Automotive

Smartphone-based car key idea: Anyone used Mobokey before?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2020 9:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2263 posts
282 upvotes
Calgary

Smartphone-based car key idea: Anyone used Mobokey before?

Hey guys, I was looking for a smartphone based car key idea (seeing more and more things are integrated to our smartphone these days ie. membership, mobile payment etc.) and came across the Mobokey.
https://mobokey.com/shop/cam-pro/
I understand the security concern (bluetooth connection can be hacked), but other than that this seems pretty decent for the price.
Tried to google a bit more but apparently there is no much discussion online.
Anybody has any experience with this?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
Unless it's a manufacturer's feature, no. Something like this is not to be messed with, what if in an emergency you REALLY need to start the car, and it fails you. Security is not a big deal but risk to your safety is the concern.

A lot of cars are now being connected by 4G and soon 5G, features will be standard soon just like Tesla's system. Ford, GM, Kia/Hyundai have pretty nifty systems too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37373 posts
23437 upvotes
Center of Universe
Smartkey is already super convenient and never have to be taken out of your pocket or purse.
Using a phone is like going back to a physical key.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5037 posts
3233 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Smartkey is already super convenient and never have to be taken out of your pocket or purse.
Using a phone is like going back to a physical key.
In theory, a smartphone based key could be more secure as you would have to unlock your phone by PIN, face ID or fingerprint. Better than proximity keys getting spoofed in seconds like those Toyota/Lexus thefts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37373 posts
23437 upvotes
Center of Universe
bhrm wrote: In theory, a smartphone based key could be more secure as you would have to unlock your phone by PIN, face ID or fingerprint. Better than proximity keys getting spoofed in seconds like those Toyota/Lexus thefts.
I'm not too concerned about theft, as that's what insurance is for.
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
In my opinion.. it's another concern for me as I have to worry about getting my phone hacked which will allow hacker to have access to my car. Also.. I already have house keys in my pocket...my car key isn't a nuisance.

Some like to have everything on their phone.. but that just makes me over-reliance on one device and I don't like that
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3009 upvotes
keenland
i may be wrong..maybe someone can confirm but doesnt Audi already use this feature in SQ5?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)