• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 2:06 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2014
117 posts
190 upvotes
St. John's, NL

Smart watch suggestions

I'm looking for some suggestions on smart watches. I've ignored the world of wearable technology so I'm really out of touch with what's available. I'm primarily looking for sleep tracking, fitness tracking, GPS, and would like it to be integrated with my android phone for receiving texts. Is there a particular watch that is popular with these features?
23 replies
Jr. Member
Dec 30, 2017
127 posts
187 upvotes
I got a Huawei gt1 for around $100 with tax a while back and I love it. It tracks my heartbeat and sleep. I've actually improved my deep sleep because of it. I never knew how bad my sleep was until I got the watch. Now I'm getting lots of deep sleep.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
I like my Garmin Forerunner 645 Music. Runs on batteries for about a week, I get enough of a text to know what's going on. Listen to music without carrying my phone. GPS/HR/etc. Relatively small (I have small wrists), and the styling is pretty subtle by smart watch standards (though, to be fair, this isn't REALLY a smart watch).

I just wanted it for the music while running part, but it works well otherwise. I think I got it for $250 on Prime day or something.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Fitbit Charge 4 checks all your boxes, the software is mature and runs flawlessly.

My biggest recommendation is to review the app before making your decision as this is how you will interact with your wearable. A cheap device will be useless if the app is garbage too. For example there are many reported issues with getting the huawei health app to play nicely on the android ecosystem.
Jr. Member
Oct 16, 2009
100 posts
25 upvotes
Jmartin22 wrote: I'm looking for some suggestions on smart watches. I've ignored the world of wearable technology so I'm really out of touch with what's available. I'm primarily looking for sleep tracking, fitness tracking, GPS, and would like it to be integrated with my android phone for receiving texts. Is there a particular watch that is popular with these features?
There are many smartwatches with those features. The choices of smartwatches may be overwhelming. Costs vary too, you can get reliable cheaper ones for less than $100, higher-end models are far more. I would recommend you watch YouTube review videos on the major models (e.g. Apple Watch, Wear OS watches, Fitbit, Samsung/Tizen etc.) A 5-10 minute review video will give you an idea of the "feel" of the watch, as well as the pros and cons of it.

I'm currently wearing an Amazfit Bip S. After my Ticwatch (wear OS) died, I bought the Bip S as a temporary watch until I figured out what I wanted next. But I'm so happy with the Bip S that I'm not looking for my "next" smartwatch. But that's me; you need to find a watch that fits you. It does however, match your list of requirements. Note it has GPS, but it's used for fitness tracking and not navigation.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
Fitness tracking watches, professional category, works with Android, known for accuracy, cost $200 to high of $900:

Garmin
https://www.garmin.com/

Polar
https://www.polar.com/

Coros
https://coros.ca/

Suunto
https://www.suunto.com/

Fitbit
https://www.fitbit.com/

Garmin is highly popular. You can buy online, or from Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart, SportsChek, MEC, etc.

Fitbit is another popular brand. But Fitbit needs a subscription that allows you to see details of your fitness data. Details might include the sleep stages ie. REM, deep, light, awake etc that can only be seen with a subscription. (if this can be seen without subscription, Fitbit owners can correct this part and clarify what cannot be seen without paying a subscription)

Other brands:
Fossil
https://www.fossil.com/

Moto360
https://moto360.com/

Mobvoi
https://www.mobvoi.com/

Amazfit
https://www.amazfit.com/

MrMobile regularly have reviews on smart watches:

Samsung Galaxy Watch Review


Samsung Galaxy Watch Active Review


Moto 360 Review


Ticwatch Pro 3 Review


TicWatch E3 Review


Casio G-SHOCK Smartwatch


Casio's WSD-F10


Huawei Watch 3 Review


OnePlus Watch Review


Skagen Falster 3 Review


Huawei Watch GT Review


Montblanc Summit 2 Review
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
For clarification on the previous post, you do not need a subscription to see just about everything in the Fitbit app. I can see my sleep, sleep stages, blood oxygen saturation, temperature... There is a premium feature you pay for but that's for mindfulness programs and guided fitness goals.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Aug 11, 2014
117 posts
190 upvotes
St. John's, NL
kr0zet wrote: For clarification on the previous post, you do not need a subscription to see just about everything in the Fitbit app. I can see my sleep, sleep stages, blood oxygen saturation, temperature... There is a premium feature you pay for but that's for mindfulness programs and guided fitness goals.
Thanks for that. Ive seen a few reviews that claim the Fitbit has the most accurate sleep tracking but I also read the details of the sleep stages were a paid subscription feature. That would be a deal breaker
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2009
2558 posts
706 upvotes
Ottawa
Sky432 wrote: I got a Huawei gt1 for around $100 with tax a while back and I love it. It tracks my heartbeat and sleep. I've actually improved my deep sleep because of it. I never knew how bad my sleep was until I got the watch. Now I'm getting lots of deep sleep.
Care to elaborate how you managed to improve your sleep?
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Jr. Member
Dec 30, 2017
127 posts
187 upvotes
L-lysine, l-theanine, and ZMA. Consistant bedtime and no heavy meals after 7pm.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Sky432 wrote: L-lysine, l-theanine, and ZMA. Consistant bedtime and no heavy meals after 7pm.
:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1489 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
kr0zet wrote: Fitbit Charge 4 checks all your boxes, the software is mature and runs flawlessly.

