Food & Drink

smokeless grill - who has one and can share their opinion?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 12:43 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3282 posts
2205 upvotes

smokeless grill - who has one and can share their opinion?

The wife wants to get a smokeless grill for our condo, does anyone have any recommendations on a good one and have any comments on performance, cleanup, quality ect?

Also if you have any photos of the end results, I am always down to look at juicy pieces of meat!

Thanks!!
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45872 posts
8864 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
They're all terrible if you want to "bbq & grill".

Youre really just frying at high heat with some grill lines.

If its a compromise measure... thats fine bc many condos dont allow real bbq's.
I personally would try to sneak in some wood chips in some sort of smoker box to give it a remote bbq flavor.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes

seems pretty good, although ive never used a smokeless grill
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13318 posts
8022 upvotes
Markham
I would just use the BROIL function on your oven. But watch it burn. Oh and put the fan on because it tends to smoke.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7011 posts
1767 upvotes
I have a Zojirushi. Like it a lot. I mostly use it for seafood, shrimp, scallops, calamari, and vegetables. It gives good grill marks and gets really hot. We've done steak a few times, but it takes too long to cook so we mostly just mark/sear and then finish in the oven. The grill is very non-stick, which makes it perfect for delicate seafood. It's fairly easy to clean, drip pan can go int dishwasher but grill surface gets washed by hand.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-EB-CC15 ... ushi+grill

I used to have a Hamilton Beach Flavour Grill but it didn't sear as well as the Zoji. I liked the cover on it, but if I want to cover my other one I just put a 9 by 13 baking pan over it, upside down.

Neither of the grills made any smoke.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3282 posts
2205 upvotes
bonterra wrote: I have a Zojirushi. Like it a lot. I mostly use it for seafood, shrimp, scallops, calamari, and vegetables. It gives good grill marks and gets really hot. We've done steak a few times, but it takes too long to cook so we mostly just mark/sear and then finish in the oven. The grill is very non-stick, which makes it perfect for delicate seafood. It's fairly easy to clean, drip pan can go int dishwasher but grill surface gets washed by hand.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-EB-CC15 ... ushi+grill

I used to have a Hamilton Beach Flavour Grill but it didn't sear as well as the Zoji. I liked the cover on it, but if I want to cover my other one I just put a 9 by 13 baking pan over it, upside down.

Neither of the grills made any smoke.
awesome. I might go with this seeing as its 1/3 of the cost and looks easier to clean and small then the Philips. Have you cooked marinated meats on it like Korean bbq? if so how was the smoke
Apr 12, 2005
957 posts
194 upvotes
if you have a good hood fan/venting system I would think a cast iron grill pan might be the best way to go.

Get it red hot, sear your protein and finish in the oven if needed.

Lots of smoke tho
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7011 posts
1767 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: awesome. I might go with this seeing as its 1/3 of the cost and looks easier to clean and small then the Philips. Have you cooked marinated meats on it like Korean bbq? if so how was the smoke
I have cooked marinated seafood with no smoke. I'm planning on cooking ribs this weekend, I'll throw them on the grill and see if there is smoke. It's really mostly for searing and giving a grilled taste. I don't think it would work well for start to finish cooking of larger cuts like short ribs, for example.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6273 posts
686 upvotes
BC
I've had a couple and this so far is the best one I've bought, I really like the lid, no splatter on the counters. It does what I need it to do and it all comes apart for easy cleaning. But, I dont really use it often, I'm a die hard bbq/smoker and nothing beats the flavour I can get outside, even in winter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-Beach-25 ... WH495HEKD4
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7011 posts
1767 upvotes
The Gotham ti-ceramic "seen on tv" company is moving into the indoor grill market. In Giant Tiger flyer.
Images
  • Screenshot_2018-02-21-22-19-14.png
Last edited by bonterra on Feb 21st, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13318 posts
8022 upvotes
Markham
Keelie wrote: I've had a couple and this so far is the best one I've bought, I really like the lid, no splatter on the counters. It does what I need it to do and it all comes apart for easy cleaning. But, I dont really use it often, I'm a die hard bbq/smoker and nothing beats the flavour I can get outside, even in winter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hamilton-Beach-25 ... WH495HEKD4
In place of the lid, you could probably take regular indoor grill and just lightly cover it with foil paper to reduce splatter. Easier cleanup.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6273 posts
686 upvotes
BC
gr8dlr wrote: In place of the lid, you could probably take regular indoor grill and just lightly cover it with foil paper to reduce splatter. Easier cleanup.
The lid is great, its got some height to it and it also protects the sides of the grill from grease splatter. You just take it off and it goes into the dishwasher, as well as the grill and drip pan. Pretty easy clean up and no wasted foil every time you use it.
That's my 2cents worth