Home & Garden

Small chunk of hardwood gone missing. How to fix?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2016 12:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
541 posts
83 upvotes
Oakville

Small chunk of hardwood gone missing. How to fix?

It disappeared. No idea how it happened. Have searched under every table and couch and it's nowhere to be found. A total mystery. And only the two of us had been in the house during this time and we weren't walking around with shoes on or shifting furniture.

Anyway, anyone had experience with a similar problem? And what product did you use to fill in such a big gap?

Thx for the suggestions.

11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7133 posts
2746 upvotes
GTA
Looks like a filler was in that spot...probably popped out with seasonal wood movement.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Any chance you had the floor installed and have extra pieces kicking around? If so, you can "cut out" the damaged pieces of wood, and replace it with a new piece. If you don't have extra, you can purchase raw wood flooring and stain to match.

General idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1BHbahVvk
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
541 posts
83 upvotes
Oakville
Wood0209 wrote: Any chance you had the floor installed and have extra pieces kicking around? If so, you can "cut out" the damaged pieces of wood, and replace it with a new piece. If you don't have extra, you can purchase raw wood flooring and stain to match.

General idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN1BHbahVvk
Good question. Last place I moved the guy left over several pieces. This place I moved into six months ago had no leftover hardwood though the floor isn't too old. Left over bathroom and kitchen tiles though!

I will have to go with the filler option I guess.
Sep 1, 2014
497 posts
170 upvotes
Calgary
depending on how thick your baseboards are you could cut out a chunk underneath it and replace.
Sep 2, 2005
808 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
wood filler/crayon.

done.
Feb 13, 2013
157 posts
78 upvotes
BC
Buy a brown sharpie or even a dry erase marker with a pointed tip. Colour the raw wood with the marker and wipe off the excess. You will probably never notice the spot again. On my floor, which is a similar colour, I find it is the colour difference between the dark stain and the raw wood that really seems to draw the eye. Any scratch becomes a white line, and so every time I do a good mopping, I go around with a sharpie afterwards and the floors look amazing again. WAY easier than replacing a board, that's for sure.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10367 posts
1719 upvotes
If you dont want to fill in the wood and stain it instead, try using this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.scra ... 68414.html

My dad gave it to me and it stains anything without leaving unwanted marks elsewhere and its made with coconut oil. It really works on the tiny scratches too where a pen/marker wont get there.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10367 posts
1719 upvotes
t3359 wrote: ^ does it harden or remain putty?

bjl
Sorry for confusion. Its not a wood filler but a stainer.

I installed wire brushed flooring and things like paint, grout gets in the crevices and so hard to clean I just drop some of this on top and rub off w paper towel and it disappears.

Scratches too.

But anything too deep or need filling doesnt work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)