ft. Looking for a permanent setup and not those that have to be taking down every season. Do these sizes even exist in Canada? US websites carry these sizes.

https://www.thepoolfactory.com/swimming ... /oval/8x12
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sure they do...
Just GOOGLE : 8x12 above ground pool Canada

Here’s one I found that does all sizes ... including Custom work
https://www.niceguyspools.ca/services

FYI ... in case you don’t already know this
Don’t cheap out
Above ground pools are definitely not as rigid normally as an in ground pool
And any shape other than a circle ... cuz of water distribution / pressure is more apt to collapse
This tends to be even more a thing here in Canada with our crazy extreme temp swings of about 100 degrees F annually (freeze thaw cycle)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
1794 posts
732 upvotes
Vaughan
PointsHubby wrote: Sure they do...
Just GOOGLE : 8x12 above ground pool Canada

Here’s one I found that does all sizes ... including Custom work
https://www.niceguyspools.ca/services

FYI ... in case you don’t already know this
Don’t cheap out
Above ground pools are definitely not as rigid normally as an in ground pool
And any shape other than a circle ... cuz of water distribution / pressure is more apt to collapse
This tends to be even more a thing here in Canada with our crazy extreme temp swings of about 100 degrees F annually (freeze thaw cycle)
Thanks. I emailed them.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wheelz wrote: Thanks. I emailed them.
Lol, it was just a random google result ...
Now curious as to what you learn
Keep us posted
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
1794 posts
732 upvotes
Vaughan
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, it was just a random google result ...
Now curious as to what you learn
Keep us posted
I did search this and emailed them yesterday already. Looks like Radiant pools are the only ones in Canada with that size, but from my understanding radiant pools need to installed by a professional. They aren't DIY.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7868 posts
8834 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, it was just a random google result ...
Now curious as to what you learn
Keep us posted
For all the points provided by @PointsHubby I would not recommend an oval above ground pool. Better to stick to traditional circle pool.

Salespersons will tell you there is no issue. Just beware.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11739 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
8x12 sounds like an awesome custom spa size you run all year round.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22290 posts
20910 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Swim Spas are definitely neat

But in my research uber expensive

And best set up somewhere where one can EASILY access them year round

Like on a walk out basement patio, under an overhang, or upper floor deck

Even better if one has a Enclosed Sunroom etc

The issue here being a Swim Spa can act as both a spa to relax in, and a pool to stationary swim in ... but most folks don’t want to swim at 100+ Degrees F. So ya gotta put the Swim Spa in a spot protected from the elements to use both functions (cooler water settings) year round effectively for both activities
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
1794 posts
732 upvotes
Vaughan
Ya I'm out on swim spas. Way too expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
I figure an above ground pool is throwing money away - like buying a boat. They'll always end up rotting in a yard somewhere.

A swim spa (some 2nd hand on Kijiji) are at least can be resold, moved etc. Not easy or cheap to move, to be sure.

But I get it - if I had some kids and needed something to keep them busy and cool in this heat, I'd do anything including an above ground pool. Just that it turns into a liability in the end.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5136 posts
1632 upvotes
Wat
I don't see anything wrong with an above ground pool. Some day you will want to be rid of the pool, and it will be much easier if it's an above ground one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7868 posts
8834 upvotes
torontotim wrote: I figure an above ground pool is throwing money away - like buying a boat. They'll always end up rotting in a yard somewhere.

A swim spa (some 2nd hand on Kijiji) are at least can be resold, moved etc. Not easy or cheap to move, to be sure.

But I get it - if I had some kids and needed something to keep them busy and cool in this heat, I'd do anything including an above ground pool. Just that it turns into a liability in the end.
Depending on the usage you make if tour above ground pool it is hot thrown money.... A well maintained above ground pool will last many years. Not as long as an inground one, but price is representative of the longevity. Above ground pool costs less to heat, costs less to maintain ans to repair if needed. We had a 27 FT above ground pool that needed a new liner after 20 years, not so bad! Never had a single issue with the pump. We sold it for a few $100's after all those years
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3860 upvotes
Toronto
wheelz wrote: How are these types of pools? How much of a pain is it to pack away every season? And how durable are they? Anyone have experience?

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cole ... p.html#srp
That's hilarious - never seen anything like that. For $1000 I'd give it a shot to keep the kiddies happy for a year or two and if that's all I got out if it, it would be money well spent. Looks simple enough, if you have the garage space to store it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)