• May 10th, 2018 11:32 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21490 posts
9992 upvotes
Toronto

Which smart thermostat is better

I signed up for a tax payer funded smart thermostat replacement. I got an email recently about the choices of thermostat available in the program and I was asked to research and be prepared to make a choice. I would like to ask others who have used or considering buying a smart thermostat to weigh in and offer some insights. The thermostat choices are Ecobee3 lite, Honeywell Liric T6, and Nest Thermostat E. Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.

https://greenon.ca/?utm_source=SLNL-0-4 ... 55-288852-
75 replies
Apr 8, 2010
788 posts
436 upvotes
toronto
do you have any home automation or smart devices or thinking of getting one? no all of them will work with the thermostat.

i like the geofencing of the honeywell, think it's a really cool feature and negates having to set up schedules.

at the end of the day, they're all good and each have their pluses and minus. go through the features and find the ones that's important to you
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9538 posts
2158 upvotes
Somewhere
Ecobee is Canadian, if that's a factor..
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6745 posts
1267 upvotes
Ecobee as it has wireless sensors. My thermostat location is in the dinning room where there are not much traffic, so having wireless sensor in the other areas really helps.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14205 posts
5815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I second Ecobee... Canadian company... wireless sensors which are helpful in presence/occupancy monitoring, temperature averaging and exclusion of certain zones based on the time of day, and it's ready to be integrated for Home Automation whether you're using Homekit, SmartThings, IFTTT, Wink, Amazon Echo, etc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21490 posts
9992 upvotes
Toronto
I have not other smart devices or home automation at the moment and no concerns at the moment with pairing to other devices. From my initial research it seems like Ecobee is in the iOS camp and Nest in android camp. I use android phones and so that sways be a bit over to the Nest. However, I sort of like the idea of having the wireless sensors. In the winter, I would like to use the more heavily occupied rooms to determine heating requirements. In the summer, I would like to use the hot side of the house to determine cooling requirements. I am not sure if cooling can be controlled by humidity. High relative humidity in the basement would be a good consideration for cooling.

On the geofencing feature on the Honeywell, can it work with multiple devices?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3820 posts
2850 upvotes
Ajax
I bought the Ecobee3 Lite in June, sort of bummed out I can't take part of this. Anyway I got my dad and my father-in-law to sign up so at least they might get a smart thermostat.

I recommended the Ecobee3 Lite for it's functionality. The additional room sensors are great, especially if you have a big house. Room sensors will average the temperature, plus they detect occupancy.

One great thing I like, is you can set individual sensors to work for different modes (like Home, Away, Sleep). So for example at night, since it's only my fiancee and me in the house we have one sensor on in our bedroom for our Sleep setting and turn off all other sensors during that cycle. That way even if it gets colder downstairs but is a nice temperature in our room, it won't run during that cycle until the morning when it's time to get up.

I don't know much about the new Nest E. To be honest it physically looks worse than the actual Nest so I'd stick with the Ecobee3 Lite.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21490 posts
9992 upvotes
Toronto
redkulat wrote: I bought the Ecobee3 Lite in June, sort of bummed out I can't take part of this. Anyway I got my dad and my father-in-law to sign up so at least they might get a smart thermostat.

I recommended the Ecobee3 Lite for it's functionality. The additional room sensors are great, especially if you have a big house. Room sensors will average the temperature, plus they detect occupancy.

One great thing I like, is you can set individual sensors to work for different modes (like Home, Away, Sleep). So for example at night, since it's only my fiancee and me in the house we have one sensor on in our bedroom for our Sleep setting and turn off all other sensors during that cycle. That way even if it gets colder downstairs but is a nice temperature in our room, it won't run during that cycle until the morning when it's time to get up.

