• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2021 10:29 am
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
73 posts
120 upvotes

Smart Watch for biking?

I think this is the best subforum for this question.

I currently have a Skagen Falster 2, when it was posted up on RFD last spring on sale. Its a really nice watch but not a nice smartwatch...It looks and feels great but....smart features sometimes work.

I just got back into biking and found it motivational to have my ride tracked, Google Fit does a great job but my watch loses GPS signal sometimes, the Google Fit app on the watch crashes out and battery life....basically I have to make sure it's fully charged before I ride as one ride eats 30-50%.

I'm looking at something $150 or less, but the Amazfit's look great for $65-85.

Looking for Google Fit compatibility, GPS and it's okay if it's a bit ugly, I'll keep my Skagen anyways.

Any other casual cyclists with suggestions?
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
5 replies
Nov 3, 2013
9 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Why not just track your biking on your phone? I like my original Pebble watch for superior podcast control w/ it's physical buttons. Can FF through ads.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
73 posts
120 upvotes
thrashertm wrote: Why not just track your biking on your phone? I like my original Pebble watch for superior podcast control w/ it's physical buttons. Can FF through ads.
The great thing about the watch is quick glances to see progress and other data....when it's not crashing. When it works, it works awesome and love Google Fit. I thought of mounting my phone on my handle bars but I will probably yeet myself. I literally restarted biking after 20 years of not.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6006 posts
1301 upvotes
Montreal
One thing I find when cycling is that heart rate is an important metric and watches with wrist-based heart rate are often not accurate enough because of the way wrists are placed on the handlebars. Also, it's somewhat inconvenient to look at your wrist while you're cycling at 25 KMs per hour. I personally use a refurb Garmin Forerunner 910XT on my handlebars for cycling but it isn't a smartwatch. Newer Forerunners have smartwatch capabilities. I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 as a smartwatch and I'm very happy with it. One thing about Garmin is it doesn't integrate properly with Google Fit.

Why not consider a Garmin Edge bike computer instead? The cheapest one with GPS would probably be the Edge 130 for about $250 retail although it occasionally goes on sale for much less. Also use a chest strap for heart rate. Also, if you want to try another (Android) app, try the free Wahoo Fitness app from Google Play. There's also Strava.
Phils
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
73 posts
120 upvotes
Phils wrote: One thing I find when cycling is that heart rate is an important metric and watches with wrist-based heart rate are often not accurate enough because of the way wrists are placed on the handlebars. Also, it's somewhat inconvenient to look at your wrist while you're cycling at 25 KMs per hour. I personally use a refurb Garmin Forerunner 910XT on my handlebars for cycling but it isn't a smartwatch. Newer Forerunners have smartwatch capabilities. I use a Garmin Vivoactive 3 as a smartwatch and I'm very happy with it. One thing about Garmin is it doesn't integrate properly with Google Fit.

Why not consider a Garmin Edge bike computer instead? The cheapest one with GPS would probably be the Edge 130 for about $250 retail although it occasionally goes on sale for much less. Also use a chest strap for heart rate. Also, if you want to try another (Android) app, try the free Wahoo Fitness app from Google Play. There's also Strava.
I saw the Garmin however I'm not that level of a cyclist....yet. I'm the "Oh awesome I hit 10km today in less than an hour" cyclist.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4068 posts
1940 upvotes
Mississauga
restartRFD wrote: I think this is the best subforum for this question.

I currently have a Skagen Falster 2, when it was posted up on RFD last spring on sale. Its a really nice watch but not a nice smartwatch...It looks and feels great but....smart features sometimes work.

I just got back into biking and found it motivational to have my ride tracked, Google Fit does a great job but my watch loses GPS signal sometimes, the Google Fit app on the watch crashes out and battery life....basically I have to make sure it's fully charged before I ride as one ride eats 30-50%.

I'm looking at something $150 or less, but the Amazfit's look great for $65-85.

Looking for Google Fit compatibility, GPS and it's okay if it's a bit ugly, I'll keep my Skagen anyways.

Any other casual cyclists with suggestions?
Get Strava app to your phone, and a phone mount for your handlebar. Done.