• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2021 4:48 pm
[OP]
Member
Nov 30, 2005
438 posts
287 upvotes
North York

Small basement rack

Any recommendation on a rack to be in the basement.. something that can hold a switch, cable modem and maybe a printer on top? Floor standalone and something that's not overpowering.. wife will kick my butt
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
6110 posts
6425 upvotes
GTA
My 'rack' is just a plastic shelving unit you would find at Canadian Tire for $20-$30. It holds my printer on top, and next to it the Rogers router and a gigabit switch. The rest of the shelves I use for computer related storage, like printer paper and parts.

One of these kinds of basic things:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/resi ... 6470p.html
c'mon get happy!
Member
Feb 9, 2008
406 posts
328 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Are you using a rackmount switch?
If not, a resin shelf should be good enough, as suggested.

If you have a rackmount switch, you can get 2 Ikea Lack tables and stack them, or attach plywood as a shelf for the modem.
The hack/mod is called Lack Rack if you want to search for guides.
2x3U_LackRack.jpg
[OP]
Member
Nov 30, 2005
438 posts
287 upvotes
North York
zerod wrote: Are you using a rackmount switch?
If not, a resin shelf should be good enough, as suggested.

If you have a rackmount switch, you can get 2 Ikea Lack tables and stack them, or attach plywood as a shelf for the modem.
The hack/mod is called Lack Rack if you want to search for guides.
2x3U_LackRack.jpg

Looking good.. let me take a look. The 22u idea is too big ..need someone simple and clean
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35798 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MrDiscount wrote: Looking good.. let me take a look. The 22u idea is too big ..need someone simple and clean
The Lack Rack is an IKEA table. It is ideal because it is exactly 19” wide and you can bolt things on the legs and the tables are stackable.

I have seen these setups and the red one looks nice with all the LEDs blinking. You don’t need the shelves. Just make sure your gear has ears for the rack
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
2554 posts
1742 upvotes
My rack is just a pile of electronics on the floor....been that way for a few years now and no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6458 posts
4254 upvotes
SW ON
PerformingAzura wrote: My rack is just a pile of electronics on the floor....been that way for a few years now and no issues.
Until first basement flooding I guess.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2017
2554 posts
1742 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Until first basement flooding I guess.
That's why it's a stack. The older servers will be the first to go
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6015 posts
2737 upvotes
Durham
DIY ... its simple and easy.

IMG_20210420_131530.jpg
IMG_20210420_131540.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4192 posts
1732 upvotes
Toronto
Here's my rack setup in my basement, on top of my home theater AV gear stand.

It's a wall mounted rack from Infinite Cables. Works extremely well and was very cheap.
Images
  • PXL_20201023_161035148.jpg

Top