Smallest fuel efficient Min 6 seat car/suv

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2019 9:45 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes

Smallest fuel efficient Min 6 seat car/suv

Anyone have recommendations for the smallest most fuel efficient car with at least 6 seats? With a good price for a reliable car?

From my research we are liking
- Kia Sedona
- Honda Pilot
- Subaru Ascent

Are there any that I should also look at? Which of the above are better? Seems like the Kia is the cheapest on the market. I also saw the Mazda 5 but it looks like they have discontinued that in Canada

We are looking to seat two adults and two child 0-4 years old. Occasionally two more adults but only a few times a year for short distances so don’t want to get anything to big.

Hoping for something under $55K

Thanks!
Last edited by foodaddict on Dec 15th, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Dec 30, 2016
314 posts
265 upvotes
Hi. I can't speak for the rest, but I've been eying the Sedona for a while too due to the seating/size. It's a feature packed vehicle for sure, but the fuel economy isn't that great from what I've seen. The only other option I saw was the pacifica plug in hybrid(which is also a van), but it's like 40k+ for a used one :/

There's the kia niro, but that one only seats 5, butt to get more room than with a sedan. But yeah, it's a bit difficult finding something efficient yet roomy if you don't have lots of money.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2586 posts
1834 upvotes
Markham
Sedona is a minivan, if you're ok with that size the Toyota Sienna is more ideal. Kia Sedona has a bigger resale problem than even the typical Kia. Toyota Highlander is a reliable 7 seater CUV...but it actually drives worse than the Sienna, feels even more soccer mom-like. The biggest problem with the 7 seater CUV and even big SUVs is their 3rd row seats are never ideal. Only the minivan class has 3rd row seats that will never be a problem even in the event your children get to adult sizes unexpectedly early. However with fuel efficiency...there is no really efficient 7 seater other than the Pacifica hybrid. Also note all 7 seaters are very large, a Chevrolet Tahoe is bigger than everything mentioned but its not that much bigger. Of the 3 you listed, the Ascent is the most fuel efficient, but its only slightly more and likely the only reason it is comes down to the fact its smaller than the other 3.

You're left with this conundrum. How often do you need those 6 seats? If its often, you'll take that penalty in fuel and drive a big vehicle, there's no way around it. If its not often at all...its probably wiser to save the money and go with a more manageable 5 seater car. They'll be more fuel efficient, cheaper to buy, if you go with sedan/hatchback/wagons they're cheaper to run and when you need those 6-7 seats just rent a 7-seater.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35227 posts
21212 upvotes
Center of Universe
XC90 PHEV.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15650 posts
16801 upvotes
Oakville
Tesla Model X seats 7. Though there's really no reason for an SUV, so you should just get the Model S with 7 seats.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9653 posts
1692 upvotes
Kia Rondo? Mazda5 or Orlando used?
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1425 posts
552 upvotes
If you can wait for the Model Y 3rd row, might be another option.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13434 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Model S
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15702 posts
13434 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: Tesla Model X seats 7. Though there's really no reason for an SUV, so you should just get the Model S with 7 seats.
Damn it, beat me to it LOL

Can't get anymore fuel efficient when it doesn't need fuel...
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes
Under $55k but lower the better!
x3fann wrote: OP you never stated your budget, what is it?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3921 posts
1280 upvotes
BC
Smallest 6 person SUV
Rogue
Outlander
Tiguan

Definitely not XC90 or model x
Dec 30, 2016
314 posts
265 upvotes
Just get the pacifica hybrid then.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5036 posts
3569 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I'm biased but I like my Honda pilot. Can actually fit people in third row.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes
How do you find the reliability and fuel efficiency?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7343 posts
5363 upvotes
Kitchener
x3fann wrote: Just get the pacifica hybrid then.
+1

I don't own one, but it would be on my very short list if requiring 6 seats. Qualifies for a $5,000 federal incentive and can do most of your driving for $1/day of cheap electricity. Unfortunately in the winter months it's still going to run the gas engine a fair bit to generate heat.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
engineered wrote: Tesla Model X seats 7. Though there's really no reason for an SUV, so you should just get the Model S with 7 seats.
there's an S with 7 seats?