Smartcenters distribution safety

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2020 10:53 am
[OP]
Apr 9, 2018
25 posts
13 upvotes

Smartcenters distribution safety

Hi everyone, do you think Smartcenter will maintain its distribution in this environment? Riocan's cut is making me nervous. I normally don't buy high yield with low growth but was willing to make an exception with Smartcenters earlier this year.
4 replies
Jul 8, 2019
96 posts
98 upvotes
Smartcenters is primarily outdoor facing big box stores, with Wal-Mart as their major tenant. There's a risk, but nowhere in the same situation as Riocan, whose properties are primarily indoor malls.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1606 posts
1060 upvotes
Montreal
Solid REIT with solid tenants and management. Never say never but I think they will come through this without a cut. I never bought in to Riocan, prefer FCR myself.
Jan 31, 2008
474 posts
163 upvotes
Summerstown, ON
Mitchell Goldhar left me with the assumption they might reduce the distribution in Q3 conference call.

He speaks of an exceptionally and abnormal high yield and says it is something the board is regularly reviewing.

I think it's safe in the company can maintain it, but that doesn't mean they won't reduce it to focus on shareholder value elsewhere.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been. "
Jan 23, 2011
564 posts
262 upvotes
From stockchase - Guest Michelle Wearing on BNN on Nov 26th: SRU - Focus on Walmart and adjacent retail. Likes Walmart, but the adjacent retail faces headwinds. Management team says better growth in residential than in retail. She'd take this cue and invest in companies that already have residential exposure. Talk of distribution cut.