Etc....
21 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1943 posts
1783 upvotes
Montréal
Added item prices, some seem to be zigbee and some wifi, also there is a hub for 70$ and 3 unit controller down from 399 to 279
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
4233 posts
479 upvotes
Markham, ON
rvs007 wrote: Not sure if Dell does price matches but you can PM Lowes and get the zigbee outlet for $20.99. The zigbee outlet can act as a zigbee repeater to expand your zigbee network.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/flood-sens ... et-1157810
They do not PM. I’ve tried.
Dec 31, 2018
97 posts
180 upvotes
Fyi you need the smart things HUB for these products to work, their products description pages don't have a ton of info. I bought the bulbs without realizing I needed the hub too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1943 posts
1783 upvotes
Montréal
For most people smartthings is the best home automation system
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
Just an observation... I replaced my incandescent bulbs for energy friendly ones. Then I replaced them for smart bulbs that work off an app. Then I replaced them for Apple and Google Assistant compatible. I'm beginning to detect a pattern here. lol.

Smart light bulbs seem to be a natural option to replace all sorts of fixed electrical devices and sensors. Perhaps one day they'll even reach a point where they are much like smartphones that replaced basic phones. It seems plausible we''ll see smart bulbs with integrated co2, smoke, motion, humidity, ir, lidar, sound, and other sensors all in a single package. Then throw in mesh wifi/lifi/futurecommunication tech, cameras, decent speakers, mics, and maybe eventually even 2D/3D projection devices.

This begs the question.. how often should one upgrade their smartbulbs?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
3522 posts
1566 upvotes
Ottawa
needybot wrote: Just an observation... I replaced my incandescent bulbs for energy friendly ones. Then I replaced them for smart bulbs that work off an app. Then I replaced them for Apple and Google Assistant compatible. I'm beginning to detect a pattern here. lol.

Smart light bulbs seem to be a natural option to replace all sorts of fixed electrical devices and sensors. Perhaps one day they'll even reach a point where they are much like smartphones that replaced basic phones. It seems plausible we''ll see smart bulbs with integrated co2, smoke, motion, humidity, ir, lidar, sound, and other sensors all in a single package. Then throw in mesh wifi/lifi/futurecommunication tech, cameras, decent speakers, mics, and maybe eventually even 2D/3D projection devices.

This begs the question.. how often should one upgrade their smartbulbs?
You may wanna check if the username needybulb is available.. Winking Face
Dec 6, 2008
982 posts
306 upvotes
If the bulb burns then you need to buy a replacement smart bulb. Is it not easier to replace your switches with a wifi switch instead and have a normal incandescent bulb. I don't see the advantage of a smart bulb unless they are priced same as a normal incandescent bulb
May 8, 2015
210 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
itemsale2003 wrote: If the bulb burns then you need to buy a replacement smart bulb. Is it not easier to replace your switches with a wifi switch instead and have a normal incandescent bulb. I don't see the advantage of a smart bulb unless they are priced same as a normal incandescent bulb
If you have a dimmable smart bulb you can more easily set color temperatures in different areas. That's where I've found the most use out of my LIFX bulbs, I lower the color temperature automatically to help me get to bed much easier.

Depending on the wi-fi switch, setting different automation rules through Assistant (I only have experience with Google) is a lot easier with just the bulbs.

But those are some very specific use cases, I'd be willing to bet that for most people a regular wifi switch is just fine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5142 posts
2087 upvotes
smart bulbs are really only useful for lamps. for everything else, go with a switch.

I have a bunch of smart bulbs just lying around now.
Dec 6, 2008
982 posts
306 upvotes
BenK wrote: smart bulbs are really only useful for lamps. for everything else, go with a switch.

I have a bunch of smart bulbs just lying around now.
Thanks. Any recommendations for smart light switches. I'm shopping around and the cheapest I found are the Levitons at around $20 a switch. Is there something cheaper?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5483 posts
2299 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: Thanks. Any recommendations for smart light switches. I'm shopping around and the cheapest I found are the Levitons at around $20 a switch. Is there something cheaper?
Don't buy cheap, get z-wave if you want to keep it expanding and trouble free.
Dec 6, 2008
982 posts
306 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: Don't buy cheap, get z-wave if you want to keep it expanding and trouble free.
What features would I look for (some switch specs show "direct remote only). Perhaps if you could provide a link to the switch. I'm finding the zwave switches to be $29 a piece. I plan to use them with a smartthings hub.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5142 posts
2087 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: What features would I look for (some switch specs show "direct remote only). Perhaps if you could provide a link to the switch. I'm finding the zwave switches to be $29 a piece. I plan to use them with a smartthings hub.
if you're going with smartthings and you want to do zwave, i recommend inovelli. they go on sale periodically. the red series allows you to program scenes/actions (requires a bit of manual setup)

if you dont care for zwave/zigbee and fine with wifi, tp-link's kasa line of products is good.
May 17, 2006
532 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
itemsale2003 wrote: Thanks. Any recommendations for smart light switches. I'm shopping around and the cheapest I found are the Levitons at around $20 a switch. Is there something cheaper?
Where can you get Leviton switches for $20?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1943 posts
1783 upvotes
Montréal
Always need neutrals for the z-wave switches..... makes me sad. Thats why i resort to bulbs but otherwise "stateless" switches are the best, need a switch that won't conflict with voice commands
May 17, 2006
532 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
itemsale2003 wrote: 1000bulbs.com
Thanks but those appear to be Bluetooth only (no z-wave) so not quite the same thing. I'm not sure where you live but it's also in USD - who knows how much it would cost to get across the border to Canada.