• Aug 29th, 2021 9:17 pm
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
371 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver

Smart switch for gas fireplace

Hi All,

I have this gas fireplace which is controlled buy a single pole regular light switch. Look like the wires going to the switch doesn't have and voltage, just closing a circuit looks like. I don't think I can run some power to there easily.

Is there any smart switch options for such circuit?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
The wires running to the switch are most likely standard 24v HVAC wires and any thermostat, smart or not, will fix you up. You should test the wire voltage first with a multimeter but this is the setup in my house, and all my families houses with gas fireplaces.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
371 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Jerico wrote: The wires running to the switch are most likely standard 24v HVAC wires and any thermostat, smart or not, will fix you up. You should test the wire voltage first with a multimeter but this is the setup in my house, and all my families houses with gas fireplaces.
I measured but no voltage on them. I'll do again.

But this is not doing temperature control or anything. Just turns the fireplace on/off. I think I just need a smart switch other than a thermostat.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2371 posts
3090 upvotes
I had thoughts about adding a smart switch to my gas fireplace too for remote control operation.

Gas fireplace switch typically provides a simple contact closure to a millivolt valve control, which is "powered" by the thermocouple (heat from the pilot).

Or if it is an non-constant pilot, electronically controlled ignitor, it will still be a simple contact switch.

As you said, there is no 120VAC or 24V furnace type power that is used for an electronic/smart switch in the box with the fireplace switch, most likely.

There are options to get power and controls I've looked at, such as (search this on Amazon or similar):

Durablow SH3001 Gas Fireplace Millivolt Valve WiFi Smart Home Remote Control Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, IFTTT (On/Off + Timer + Smart Functions)

Also you may have a power-feed at the fireplace for a 120VAC fan that offers additional possibilities.

Also note that there may be local safety regulations about having remotely controllable gas fireplaces.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7135 upvotes
Paris
fasacrifice wrote: I measured but no voltage on them. I'll do again.

But this is not doing temperature control or anything. Just turns the fireplace on/off. I think I just need a smart switch other than a thermostat.
That’s what mine was, houses in my family built 2000-2005. Check for 24v ac
Feb 28, 2018
179 posts
116 upvotes
Waterloo region
Jerico wrote: That’s what mine was, houses in my family built 2000-2005. Check for 24v ac
750mv. 3/4 volt... DC
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
It's possible to do this with a relay if line voltage power can be run to the existing light switch box.
May not exactly be code compliant.

Most gas fireplaces are millivolt.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
May 1, 2016
5 posts
If the unit has a remote you could use ‘Bond’ smart hub that will convert ir and rf remote signals to a digital signal that works with your smart home. It will also work with ceiling fans and blinds with remotes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7587 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver
They make a widely-available standard part for this application, the Sonoff SV switch: https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-sv/
(SV = Safe Voltage. meaning it switches any low voltage and is powered by an independent 5v power supply).
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
371 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Scote64 wrote: They make a widely-available standard part for this application, the Sonoff SV switch: https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-sv/
(SV = Safe Voltage. meaning it switches any low voltage and is powered by an independent 5v power supply).
Thanks all. I think this is the thing can do it but again I need a DC voltage supply for this.

What about this regular smart switches which don't need neutral line? Do they work with battery or something? I was hoping something with battery.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
fasacrifice wrote: Thanks all. I think this is the thing can do it but again I need a DC voltage supply for this.

What about this regular smart switches which don't need neutral line? Do they work with battery or something? I was hoping something with battery.
Electronic switches and timers that don't use a neutral usually steal power from the circuit.

As I suggested before, if you can get line voltage power to the switch box easily, you can install a regular smart switch and have it actuate a relay which switches on the fireplace.
It is unlikely that you can.

Almost everything of this nature that has wifi isn't battery powered.
So, it would have to be something that uses a power-supply.

May not be worth while.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Jan 19, 2013
678 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa
If your fireplace has a fan, that means you have line power there.
Make all the connections in the fireplace, parallel with the wall switch which will be handy during a power outage.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1098 upvotes
Oakville
OP, you never answered robsaw question... Do you already have a 120v power source inside the fireplace, powering a fan?

If you do, then you can install any smart relay inside the fireplace that is wired parallel to the wall switch wiring on the relay side, and powered by the 120v power source inside the fireplace. You don't need to mount the relay in the switch box.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2030 posts
1098 upvotes
Oakville
1chinaman wrote: If your fireplace has a fan, that means you have line power there.
Make all the connections in the fireplace, parallel with the wall switch which will be handy during a power outage.
Lol. You and I were writing up the exact same response at the same time.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2010
371 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
cba123 wrote: OP, you never answered robsaw question... Do you already have a 120v power source inside the fireplace, powering a fan?

If you do, then you can install any smart relay inside the fireplace that is wired parallel to the wall switch wiring on the relay side, and powered by the 120v power source inside the fireplace. You don't need to mount the relay in the switch box.
I'll check if there is any power. Hopefully there is
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1511 posts
1168 upvotes
QuinteWest
I had similar scenario. Would love to replace with smart technology. I just went with plain old spring wound 60 minute timer. At least for now I know it will turn off after 60 minutes.
Images
  • 20210806_202200.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)