My biggest recommendation is to review the app before making your decision as this is how you will interact with your wearable. A cheap device will be useless if the app is garbage too. For example there are many reported issues with getting the huawei health app to play nicely on the android ecosystem.
Agree with this. I've tried way too many smartwatches in an attempt to get away from the Apple watch simply cause I think it looks ugly. The only two smart watches I can recommend are the Apple Watch and Fitbit because of its mature software and regular updates. Since you have an Android phone go with the Fitbit
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Jmartin22 wrote: Thanks for that. Ive seen a few reviews that claim the Fitbit has the most accurate sleep tracking but I also read the details of the sleep stages were a paid subscription feature. That would be a deal breaker
Here is the overview:
Image

Here is the breakdown when you click on an individual day:
Image
Image

To get the Oxygen just make sure you get a device that has this option. My old Blaze didn't have it, but my new Charge 4 does.

Sorry for the size of the photos... they are just straight screen grabs from my phone.
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Here is the overview:

Here is the breakdown when you click on an individual day:

To get the Oxygen just make sure you get a device that has this option. My old Blaze didn't have it, but my new Charge 4 does.

Sorry for the size of the photos... they are just straight screen grabs from my phone.
Thanks for the clarification and screenshots.

Without a subscription, can you see:

1. Can you see sleep stages in terms of number of hours instead of a graph as shown in your screen shot? For example, how many hours of REM, deep sleep, etc.

2. Like sleep stages, can you see the SPO2 in terms of a number percentage (eg. 98%) instead of a line graph?

3. As above, can you see heart rate data in terms of numbers rather than a graph?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
stack21 wrote: Thanks for the clarification and screenshots.

Without a subscription, can you see:

1. Can you see sleep stages in terms of number of hours instead of a graph as shown in your screen shot? For example, how many hours of REM, deep sleep, etc.

2. Like sleep stages, can you see the SPO2 in terms of a number percentage (eg. 98%) instead of a line graph?

3. As above, can you see heart rate data in terms of numbers rather than a graph?
1. Like this?
Image

2. Not that I have found.

3.Sorta, its still a graph but shows you the heart rate on the left of the graph.
Image
and you can zoom in to an extent.
Image
Sr. Member
Jan 17, 2013
772 posts
368 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: 1. Like this?

2. Not that I have found.

3.Sorta, its still a graph but shows you the heart rate on the left of the graph.
Something like this:

1. Sleep stages, screenshot from Fitbit (unknown if this is subscription based screen or otherwise)

The screen tells me I am awake for 46mins, REM for 1.5 hours, light sleep 4+ hours and deep sleep for 20 mins.
Image

2. SPO2 (screenshot from Apple)

I can see how well I'm doing with SPO2 over a period with numbers and not graph.

Image

3. Heart rate (screenshot from Apple)

I can see my heart rate over a period with numbers and not graph.

Image


Can Fitbit show the sleep, SPO2 and heartrate as seen above without a subscription?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
1.
Isn't the circled part what you are looking for?

Image

2. No, I haven't seen anything like that in the FitBit app, just the nightly graph in the sleep section. I just checked the extra widgets in the FitBit app and can't find anything like what the Apple app shows.

3. Yes

Image
Newbie
Mar 21, 2005
53 posts
7 upvotes
I'm also in the market for a smartwatch but overwhelmed with the options out there.

Is there such a smartwatch that can connect (I'm assuming via Bluetooth) to my TicPods earphones, but be usable without connecting to my phone?

I hate running with my smartphone strapped to my arm.

I also need it to be able to use the Nike Running App as well.

Or am I SOL because all smartwatches have to be connected to your phone in order to work?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 22, 2012
5865 posts
6832 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ravelx wrote: I'm also in the market for a smartwatch but overwhelmed with the options out there.

Is there such a smartwatch that can connect (I'm assuming via Bluetooth) to my TicPods earphones, but be usable without connecting to my phone?

I hate running with my smartphone strapped to my arm.

I also need it to be able to use the Nike Running App as well.

Or am I SOL because all smartwatches have to be connected to your phone in order to work?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure most if not all smartwatches out there can pair to your bluetooth earphones directly.

Even my ancient Moto 360 Sport from 2016 could.
Member
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
ravelx wrote: I'm also in the market for a smartwatch but overwhelmed with the options out there.

Is there such a smartwatch that can connect (I'm assuming via Bluetooth) to my TicPods earphones, but be usable without connecting to my phone?

I hate running with my smartphone strapped to my arm.

I also need it to be able to use the Nike Running App as well.

Or am I SOL because all smartwatches have to be connected to your phone in order to work?

Thanks!
There are smartwatches that have bluetooth and storage for music downloads but not all are easy/seamless to load up music. I didn't care for this feature so I went with the Amazfit GT2e instead of the GT2. The Amazfit does not allow third party apps though, you would need to look into WearOS watches which are coming soon with the new generation.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)