Personal Finance

Small claims court: Don't have the address.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 9:57 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
174 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto

Small claims court: Don't have the address.

I am planning on taking my former tenant to small claims court for the amount and damages they owe me in the amount of $2000. Problem is i ain't have there new address.

All i have is there cell phone number and they do respond on cell however would not disclose there new address....

1) how do i go about this situation?
2) can i proceed filing small claim court without an address?
3) Any suggestions / thoughts?
9 replies
Jun 29, 2012
662 posts
171 upvotes
Vancouver
hammadarif wrote: I am planning on taking my former tenant to small claims court for the amount and damages they owe me in the amount of $2000. Problem is i ain't have there new address.

All i have is there cell phone number and they do respond on cell however would not disclose there new address....

You could send it to their work address? But I'm pretty certain this would have to go through your local Tenancy Branch.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
174 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
No, i am not aware of there work address either. It does not have to go through the Tenancy board because this tenant os already out now. All i have is there cell phone number and they do respond on cell phone but would not tell me there mailing address.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2017
1341 posts
1162 upvotes
hammadarif wrote: No, i am not aware of there work address either. It does not have to go through the Tenancy board because this tenant os already out now. All i have is there cell phone number and they do respond on cell phone but would not tell me there mailing address.
Can you not put their last known address? I've never taken anyone to SCC in Canada but I had to do it in the UK and that was the solution.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9962 upvotes
Edmonton
hammadarif wrote: I am planning on taking my former tenant to small claims court for the amount and damages they owe me in the amount of $2000. Problem is i ain't have there new address.

What are you going to do even if you win? You don’t have enough information to try to collect, even if you win your case by default.

C
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8132 posts
3470 upvotes
Financial District B…

Your success of getting any money from a skipped tenant is predicated on a few things.
Are you a real landlord or just a home owner that rented a room?
Was there a signed and acknowledged lease/rent contract between the tenant and landlord?
Did you supply rent/lease receipts and have documented rent deposits from your bank?

If there's a no answer for any of the above then good luck.
if yes to all of the above then you should join a landlord org or at least get familiar with: https://ontariolandlords.org/blog/ontar ... ims-court/

Lastly, since you're asking some rudimentary questions I suspect you may not be a real bonafide landlord as experienced landlords already know about skip tracing and location services to find bad debtors.
Moreover, have you claimed the rentals as income to the CRA? If not then starting any court action may expose yourself to a whole new can of worms.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7588 posts
8184 upvotes
Vancouver
You must show evidence that you served the other party. You can't do that by phone. You can either deliver notice to an adult at their address of reference, or serve them in person if you can find them and identify them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9202 posts
5050 upvotes
Try asking the Small Claims Court people. Maybe they know some smart ideas for how to find this. You could also try talking to a lawyer who may give you some ideas of where to look.
Nov 23, 2014
172 posts
39 upvotes
East York, ON
Unless you know where they work, or a bank account number (void cheque), its hard to collect.

You could ask them to pickup left over mail, when they meet you, you serve them? Needs to be documented.

Try linkedin for employer, then try to narrow down.

For 2k, does not seem worth it