Real Estate

Small detached vs town/semi

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 10:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 24, 2017
75 posts
40 upvotes

Small detached vs town/semi

Assuming location is similar, what holds more value, small detached with a bigger lot (house is 1200/1300 Sq ft) vs a town/semi but around 1700 sq ft. And a smaller lot size.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8578 posts
1269 upvotes
Personally I’d choose a detached even if smaller but it depends on what the town or semi has that the detached doesn’t. If both are single car garage, I’d choose detached but if the detached is single and the town is double car garage, I may get the town or semi.

Also if there are more bedrooms in one over the other or the same.

Having said that, I would say a detached generally would hold more value but it really depends on what the houses have that the other doesn’t.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Jr. Member
Jun 15, 2015
179 posts
195 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
More land is always more valuable. Land is an appreciating asset. Building/house is a depreciating asset. So, go with the detached one.
Jr. Member
Dec 12, 2011
121 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of factors to consider but with little info i will always choose the detached.
Sr. Member
Mar 28, 2011
780 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I’d pick the smaller detached

Not hearing your Neighbours through the walls or sharing a driveway is priceless

Already lived in condo, town, semi and the detach is the best if your financials work out

Even then I want a larger lot to space out the houses, like on an acreage in the future
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
13617 posts
3677 upvotes
Montréal
clydelee2020 wrote: Lots of factors to consider but with little info i will always choose the detached.
This, not much info but then again it'll take A LOT of factors to make me go from detached to town/semi, like a hidden cache of gold bars in those towns/semis lol.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Sr. Member
May 3, 2013
643 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
aspiretobegreat wrote: Assuming location is similar, what holds more value, small detached with a bigger lot (house is 1200/1300 Sq ft) vs a town/semi but around 1700 sq ft. And a smaller lot size.
From the previous responses, you can see the "demand" for detached homes, thus to answer your question of "holding value", typically a small detached would. However, for practical reasons, if you are a family of 4 and looking to move-in, I would suggest getting something you are comfortable with as opposed to looking at resale value.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 30, 2008
652 posts
147 upvotes
By exact square foot, detach nets more. Value wise (IF you don't mind having an immediate beside you), then semi. I see semi as best of both worlds for many - more privacy/land than a townhouse but cheaper than a detached.

For us, we decided to go with a detached (even though it was a few hundred sq ft less than semis) because we value our privacy and wanted a bigger lot and no regrets. However, our neighbour friends who are almost all in semis love theirs. So I really think if you're buying for primary residency and not just resale, consider the lifestyle differences and not just resale value.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3561 posts
2823 upvotes
for investment, i'll choose a townhouse or semi right now , just more room to grow in prices vs detached. This is from a GTA lens

people say land is more valuable in a detached..sure to an extent, you're assuming the land can be rezoned and developable in an area where rebuilds are occuring. This is a very niche view and huge majority of detached homes can't be redeveloped let alone be part of land assembly that's attractive. unless you have a large lot detached along a major collector planned for redevelopment in your lifetime or investment lifetime.

for most people, it'll just be a sale of the land/building, so detached are capping out mostly in the 1.6M range in the GTA even with the ultra low mortgage rates while towns/semis are around 1M .

with price of detached now, i'd rather buy a condo and a townhouse instead of a detached for roughly same amount of money
Newbie
Oct 28, 2018
36 posts
66 upvotes
Older detached. We got our 1970s detached in Kitchener for $428,000 last year, and the upgrade from renting in a townhouse is astounding. I'll never share a wall with randos in my permanent residence again if I can help it.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 30, 2008
652 posts
147 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: for investment, i'll choose a townhouse or semi right now , just more room to grow in prices vs detached. This is from a GTA lens

people say land is more valuable in a detached..sure to an extent, you're assuming the land can be rezoned and developable in an area where rebuilds are occuring. This is a very niche view and huge majority of detached homes can't be redeveloped let alone be part of land assembly that's attractive. unless you have a large lot detached along a major collector planned for redevelopment in your lifetime or investment lifetime.

for most people, it'll just be a sale of the land/building, so detached are capping out mostly in the 1.6M range in the GTA even with the ultra low mortgage rates while towns/semis are around 1M .

with price of detached now, i'd rather buy a condo and a townhouse instead of a detached for roughly same amount of money
I won't speak for others responding but I wasn't referring to land being more valuable from a rebuilding perspective at all. I meant that people are willing to pay for more outside living space. As in, I will pay a premium for a bigger lot so I can enjoy more space between myself and my neighbour and for a larger deck, etc. in the backyard.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 24, 2017
75 posts
40 upvotes
azia wrote: I won't speak for others responding but I wasn't referring to land being more valuable from a rebuilding perspective at all. I meant that people are willing to pay for more outside living space. As in, I will pay a premium for a bigger lot so I can enjoy more space between myself and my neighbour and for a larger deck, etc. in the backyard.
I agree

I see towns and semis these days with no/very small backyards
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5119 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
azia wrote: I won't speak for others responding but I wasn't referring to land being more valuable from a rebuilding perspective at all. I meant that people are willing to pay for more outside living space. As in, I will pay a premium for a bigger lot so I can enjoy more space between myself and my neighbour and for a larger deck, etc. in the backyard.
Agreed... I'd go even further and say I would rather have a smaller detached house that fits nicely on the plot, than a new style detached house that is built right up to the edges and touching distance to the neighbouring one. Just speaking for myself, I can't comprehend spending millions of dollars, or even designing a custom home, that is literally right up against the one next door.

But I must be in the minority because I also can't stand the trend of having the street name written on the front of your house either.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
18377 posts
2780 upvotes
Langley
aspiretobegreat wrote: I agree

I see towns and semis these days with no/very small backyards
But many townhouses have a playground. And a clubhouse.

The original question was what holds value better - it will be the detached.

But if I had a couple of kids, and was planning on the long term, the additional inside space is more valuable as kids age and have less need for a yard. Older kids spend more time inside and away from the home, they don't use a yard much anymore. Despite the many pitfalls with a townhouse, IMO, it's probably the better option from a purely practical standpoint.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)