I don't know much about the new Nest E. To be honest it physically looks worse than the actual Nest so I'd stick with the Ecobee3 Lite.
The Ecobee lite is black. That is going to look add against a light colored wall. It does have a touch screen feature that Nest E doesn't offer. I am leaning towards the Ecobee for the remote sensors. I would like the option to use different parts of the house to control temperature at different times.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14205 posts
5815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
will888 wrote: The Ecobee lite is black. That is going to look add against a light colored wall. It does have a touch screen feature that Nest E doesn't offer. I am leaning towards the Ecobee for the remote sensors. I would like the option to use different parts of the house to control temperature at different times.
The remote sensors is key. As an example, I have a sensor in the basement, where it's generally cooler than the rest of the house. But if no one is down there, I don't care, and I wouldn't want the furnace to run unnecessarily to heat up that space if no one is there. But when the sensors detect occupancy in the basement (e.g. my kids go down there to play) then the temperature sensor automatically gets included in the mix, and would trigger the furnace to fire up to bring the temperature in the basement up to preset levels based on the mode.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2991 posts
1489 upvotes
Mississauga
rvs007 wrote: The remote sensors is key. As an example, I have a sensor in the basement, where it's generally cooler than the rest of the house. But if no one is down there, I don't care, and I wouldn't want the furnace to run unnecessarily to heat up that space if no one is there. But when the sensors detect occupancy in the basement (e.g. my kids go down there to play) then the temperature sensor automatically gets included in the mix, and would trigger the furnace to fire up to bring the temperature in the basement up to preset levels based on the mode.
without a real zoning hvac, won't your upstairs just get hotter than you's like?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14205 posts
5815 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bubuski wrote: without a real zoning hvac, won't your upstairs just get hotter than you's like?
To a degree, yes. But because the Ecobee3 is smart enough to apply temperature averaging throughout all active zones, it will not "overheat" the upstairs to the point where it is uncomfortable.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3538 posts
1794 upvotes
Waterloo
will888 wrote: I have not other smart devices or home automation at the moment and no concerns at the moment with pairing to other devices. From my initial research it seems like Ecobee is in the iOS camp and Nest in android camp. I use android phones and so that sways be a bit over to the Nest. However, I sort of like the idea of having the wireless sensors. In the winter, I would like to use the more heavily occupied rooms to determine heating requirements. In the summer, I would like to use the hot side of the house to determine cooling requirements. I am not sure if cooling can be controlled by humidity. High relative humidity in the basement would be a good consideration for cooling.

On the ecobee website, it says it can be used with both Android and iOS devices. Or does iOS give more features?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3538 posts
1794 upvotes
Waterloo
rvs007 wrote: To a degree, yes. But because the Ecobee3 is smart enough to apply temperature averaging throughout all active zones, it will not "overheat" the upstairs to the point where it is uncomfortable.
Would you be able to elaborate on "apply temperature averaging throughout all active zones"?

When I was reading about the sensors, the first thing that popped into my mind was basically "if I put a sensor in a room (or rooms) where it's colder than other rooms in my house and this in turn makes the furnace turn on to bring up the temperature in those colder rooms, this just makes the rest of the house hotter than I want it!". I'm sure I'm wrong, just want to know how this whole thing works.

On a side note: For those picking the ecobee3 lite for the GreenON program, are you sure it even comes with the sensors? Because the ecobee website says the sensors are sold separately.
Last edited by crystallight on Oct 19th, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3820 posts
2850 upvotes
Ajax
will888 wrote: I have not other smart devices or home automation at the moment and no concerns at the moment with pairing to other devices. From my initial research it seems like Ecobee is in the iOS camp and Nest in android camp. I use android phones and so that sways be a bit over to the Nest. However, I sort of like the idea of having the wireless sensors. In the winter, I would like to use the more heavily occupied rooms to determine heating requirements. In the summer, I would like to use the hot side of the house to determine cooling requirements. I am not sure if cooling can be controlled by humidity. High relative humidity in the basement would be a good consideration for cooling.

My SO is an iPhone user and I am an Android user. The app works well with both. The Ecobee has Homekit support plus Google Assistant / Home support as well. I also have Wink 2 Hub so that works well for us but the app does all the functions we need just fine.

You can also use IFTTT with geofencing capabilities. The Ecobee app has geofencing options built in as well for both iOS and Android.

Don't look back, get the Ecobee3 Lite.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3820 posts
2850 upvotes
Ajax
crystallight wrote: Would you be able to elaborate on "apply temperature averaging throughout all active zones"?

When I was reading about the sensors, the first thing that popped into my mind was basically "if I put a sensor in a room (or rooms) where it's colder than other rooms in my house and this in turn makes the furnace turn on to bring up the temperature in those colder rooms, this just makes the rest of the house hotter than I want it!". I'm sure I'm wrong, just want to know how this whole thing works.

