• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 10:49 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
2254 posts
660 upvotes
Richmond, BC

Smart Home Thermostats

I moved to Vancouver where central air is baffling non-existent in older homes. My condo was built in 2001 and so, we have multiple thermostats, one in each room including bathrooms. My question is if there is a smart home solution that allows me to replace each thermostat with a wi-fi connected thermostat and use one app/solution to control them all. I used iOS but I'm willing to use whatever to control the rest of my house. I've been saving a up a budget to convert my home into a smarter one.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
nope, smart thermostats only work with forced air furnaces. sorry
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
GoodFellaz wrote: nope, smart thermostats only work with forced air furnaces. sorry
Not true, Nest works with electric radiator and in floor heating. Most smart thermostats are designed to work with low voltage system(24 volt). Millivolts systems(like fireplace) are not usually supported but can be modified to work too.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
syn3rgetic wrote: I moved to Vancouver where central air is baffling non-existent in older homes. My condo was built in 2001 and so, we have multiple thermostats, one in each room including bathrooms. My question is if there is a smart home solution that allows me to replace each thermostat with a wi-fi connected thermostat and use one app/solution to control them all. I used iOS but I'm willing to use whatever to control the rest of my house. I've been saving a up a budget to convert my home into a smarter one.
What is the wiring on your existing thermostat?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
2254 posts
660 upvotes
Richmond, BC
bubuski wrote: What is the wiring on your existing thermostat?

ummm... one of these

Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1284 posts
486 upvotes
BC
I was considering replacing several old analog wall thermostats (controlling electric baseboard heaters) with smart wi-fi units but decided I didn’t need that much of a technology upgrade.

Honeywell makes several programmable but non-smart thermostats for use with baseboard heaters. I just have the base non-programmable model RLV3120A, installed in 5 upstairs rooms in my house a year ago, only cost about $22 each during the winter thermostat sales at Cdn Tire. Very accurate (I checked each unit against a glass winemaker thermometer). Keeps the rooms at a steadier temperature but probably does not save anything on electricity. The programmable units are only about $10 more each.

Ground floor of my house uses a conventional gas furnace and I will soon upgrade the ancient bimetallic / mercury switch thermostat to a basic digital thermostat.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)