• Aug 2nd, 2021 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19704 posts
28766 upvotes
ONTARIO

The "smart fit" resolution of attached images is too small

When someone attaches pictures to their post and you go to click on them to enlarge it, they do not open up in the original size. They open up in a resized image called "smart_fit".
This resolution seems awfully small. Especially if someone uploads a picture from a flyer or something with a lot of smaller text. Even clicking on it to zoom on, It's hard to make out a lot of detail.
Is there a setting somewhere to disable this "smart fit" view and have the image automatically open in it's original resolution every time?

Here's an example from the hot deals section.

Someone uploaded pictures of these knives for sale. When you click on them, by default they open up in a smaller resolution like this:
https://v.dam-img.rfdcontent.com/cms/00 ... rt_fit.jpg

I'd prefer they open up into this:
https://v.dam-img.rfdcontent.com/cms/00 ... iginal.jpg

Second image allows me to zoom in and actually read the small numbers on the price tags.
8 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15438 posts
29370 upvotes
Scarborough
The forums image system could definitely use some improvements. I'll open up a ticket to see if we can add a way to easily see images in their full resolution.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19704 posts
28766 upvotes
ONTARIO
TomRFD wrote: The forums image system could definitely use some improvements. I'll open up a ticket to see if we can add a way to easily see images in their full resolution.
That would be great, thanks.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20393 posts
4927 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Thanks for this... I think the idea of attaching images directly in the forum software was a good move to begin with.

I've gone back to so many old posts were the image links (photobucket, etc.) were all broken. That problem is solved when the images are saved directly in the forum DB.

Glad to see this feature will continue to evolve.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19704 posts
28766 upvotes
ONTARIO
I ended up finding a working solution for this. There's a nifty little userscript I am now using called Image Max URL
Image Max URL is a program that will try to find larger/original versions of images and videos, usually by replacing URL patterns.
https://github.com/qsniyg/maxurl
Now whenever I come across an attached picture in an RFD post and want to see the original, I can mouseover the image and hold down SHIFT and it will automatically pop-up the original image instead of the "smart fit" resized version.

I attached a picture below to show how it looks. This is how the RFD image viewer should look, in my opinion. I can click on the popped up image and zoom in anywhere. Much better for trying to read small text (like the ingredients listed in this picture).
Images
  • rfdimage.png
Feb 6, 2006
229 posts
28 upvotes
Gander
TomRFD wrote: The forums image system could definitely use some improvements. I'll open up a ticket to see if we can add a way to easily see images in their full resolution.
Almost a year later and still no fix for this issue. Any updates?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15438 posts
29370 upvotes
Scarborough
mconway wrote: Almost a year later and still no fix for this issue. Any updates?
They actually just started on the ticket this week so it should go live on the site within the next couple of weeks. The old workaround of right clicking and opening the image in a new tab recently stopped working, so I had them speed up adding a native way to view uploaded images in their full resolution. This was an especially big problem in the Costco threads, so soon there will be a button to view images in their original size.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15438 posts
29370 upvotes
Scarborough
There's now a "View Original Size" button when viewing attached photos in the forums. Clicking this button will open the image in its original size in a new tab.

vieworiginalsize.png
Feb 6, 2006
229 posts
28 upvotes
Gander
TomRFD wrote: There's now a "View Original Size" button when viewing attached photos in the forums. Clicking this button will open the image in its original size in a new tab.
Just noticed that this was fixed, makes a big difference in the Costco threads. Thanks so much.