None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1156 posts
364 upvotes
Mississauga area

Smart.Vet

Just wanted to let Ontarians know about Smart.Vet if it'll help anyone. As far as I know, they are licensed Ontario vets.

My dog peed on the couch and started peeing more frequently than usual and she even whimpered a little. It made me suspect urinary tract infection, and if anyone had ever had one, you know it's painful and annoying.

Most vets are closed on Sundays including my usual vet. I called a few vets that are open on Sunday and they were closed because of the long weekend. The ones that were open were booked and not taking patients. I called at least 5 vets that were supposedly open. Then I called the 24 hour emergency vets (Mississauga, Burlington, Hamilton, Cambridge) and the ones that were taking patients said it's 8 hour wait for Cambridge, and +12 hours for Mississauga.

Insane! Fortunately the Hamilton Emergency Services referred me to a service called Smart.Vet
It's like Telehealth for pets. You log onto the site and pay $85 for consult fee and they get a vet to contact you. I was able to get speak to a vet and she was able to prescribe antibiotics for my dog that I was able to pick up at a Shoppers Drug Mart near my house.

Just wanted to let you guys know that there are options if it's a non urgent concern.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3606 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, kittypink. I hope your pup is feeling better.

I have made a note of Smart.Vet's info just in case (we have 2 senior kitties).

Yes, the wait times are really bad at an animal ER now - it is like going to a human ER and many times they will tell you there is no point in coming. And I suspect it is only going to get worse. First there is the extreme shortage of vets and secondly of course we have Covid. Many vets are not taking any new patients and they can only see so many with their locked door policy. I just wish we could tell our pets as we drop them off at the door to the vet clinic that we are not abandoning them. Then trying to speak to the vet via a cell phone with the construction and traffic noises in Toronto is really hard.

And of course, heaven help us if our respective vet clinics should have to shut down due to Covid.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1043 posts
931 upvotes
Toronto
Very interesting for an option when my vet or emergency vet isnt available.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1267 posts
719 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks for this…
I currently work at a vet clinic and we are so backed up right now. I really feel sorry for everyone calling in and having to tell them we can’t take them in. Will bring this up with the Dr to see what he thinks about it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5155 posts
3185 upvotes
kittypink wrote: Just wanted to let Ontarians know about Smart.Vet if it'll help anyone. As far as I know, they are licensed Ontario vets.

My dog peed on the couch and started peeing more frequently than usual and she even whimpered a little. It made me suspect urinary tract infection, and if anyone had ever had one, you know it's painful and annoying.

Most vets are closed on Sundays including my usual vet. I called a few vets that are open on Sunday and they were closed because of the long weekend. The ones that were open were booked and not taking patients. I called at least 5 vets that were supposedly open. Then I called the 24 hour emergency vets (Mississauga, Burlington, Hamilton, Cambridge) and the ones that were taking patients said it's 8 hour wait for Cambridge, and +12 hours for Mississauga.

Insane! Fortunately the Hamilton Emergency Services referred me to a service called Smart.Vet
It's like Telehealth for pets. You log onto the site and pay $85 for consult fee and they get a vet to contact you. I was able to get speak to a vet and she was able to prescribe antibiotics for my dog that I was able to pick up at a Shoppers Drug Mart near my house.

Just wanted to let you guys know that there are options if it's a non urgent concern.
I understand this service has some practical use, but when your dog is in need of a physical inspection that only a doctor can do….you’re kind of screwed. With my usual vet, they only would see me if I booked an appointment and that was months down the road. I found another vet that had got me in within DAYS. They even saw me for emergency stitches for my dog the next morning, it wasn’t anything life threatening fortunately.

I’m also really annoyed how some food is “prescribed” and I can only get it through my vet. It’s just too expensive as it’s “prescribed”.