• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2019 6:16 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
643 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto

Smart lock for condo door

I live in a condo, so the concierge has a key to my unit. Yesterday they were doing some scheduled maintenance and entered my unit while I was at work. I got home around 10pm last night to an unlocked door that was also slightly ajar. I totally freaked out.

I complained to my building and they already took special measures to make sure this doesnt happen again. I'm still very nervous because I've had my home broken into in the past.

I can not change my knob or deadbolt as part of building rules, but i'm wondering if anyone knows of some sort of device which alerts me when someone tried entering my home, or that even allows me to remotely lock the door so no one can enter while I'm at work?

I found this, but it doesnt have the greatest reviews:
August Smart Lock Pro, 3rd Generation - Dark Gray, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0765LFNM7/ref ... NCbZ01PT5Z
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10838 posts
10080 upvotes
Oakville
Any magnetic door sensor will tell you when it's open. But the best solution for you is probably a simple webcam pointed at the door, with an alarm notification to tell you whenever there's movement.
You might also be allowed to put a Ring doorbell on, but not sure about condo rules. If there's a unit that replaced your peephole that would work.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2720 posts
107 upvotes
GTA
Smartthings (or other smart home hub) + door sensor + ifttt (or I prefer CoRe more)

You can program in a sequence that could send you a push notification or text message
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2389 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
If you want a better chance of not getting robbed..
Setup Smartthings and a two way camera with mic.
Have a way to let off a siren.. Or notify the robber he's being video taped and photographed.... Hey Mr robber.. I can see you. Yes. Stupid in the grey ball cap. I have video and photo.. Cue multiple hidden sirens... Lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27998 posts
13822 upvotes
Ottawa
A smart lock isn't going to prevent them from leaving the door ajar.
You need sensors to notify you, so you can call the concierge to go physically lock the door.
Sep 10, 2014
100 posts
97 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Can OP use the August locks? I don't think they replace your lock completely
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10838 posts
10080 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 8:25 am
A smart lock isn't going to prevent them from leaving the door ajar.
You need sensors to notify you, so you can call the concierge to go physically lock the door.
Or even just a spring return on the door to automatically close it.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2740 posts
483 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
From a lock stand point you can absolutely use an August lock to lock the door remotely as it simply replaces the interior thumb screw. The outside remains exactly as it is now. I have these locks on both of my exterior doors and have been extremely happy with them. We use the geofence to unlock the door for us when we arrive in the driveway and autolock when we leave in the event we forgot to lock it ourselves.

As others have stated though this will not help you with the problem of the door being left open. August Smart Lock Pro 3 does include a door sensor with it so that can notify you if the door is left open for X number of minutes.