On a side note: For those picking the ecobee3 lite for the GreenON program, are you sure it even comes with the sensors? Because the ecobee website says the sensors are sold separately.
You have to buy the sensors separately, but the Ecobee3 Lite supports sensors with a new firmware update (it didn't last year).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
I didn't read the other comments, I'm just here to share my experience with them.

Ecobee, Probably the best option of the 3. Great integration, the remote sensors are helpful if you have a rather large house or another use case for them (activity pattern, etc). Geofencing actually works.
The look isn't great(IMO), the Nest E doesn't look great either. In general it just works without too many hiccups.

Nest. I don't like the look of the E. It lacks all the great industrial design elements of the original.
Geofencing function of the Nest just sucks. It's outright broken on Android (the app isn't working right with Doze and AppStandby), and kinda works on iOS. They broke the auto-learning function with the August update. The latest update in their app is doing something weird with scheduling(doesn't save sometimes). The Eco/Away/Home function is a disaster compared how it used to work, this ties back to the Geofence capability. I can't recommend Nest to anyone jumping in to this automation world, it's just way too buggy.

The biggest draw back to using Nest or Ecobee here is the lack of HRV control if you have one vs the Lyric 6. All Nests Lack HRV control Ecobee only has it on the Non-Lite. Keep this in mind if you want to integrate your HVAC in to an all in one unit. Nest E doesn't support multistage heating/cooling or humidifier control. The Ecobee will support multistage but no humidifier.

Honeywell is also a case of it just works and supports the largest HVAC combination out of the 3.
Sometimes (HVAC Combo) this will be your biggest decider. This is your HVAC we're talking about, not just some smart light bulb.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2991 posts
1489 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote: I didn't read the other comments, I'm just here to share my experience with them.

Ecobee, Probably the best option of the 3. Great integration, the remote sensors are helpful if you have a rather large house or another use case for them (activity pattern, etc). Geofencing actually works.
The look isn't great(IMO), the Nest E doesn't look great either. In general it just works without too many hiccups.

Nest. I don't like the look of the E. It lacks all the great industrial design elements of the original.
Geofencing function of the Nest just sucks. It's outright broken on Android (the app isn't working right with Doze and AppStandby), and kinda works on iOS. They broke the auto-learning function with the August update. The latest update in their app is doing something weird with scheduling(doesn't save sometimes). The Eco/Away/Home function is a disaster compared how it used to work, this ties back to the Geofence capability. I can't recommend Nest to anyone jumping in to this automation world, it's just way too buggy.

The biggest draw back to using Nest or Ecobee here is the lack of HRV control if you have one vs the Lyric 6. All Nests Lack HRV control Ecobee only has it on the Non-Lite. Keep this in mind if you want to integrate your HVAC in to an all in one unit. Nest E doesn't support multistage heating/cooling or humidifier control. The Ecobee will support multistage but no humidifier.

Honeywell is also a case of it just works and supports the largest HVAC combination out of the 3.
Sometimes (HVAC Combo) this will be your biggest decider. This is your HVAC we're talking about, not just some smart light bulb.
I'm a Nest user. I actually have two units installed in my home and do not experience any of the issues you've mentioned. Maybe its just android app related. Gec-fencing has been working great on iPhone 6/6S even after I did a full reset earlier this year

I find Eco/Away/Home function is much much better than how it was previously without the Eco function. With it split up, Eco just for temperature and Home/Away to assist other smart integrations (camera, lights etc). You can then add eco temperature check to home/away status if required.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1757 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto
I own a Nest and I second the comments above. The Geofencing feature is simply BROKEN. I can leave the house for hours on end but Nest simply refuses to go to "Away" mode. I say go with Ecobee.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21191 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
ecobee sensors are $90 for 2 and you'd have to buy them separately (as previously mentioned)

If you care about home automation, ecobee hands down. Honestly besides the fact that the nest can run without a c wire, I don't see any advantage to it over the ecobee.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2918 posts
1087 upvotes
Windsor
When I was picking a thermostat, I was picking between the Lyric, Nest, and Ecobee; I picked the Nest, and was so unimpressed with the featureset / useability that I sold it (for profit, oddly enough) and bought a "dumb" 7-day wifi Honeywell. The cheap Honeywell is better in every way, except for appearance.

If I was REALLY sold on a smart thermostat, I'd either get the Lyric (price is right, I have faith in the reliability of the Honeywell brand, and it looks the best IMO), or Ecobee (if I really wanted the remote sensors, which I don't).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.