• Aug 25th, 2021 9:40 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
91 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary

Smart locks for new home and cold Canadian winters

Hi,

Built a new home and the front door has the weather strip so have to push the door in slightly to lock the deadbolt. Will a smart lock work? Also anyone recommend one that is good for -40 days and don't need to change the battery every few months?

Looking at Schlage Encode, August wifi smart lock but open to other suggestions.

Tks!
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2024 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
No automatic lock (neither new smart nor any old-school electronic keypad lock that have been around for the past 20 years) will work if the deadbolt can't slide smoothly into the door jamb.

So, NO, none will work if you have to manually push or pull your door into the proper position to engage the deadbolt by hand.

Any electronic lock (smart or old school) will work in -40C days if the batteries are located and installed on the inside of the door, since the batteries will be operating at +20C room temperature. If the batteries are located on the outside of the door, then look for another brand of lock.
Dec 11, 2013
477 posts
389 upvotes
Richmond
Same comment as cba123 but if you're lucky, you could file a slightly larger opening on the strikeplate to allow deadbolt movement. Moving the strikeplate probably not going to work. Keep in mind that your new deadbolt and strikeplate combo might have a different width/shape. Thinner weather stripping is a possibility.

I only have dumb keypad deadbolts. Schlage Camelot keypad deadbolt for front door (not motorized, need to pull the door like you) and Weiser Smartcode 10 for garage entrance (motorized, had to file the strikeplate wider so we could lock and go with baby in arm).
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3429 posts
2210 upvotes
Mississauga
If the door normally gets stuck and yu have to push it a bit to be able to turn the deadbolt, then the smartlock would get stuck as well. Their motors are not that powerful. If it is only a little obstruction, then you can probably chisel out a little wood out of door frame so that deadbolt would have enough space to get in.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2096 posts
2290 upvotes
Toronto
I dont believe The Schlage BE365 CAM Camelot Keypad Deadbolt is a smartlock as it does not work off of an app, do believe you dont need a key as it has a keypad.

To solve the low temp and battery issue once you key in the code you need to turn the knob, so with your tight door it would solve that issue. Seeing the power only activates an actuator and not the entire mechanism the battery lasts much, much longer.

It isnt a smart lock, however worth looking into if you cannot find a suitable alternative.

I want to put one in my garage, secure my tools more than the open door I have now lol.

https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-BE365-CAM ... 6541&psc=1
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37792 posts
23873 upvotes
Center of Universe
A smart lock will work perfectly fine, as you should be physically pulling/pushing the doorknob to engage the lock.
It's not a good habit to simply close the door, walk away to remote lock or wait for it to auto lock.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7540 posts
8112 upvotes
Vancouver
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I dont believe The Schlage BE365 CAM Camelot Keypad Deadbolt is a smartlock as it does not work off of an app, do believe you dont need a key as it has a keypad.

To solve the low temp and battery issue once you key in the code you need to turn the knob, so with your tight door it would solve that issue. Seeing the power only activates an actuator and not the entire mechanism the battery lasts much, much longer.
You are correct about the operation of the Schlage BE365, and that's a good suggestion if the OP really wants an electronic deadbolt rather than a networked "smart" lock.

Of course the OP could simply get in the habit of pushing/pulling the door into the frame a bit every time he operates the lock. But that would remove the option of operating a smart lock remotely.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
91 posts
18 upvotes
Calgary
thanks everyone. assuming I can fix the deadbolt issue and it turns easily, which smartlock would you recommend?
Dec 11, 2013
477 posts
389 upvotes
Richmond
They're all ok. We went with Weiser as our primary brand because of the Smartkey rekeying function. Now I only need to hide one physical key on my property. It's in the fake rock by the apple tree.. jk lol.

There's a saying that locks only keep honest people out. All doors can be broken into, even without picking the lock. Go the RFD route: factor in price, function, and then aesthetics.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5208 posts
1685 upvotes
Wat
Recommend schlage with zwave.

Gone through 2 years. Changed batteries for the first time a couple months ago.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2273 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
I went with a Weiser smartlock as well and our front door needs to be reset probably like once a week or else it stops working. It also eats through batteries every few months. We have the same lock on our garage door but it doesn't freeze up and hasn't needed the battery changed in the same amount of time.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3429 posts
2210 upvotes
Mississauga
bob5593 wrote: They're all ok. We went with Weiser as our primary brand because of the Smartkey rekeying function. Now I only need to hide one physical key on my property. It's in the fake rock by the apple tree.. jk lol.

There's a saying that locks only keep honest people out. All doors can be broken into, even without picking the lock. Go the RFD route: factor in price, function, and then aesthetics.
Do you plan to expand and get into more smart devices, like switches, lights and such. If yes, then get a Zwave or Zigbee based locks. Yale and Weiser make good locks. Keep an eye on discounts and you may find them occasionally under 200$.

If your plan to have only a couple of smart devices around the house, then you can get a wifi lock. These can be had for cheaper when on sale, in 100-150$ range.

Although people prefer different things, however my personal suggestion would be to get smartlock that can also be opened with a key. I dont like the idea of having a touchpad only lock and getting stuck outside on a cold night because some electronic component fried inside.
Last edited by IndyBeak on Aug 25th, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6382 posts
627 upvotes
Murica
I suggest August lock as it’s put interior side of door so temps will not be frigid. And you can use top grade deadbolt.

If battery runs out of juice, you can still use key.

I believe 3rd gen is better than 4th gen in terms of wifi connection and battery type costs.

Most Airbnb houses that I’ve been using last few years use them.