• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 9:46 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2018
541 posts
681 upvotes
Underground Bunker

Small question about stereo install

Hello, noob here about cars and I have a small question. What do you do when your stereo has one ILL wire (illumination) and your car has two ILL+ ILL- wires ? Thanks. Is it even necessary to use the ILL wire ? There is the battery wire, the accessory wire etc...
Car: hyundai santa fe 2008, stereo: any

Edit : @fordmaple Thank you

Thanks
Images
  • 2008 Audio 1.jpg
Last edited by Ghost505 on Jul 15th, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1185 posts
2100 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Usually aftermarket stereos have 1 illumination wire and it's often positive (+) and fused. Ground (-) is often common throughout the vehicle. If you're swapping your OEM stereo with aftermarket, you'll connect the ILL(+) from the car to the aftermarket stereo ILL. Alternatively, you can use the ACCESSORY wire which is (+) and tie it to ILL on the aftermarket radio as the radio will light up the LEDs posing little draw and will light your stereo when ignition is in accessory. I've done numerous headunits and amps so am very familiar. Dont connect ILL directly to the battery (+) wire or the stereo lights will never shut off and your battery will die.
Oct 4, 2010
815 posts
442 upvotes
Surrey
wouldn't a direct connect harness be able to resolve wiring issues?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4318 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
On the ones ive installed, I didnt hook up the ILL wire at all as I couldnt find one on my car to use. The stereo still illuminates, just doesnt dim with the vehicle dimmer.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10097 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto
Don't think he using a harness, old way cut and splice
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)