• Jul 15th, 2020 9:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1121 posts
1413 upvotes

Smoke and CO Alarm - Using non specified batteries

Hi RFD,

I just changed the battery on my First Alert Smoke and CO alarm. On the back of the alarm it asks for Energizer E91 or Duracell MN1500 only. Both these batteries are typical 1.5V AA Alkaline batteries. Do I have to use these specific batteries or can I use any typical 1.5V AA Alkaline batteries?
Last edited by IHavocI on Jul 14th, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4753 posts
4462 upvotes
Toronto
Cheaper, non-name brand batteries tend to leak more. Name brand ones tend to have better quality control or processes so they're more reliable (although I've had Duracells leak as well). For toys and remote controls, it doesn't matter if it stops working, but for critical things like alarms, I would recommend name brand or high quality ones (Kirkland ones at Costco are manufactured by Duracell, I believe).

Note that most Panasonic batteries (blue/black coloured) in dollar stores are carbon zinc, so not even as good as alkaline, and I wouldn't consider that a "name brand" battery brand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1121 posts
1413 upvotes
jm1 wrote: Cheaper, non-name brand batteries tend to leak more. Name brand ones tend to have better quality control or processes so they're more reliable (although I've had Duracells leak as well). For toys and remote controls, it doesn't matter if it stops working, but for critical things like alarms, I would recommend name brand or high quality ones (Kirkland ones at Costco are manufactured by Duracell, I believe).

Note that most Panasonic batteries (blue/black coloured) in dollar stores are carbon zinc, so not even as good as alkaline, and I wouldn't consider that a "name brand" battery brand.
Thank you.

I was just looking at Kirkland batteries on the Costco website and the reviews don't look good (issues with leaking).
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37165 posts
5166 upvotes
Winnipeg
I haven't replaced battery on alarms for while, I know a decade ago they do drain out the battery but for the last decade the battery actually lasts the life of the alarm which is typically 7 years.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16270 posts
13789 upvotes
GTA, ON
divx wrote: I haven't replaced battery on alarms for while, I know a decade ago they do drain out the battery but for the last decade the battery actually lasts the life of the alarm which is typically 7 years.
Are those the built-in lithium batteries. Sounds like the OP is using a general smoke/CO alarm that uses regular AA batteries, so recommended to change 2x/year

I would definitely stick to the Duracell or Energizer as they're more well established product.

OP, change your title to smoke & CO (carbon monoxide), not CO2 (carbon dioxide)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8624 posts
2276 upvotes
I would not buy Duracells. They always leak. Stick with energizer.

I do have to give Duracell credit for replacing all my devices they leaked in.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6784 posts
2545 upvotes
BC
EPcjay wrote: I would not buy Duracells. They always leak. Stick with energizer.

I do have to give Duracell credit for replacing all my devices they leaked in.
Agreed - I gave up on Duracell batteries long ago as they tend to leak. Energizer seem to be good, often on a decent sale price, and sometimes M.I.R. offer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6784 posts
2545 upvotes
BC
jm1 wrote: ......
The Panasonic D cells (carbon zinc) I just bought at a dollar store are made in Indonesia with the USA HQ cust. service no. so I would consider them "name brand".
Certainly inspire more confidence for me than random made in China ones.

That dollar store did have Alkaline Panasonic D cells, gold coloured, at 3 times the price. Not sure they would last 3 times longer, but might be justified for some applications.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3404 posts
2162 upvotes
Mississauga
No to Duracell. Have had a number of instances of them leaking while still in packaging.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2536 posts
456 upvotes
North York
IndyBeak wrote: No to Duracell.
I've had them leak more often then any other brand. ... and now that we have kids, we go through our share of batteries. It's now at the point when we get a toy or device that comes with duracells, I toss them out immediately and replace them with a different brand.