Home & Garden

Small light electrical question, need help!!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 12:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3434 posts
1463 upvotes
Scarborough

Small light electrical question, need help!!

I am asking for advice because I tried looking on Google and not sure if it's because I'm not searching for the proper language or what but I've come here to hopefully find an answer.

I bought one of these

I removed the frosted panel and inside are two wires (white and red).
I want to remove the LED panels from all the lights and install them underneath my kitchen cabinet. How do I connect those white and red cables to a power adapter so I can plug it in to my wall outlet? Is the current light fixture regulating the voltage through the e26 socket? How would I be able to regulate the voltage if I want to connect these without the socket and just straight into the outlet. Please and thank you.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2459 posts
1291 upvotes
Mississauga
If I understand correctly, LED strip lights need a controller to work. You won't be able to plug them in directly. You are better of buying under cabinet lights at Ikea.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5022 posts
2198 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
IndyBeak wrote: If I understand correctly, LED strip lights need a controller to work. You won't be able to plug them in directly. You are better of buying under cabinet lights at Ikea.
Nah, OP just needs to mount one of these under the cabinet.....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/levito ... 1000107122
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3434 posts
1463 upvotes
Scarborough
IndyBeak wrote: If I understand correctly, LED strip lights need a controller to work. You won't be able to plug them in directly. You are better of buying under cabinet lights at Ikea.
So the male screw base that is connected to the lights acts as the controller when plugged into the female screw base?
thriftshopper wrote: Nah, OP just needs to mount one of these under the cabinet.....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/levito ... 1000107122
I wanted to have the led lights set up horizontally underneath my kitchen cabinet without the need of all that plastic. If I were to connect it like you described I would have to leave everything in place.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3434 posts
1463 upvotes
Scarborough
Can I strip the end of the this cable and just hook it up to the white and red cables? using one of those USB charging blocks?

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4101 posts
1321 upvotes
Oshawa
We bought four of these ones. Motion sensor. Charge via USB. 3M tape to backside of magnetic mount. And these are removable. Done.

MOSTON Bright Closet Light 54LED Motion Sensor Night Lights USB Rechargeable Battery-Operated for Under Cabinet/Counter,Wardrobe,Cupboard,Stairway,Stick on Anywhere,Built-in Magnetic,1Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B089WB263K/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1678 posts
1231 upvotes
GTA West
OrangeBerry wrote: I am asking for advice because I tried looking on Google and not sure if it's because I'm not searching for the proper language or what but I've come here to hopefully find an answer.

I bought one of these

I removed the frosted panel and inside are two wires (white and red).
I want to remove the LED panels from all the lights and install them underneath my kitchen cabinet. How do I connect those white and red cables to a power adapter so I can plug it in to my wall outlet? Is the current light fixture regulating the voltage through the e26 socket? How would I be able to regulate the voltage if I want to connect these without the socket and just straight into the outlet. Please and thank you.
No, no, don't go there. The power unit and the LED panels are made to work together. You will not be able to get matching power units. You need to keep the original power supply.

There are lots of better under-cabinet LED lighting options out there, and I saw a new type at Costco recently.

2 years ago I assembled my own custom lighting using LED tapes, a power supply, and mounting hardware from Lee Valley. The components are very versatile.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... hting-kits

Pay attention to the LED colour spectrum and brightness or you may end up with something that looks terrible.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9189 posts
4711 upvotes
Paris
Cheap strip lights at $1/foot or less and some nice track/cover up stuff from lee valley is the way to go for my next kitchen. I bought some LED puck lights from Lowes on clearance years ago that work well enough.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3402 posts
2241 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Dealmaker1945 wrote: No, no, don't go there. The power unit and the LED panels are made to work together. You will not be able to get matching power units. You need to keep the original power supply.

There are lots of better under-cabinet LED lighting options out there, and I saw a new type at Costco recently.

2 years ago I assembled my own custom lighting using LED tapes, a power supply, and mounting hardware from Lee Valley. The components are very versatile.

Pay attention to the LED colour spectrum and brightness or you may end up with something that looks terrible.
OP; Listen to this advice. Don't be dicking around trying to rewire that fixture.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5327 posts
3603 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: OP; Listen to this advice. Don't be dicking around trying to rewire that fixture.
We can now find cheap undercabinet led lights, why bother risking an accident or a fire messing around with this....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3434 posts
1463 upvotes
Scarborough
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
No, no, don't go there. The power unit and the LED panels are made to work together. You will not be able to get matching power units. You need to keep the original power supply.

Jerico wrote: Cheap strip lights at $1/foot or less and some nice track/cover up stuff from lee valley is the way to go for my next kitchen. I bought some LED puck lights from Lowes on clearance years ago that work well enough.
MrFrugal1 wrote:
OP; Listen to this advice. Don't be dicking around trying to rewire that fixture.
DoorCrasher wrote: We can now find cheap undercabinet led lights, why bother risking an accident or a fire messing around with this....

To be honest I was never trying to be stubborn about this idea, obviously there are far better, cheaper and quality looking lights that I can purchase for underneath my kitchen cabinet. What I didn't mention until now because I guess I have to, is that I purchased these lights to grow herbs and they have done an exceptional job in doing so. These lights were purchased on a deal through Amazon. 6000K with 6000 Lumens and I know for a fact those thin LED strips that you folks are recommended are unfortunately not the same output needed. Furthermore if I were to purchase lights (T8's) they start getting pretty expensive. These lights cost me $10 all in shipped.

This is why I was trying to get a workaround.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5327 posts
3603 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: To be honest I was never trying to be stubborn about this idea, obviously there are far better, cheaper and quality looking lights that I can purchase for underneath my kitchen cabinet. What I didn't mention until now because I guess I have to, is that I purchased these lights to grow herbs and they have done an exceptional job in doing so. These lights were purchased on a deal through Amazon. 6000K with 6000 Lumens and I know for a fact those thin LED strips that you folks are recommended are unfortunately not the same output needed. Furthermore if I were to purchase lights (T8's) they start getting pretty expensive. These lights cost me $10 all in shipped.

This is why I was trying to get a workaround.
saving a few bucks messing around with this can lead to $$$ damages, insurance claim, injuries or even death. I don't want to look paranoid, but those lights were made for a special purpose, not for messing around with and make them look like under cabinet led lights. My opinion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3434 posts
1463 upvotes
Scarborough
DoorCrasher wrote: saving a few bucks messing around with this can lead to $$$ damages, insurance claim, injuries or even death. I don't want to look paranoid, but those lights were made for a special purpose, not for messing around with and make them look like under cabinet led lights. My opinion.
Yah this is why I raised the question, I didn't know the degree of how complicated this would be. I assumed because the LED board is connected to two wires that I can somehow flat them all out together into a row. Already bought these lights figured I could put them to better use. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5022 posts
2198 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
OrangeBerry wrote: I wanted to have the led lights set up horizontally underneath my kitchen cabinet without the need of all that plastic. If I were to connect it like you described I would have to leave everything in place.
That's the cheap arse, red neck solution, where "don't try this at home" may be one's last and final words.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2459 posts
1291 upvotes
Mississauga
OrangeBerry wrote: So the male screw base that is connected to the lights acts as the controller when plugged into the female screw base?
Just like everyone else on this thread, I would suggest going with other options rather than trying to make this work.
However, theoretically, if you manage to open the plastic cover of that rectangular/hexagonal thing in the middle, from which all the wires are coming out, you should be able to extract the controller/power supply. If you manage to retain the exact power connection mechanism outside of this light's body, then the lights should work.