• Jul 9th, 2020 10:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes

which Smartbulb?

in market for wifi connected bulbs, that enable changing colors.

Philips hue is very costly and i know kids would play with colors for couple of days and then it would be used as regular smart bulbs controlled via Alexa/Google home. But still i want to pick something that enables changing colors rather than just shades of white.

i see a lot of options like teckin, Gosund, Peteme etc on Amazon, which are ~30 a pair....but i am not sure which one to go for. Anyone on the forum has a recommendation based on self use (not articles on web). I missed on homedepot Philips Hue deal earlier at start of lockdown, and i see Hue price reduction deals are all clearance (means not very often)
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I would try out this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Multicolor-Changi ... =hi&sr=1-1

I got Teckin, but it was after the purchase that Amazon had Nooie on my recommendation list.

FYI, Teckin is fine too but like you mentioned, they are costly.

During the Google Home sale, The Source was selling Globe for $5 as an add-on. That was a steal.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote: I would try out this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Multicolor-Changi ... =hi&sr=1-1

I got Teckin, but it was after the purchase that Amazon had Nooie on my recommendation list.

FYI, Teckin is fine too but like you mentioned, they are costly.

During the Google Home sale, The Source was selling Globe for $5 as an add-on. That was a steal.
thanks,so if i get it right....you have not used Nooie. right? and you are happy with Teckin.

@price, i was pointing at hue as costly, Teckin and Nooie are same price as far as i can see....
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I don't have Nooie. I have 13W Teckin.

This was my thought process while typing the last response:
it's a somewhat flawed but solid analysis big picture.

Light emitted using 10W smart bulbs @ 100% (Mue) - 88lux measured on my desk
Light emitted using 13W smart bulb @ 100% (Teckin) - 98lux measured on my desk

As 13W didn't performed too much differently, I suggested Nooie as they're priced at $53 instead vs $82.

FYI, a Mue bulb DOAed, so I didn't even mention them in the last post.

As 13W Teckin didn't perform as I expect it to, I simply assumed their 7.5W will also under deliver and recommended Nooie to you instead of the 7.5W Teckin, which is priced around the same as Nooie's bulb @ 10W.

The calculation would be different if you only want non-hue. I don't have recommendation as I didn't do too deep a research into non-hue bulbs. Only have 1 globe bulb, which I have no brand to compare it with. It's fine I suppose.
One thing you might want to take note of beside price is kelvin range and see what fits you. Office-like would be ~5000k, bedroom light would be between ~2700-4000k.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote:
As 13W Teckin didn't perform as I expect it to, I simply assumed their 7.5W will also under deliver and recommended Nooie to you instead of the 7.5W Teckin, which is priced around the same as Nooie's bulb @ 10W.

thanks for the detailed answer, appreciated.....i have to admit i didnt notice the wattage difference and focused just on lumen. Thanks for highlighting that....
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
anti_maniac wrote: thanks for the detailed answer, appreciated.....i have to admit i didnt notice the wattage difference and focused just on lumen. Thanks for highlighting that....
I'm sure you already know all this. Lower wattage higher lumen is supposed to be more efficient. Back then they would say things like '90% efficient', or 4W giving off 40W incandescent equivalent amount of lumen lightbulb. In that sense, Teckin's 7.5W on paper is supposed to be superior to Nooie's 10W as they both claimed to be 60W equivalent (750-800 lumen).

In any case, they will all perform better than your average Incandescent/Fluorescent Bulbs, but relative to each other, Teckin's 13W didn't add that 500 extra Lumen (1300 total Lumen) compared to the 10W Mue bulb I had which claimed to be 60W equivalent. Teckin's 13W may have added at most 200 Lumen more.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
How is Philips Wiz? I see that they are currently $45 for 3 at HD. If you register your bulbs after purchase with Philips, you get a 10-year extended warranty.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes
Holystone wrote: How is Philips Wiz? I see that they are currently $45 for 3 at HD. If you register your bulbs after purchase with Philips, you get a 10-year extended warranty.
thats the part i love about RFD, where i think i have reached horizon.....some post shows me there is more to go :D
i was not at all aware about WIZ....price is definitely tempting considering its backed by philips.

edit : coincidence, but today when i logged onto amazon i saw a lightening deal on Nooie ...43CAD (no taxes) for four bulbs. So i couldnt resist the temptation and ended up ordering ...as anyway i would need more than four so i start with these :) if it was not for @spiritsBB i wouldn't have even found Nooie :)
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
anti_maniac wrote: thats the part i love about RFD, where i think i have reached horizon.....some post shows me there is more to go :D
i was not at all aware about WIZ....price is definitely tempting considering its backed by philips.

edit : coincidence, but today when i logged onto amazon i saw a lightening deal on Nooie ...43CAD (no taxes) for four bulbs. So i couldnt resist the temptation and ended up ordering ...as anyway i would need more than four so i start with these :) if it was not for @spiritsBB i wouldn't have even found Nooie :)
Oh I saw it too, and got myself 4 of these Nooie bulbs to satisfy my curiosity. I wouldn't say they're bright enough though for what I need compared with Teckin so maybe bedroom light/washroom light would be good. It feels solid though, Teckin feels a lot lighter by comparison. Setup-wise, I ended up using "Smart Life" app rather than their own native Nooie app using Light Modulato BLE+WiFi mode (AP Mode) to set the bulbs as their own app wasn't linking to my Google Home.

