• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 6:31 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2007
156 posts
28 upvotes

Smart Plug for 220v Stoves/Oven

Hi,
I am looking for a smart plug to be used with an electric oven, so I think the plug is UK type and handles 220v.
Any recommendations?

I googled and found "Wallflower" but found it too expensive for the features it offers, especially when it cannot turn off the plug.
I found some on aliexpress but not sure which one to choose, so I wonder if anyone here has used one and can share the experience.
Like this one, is it 10A enough?
Orvibo Home Automation B25

Cheers,
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
Why do you want a smart plug on your oven?

If you're looking to replace a slow cooker or something, you're going about this the wrong way.

10A is definitely not enough. Regular 120Vcircuits are 15A max, so this being 240v, it'll be more.

If you still intend to go thru with this, make sure the device is certified for safety and insurance purpose.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
marc_t wrote: 10A is definitely not enough. Regular 120Vcircuits are 15A max, so this being 240v, it'll be more.
Being 240v rather than 120v does not imply that it uses more amps. Rather the opposite - the same oven power at 240v will use half the amps of 120v.

But most ovens are on a 30-amp breaker. That is, they use twice the volts and twice the amps to produce 4x the heating power of a typical 120v mini-oven on a 15-amp circuit.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1702 posts
415 upvotes
No 10A will not be enough for a stove/oven application. As Exp315 said the breaker is 30A. You will need a much heavier duty switch/contactor with at least 2 poles to be able to turn this off/on. This will get expensive.
Also note that this device probably take up a lot more room behind the stove; so if you insist on going down this road make sure it will fit first.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3603 posts
948 upvotes
Why do you need this? I would not trust anything sold on aliexpress for a oven, that's asking for trouble.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2007
156 posts
28 upvotes
I want to make sure the oven is off before everyone left the place. For a peace of mind. Based on the replies here, it seems only "Wallflower" is up fo the task.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6051 posts
1540 upvotes
aikidoka wrote: I want to make sure the oven is off before everyone left the place. For a peace of mind. Based on the replies here, it seems only "Wallflower" is up fo the task.
You need an Aeotec heavy duty appliance controller. It can handle up to 9.6kw (40A @ 240v). The wiring diagram requires some sort of air gap switch and essentially requires the disassembly or rewiring of the wires that go into the device. So, it's recommended that it be installed by an electrician. It seems to be quite the controller but has its quirks like slow status updates. But hey, it's also a z-wave plus repeater...

https://www.aartech.ca/aeon-labs-zeotec-zw078.html
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」