• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2021 6:07 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
923 posts
611 upvotes
GTA

Smart home outdoor plant watering

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for an App controlled garden watering system?

I have far exceeded my germination ratio on my plants and don’t have the space for all the seedlings.
I plan to use my grandmas garden but she is unable to get outside like she used too and I am 30 minutes away.

My plan is to plant everything, lay down a soaker hose, and then control it via my phone or through some sort of smart home device or worst case use a mechanical outdoor faucet timer.

Looking for any input as now my aunt wants to jump on my plan and use the garden.

Thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1460 posts
896 upvotes
Barrie ON
Assuming that your Grandma has Wi-Fi available at her house, I think this would be the perfect solution. LINK

I have a Bhyve 12 zone irrigation controller, and 2 of these hose timers. If you already have the irrigation controller, the hose timers can connect to the Internet via the controller. No need to pay for the extra for the Wi-Fi hub.

These devices will adjust the watering schedule based on past weather and future weather forecasts.

[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
923 posts
611 upvotes
GTA
I’d need the whole kit, which would alleviate the problem of watering her front lawn.