So using the same measuring method at highest kelvin to my desk, it measured at 60 lux.

Was about to tell you this after testing it out, but immediately saw your edit.

Now that I think about it, maybe it has to do with the shape of the bulb. Both Mue bulb and Teckin bulb I had/have are bulged reflector. There could be something about that design that's just overall brighter.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote: Oh I saw it too, and got myself 4 of these Nooie bulbs to satisfy my curiosity. I wouldn't say they're bright enough though for what I need compared with Teckin so maybe bedroom light/washroom light would be good. It feels solid though, Teckin feels a lot lighter by comparison. Setup-wise, I ended up using "Smart Life" app rather than their own native Nooie app using Light Modulato BLE+WiFi mode (AP Mode) to set the bulbs as their own app wasn't linking to my Google Home.

So using the same measuring method at highest kelvin to my desk, it measured at 60 lux.

Was about to tell you this after testing it out, but immediately saw your edit.

Now that I think about it, maybe it has to do with the shape of the bulb. Both Mue bulb and Teckin bulb I had/have are bulged reflector. There could be something about that design that's just overall brighter.
yeah i felt they were not that bright but then i didnt had a reference to compare...they were not that bad compared to regular LEDs that were replaced. Nooie was a bit too heavy for one of my lamp shades. At like 11 dollar a piece its not much to loose...as long as they are not buggy. Do you have a recommendation for white smart bulbs? i have some lamp shades that have more than one bulb now it forces me to change all of them to smart....but one being multiple color as when color is used the other can be turned off.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11079 posts
4331 upvotes
researched this a bit and it seems Phillips stuff is overpriced and most of the functionality/reliability can be had by going with the cheaper brands

Just got this from Amazon for $36. Can't find them anymore though. I'm happy with them so far

TECKIN Smart LED Bulb WiFi E26 with Soft Light Works with Phone, Google Home (No Hub Required) A19 60W Equivalent RGB Color Changing Bulb (7.5W), with Schedule Function (Not Support 5G WiFi)(2 Pack)
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1584 posts
1077 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
anti_maniac wrote: yeah i felt they were not that bright but then i didnt had a reference to compare...they were not that bad compared to regular LEDs that were replaced. Nooie was a bit too heavy for one of my lamp shades. At like 11 dollar a piece its not much to loose...as long as they are not buggy. Do you have a recommendation for white smart bulbs? i have some lamp shades that have more than one bulb now it forces me to change all of them to smart....but one being multiple color as when color is used the other can be turned off.
Nothing in particular. Seems not rational to get white ones especially when you look at how we got $11 a piece colored bulb tax included, white ones aren't much different in price. In fact, most brands with white colored bulbs are even more expensive. The only brand price competitive enough with Nooie is Globe brand from Costco, which is also colored.

The Source is having those sales again where if you buy Google Nest for $39, then 2 colored bulb + smart plug = $10. That's an option if you still need more Google Nests in other rooms. Their "Bright" brand is just Globe.

For me, if I were to buy again, I'd probably still get the 13W Teckin x 4bulb package even though the cost seemed too high to justify for lightbulbs.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2010
361 posts
181 upvotes
spiritsBB wrote: Nothing in particular. Seems not rational to get white ones especially when you look at how we got $11 a piece colored bulb tax included, white ones aren't much different in price. In fact, most brands with white colored bulbs are even more expensive. The only brand price competitive enough with Nooie is Globe brand from Costco, which is also colored.

The Source is having those sales again where if you buy Google Nest for $39, then 2 colored bulb + smart plug = $10. That's an option if you still need more Google Nests in other rooms. Their "Bright" brand is just Globe.

For me, if I were to buy again, I'd probably still get the 13W Teckin x 4bulb package even though the cost seemed too high to justify for lightbulbs.
sure, i thought i had seen white bulbs cheaper....but may be am mixing up.

if whites are same cost,then i agree....no point going forthem. But i have to admit i have never purchased anything with lighteningdeal before....by the time i come to know deal is sold out.I would get Wiz to try them out in that case

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)