• Oct 18th, 2020 1:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
510 upvotes
Ontario

Smokers and Covid19

No it's not about how it effects the lungs.
I think the infection rate is higher for smokers because our hands are near our face so much per hr.
You gotta take your mask off, if you smoke.
China is major smokers.
I think Italians are big smokers too, poss France too and Spain.
Population of China smokers are over 40%, states about 19%. And canada around 12%.
Apparently average person touches their face 20 times per hour , so logically a smoker touches their face.
I know it's a wild theory but maybe some truth to it.
I know smoking is not good but its not a debate about smoking but the infection rate.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
27 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4600 posts
2001 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
There was some thought of link between smoking and deaths at first, until small samples of data was analyzed.

In China men had a just under 3% mortaility rate while for women it is under 2%. It is estaimted some 50% of men in China smoke while only 2% of women do.

Then, there was data from Italy. 70% of the dead were men. Italian smoking rate is ~39% and 29% for men and women respectively but they don't think the difference is linked to smoking alone.

There was some studies from SARS that lung damage due to pollution (diesel and gas fumes) made one more susceptible to getting infected and dying form SARS. They do believe that people living in Italian cities have damaged lungs from pollution (but I imagine so does urban and even rural China) and smoking on top of that doesn't help.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6227 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
^ Good analysis - smokers probably more at risk of developing a potentially fatal form of COVID-19, but not the sole factor.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13211 posts
2558 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Look, smoking makes the immune and respiratory system weaker. This is no secret. Now add on the beer virus which causes pneumonia compounds the problem, shortness of breath, etc. Not rocket science.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
510 upvotes
Ontario
macnut wrote: ^ Good analysis - smokers probably more at risk of developing a potentially fatal form of COVID-19, but not the sole factor.
Oh without a doubt, it will complicate matters but as a smoker, stopping now is not gonna help me with the current situation.
But its definitely in the cards soon.
Hehehe right now I don't need the added stress
Hehehe
Stay Safe and Corona Free...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2755 posts
510 upvotes
Ontario
aznnorth wrote: Look, smoking makes the immune and respiratory system weaker. This is no secret. Now add on the beer virus which causes pneumonia compounds the problem, shortness of breath, etc. Not rocket science.
I know smoking is not good but its not a debate about smoking but the infection rate amongst smokers , who touched their face/lip area more than a non smoker.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3367 posts
2039 upvotes
Vancouver
In countries like the U.S. where burgers, fries, donuts, and sandwiches are served as fast food, the infection rate is higher. Those foods are consumed using hands and people are unlikely to have thoroughly washed before eating.

In China, chopsticks are used for consuming virtually all foods. That mitigates significant risks of infection.

Anyone can throw out a theory.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
1992 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
You should absolutely stop smoking or vaping. RIGHT NOW. DON'T WAIT.
Cessation of smoking / vaping has an almost immediate beneficial impact on your health (within hours/days).

1. Smoking or Vaping May Increase the Risk of a Severe Coronavirus Infection
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nfection1/

2. https://www.healthline.com/health/what- ... it-smoking

20 minutes after your last cigarette
The positive health effects of quitting smoking begin 20 minutes after your last cigarette. Your blood pressure and pulse will start to return to more normal levels.

In addition, fibers in the bronchial tubes that previously didn’t move well due to constant exposure to smoke will start to move again. This is beneficial for the lungs: These fibers help move irritants and bacteria out of the lungs, helping reduce the risk for infection.

8 hours after your last cigarette
Within eight hours, your carbon monoxide levels will return to a more normal level. Carbon monoxide is a chemical present in cigarette smoke that replaces oxygen particles in the blood, lowering the amount of oxygen your tissues receive.
When carbon monoxide goes away, your oxygen levels start to increase to more normal levels. This increased oxygen helps nourish tissues and blood vessels that were getting less oxygen while you were smoking.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Apr 18, 2017
584 posts
279 upvotes
CouponKindaGuy wrote: I know smoking is not good but its not a debate about smoking but the infection rate amongst smokers , who touched their face/lip area more than a non smoker.
of the 1,099 Chinese people who contracted 2019-nCoV which were studied, 85.4% (927 people) were never-smokers, while only 12.6% (137 people) were current smokers and only 1.9% (21 people) were ex-smokers.

By this study (a preprint) ,smokers were 6 times less likely to contract the virus. (~50% of population are smokers, uncertain as to population % of ex vs never smokers)

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Edit: 52.1% of men smoke but only 2.7% of women.
Therefore, it's not 6 times but only 3 times less likely. Which is more in line with the rest of the data.
Last edited by qman23 on Apr 4th, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1205 posts
1564 upvotes
West
qman23 wrote: of the 1,099 Chinese people who contracted 2019-nCoV which were studied, 85.4% (927 people) were never-smokers, while only 12.6% (137 people) were current smokers and only 1.9% (21 people) were ex-smokers.

By this study (a preprint) ,smokers were 6 times less likely to contract the virus. (~50% of population are smokers, uncertain as to population % of ex vs never smokers)

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
I'm sorry, are you trying to say smoking has a protective effect? Because that is not at all what the study found or concluded...

By your logic, you might as well also conclude that being immunodeficient (2/1099) means you're 82 times less likely to get COVID-19 versus those with hypertension (164/1099). Absolutely nonsensical.
Apr 18, 2017
584 posts
279 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: I'm sorry, are you trying to say smoking has a protective effect? Because that is not at all what the study found or concluded...

By your logic, you might as well also conclude that being immunodeficient (2/1099) means you're 82 times less likely to get COVID-19 versus those with hypertension (164/1099). Absolutely nonsensical.
I'm not concluding nor claiming anything. Neither is the study, which isn't even about smoking.

The OP asked an interesting question to which I attempted to find actual data on, rather than posting speculation.
All I could find was this preprint that was linked in the SA article above. I found it surprising the numbers were opposite those the OPs hypothesis (and SA's position for that matter) would have predicted.

Agree that your example is tautologically inconsistent. (nonsensical). Those variables aren't even independently useful, without including the percentages of those conditions in the general population.
n.b. Smoking in China for males is (handily) about 50%.

Its just data, do with it what you will.
I'm no ideologue.
Apr 18, 2017
584 posts
279 upvotes
Found another preprint, (rev 10). University of West Attica, Greece and New York University, United States

This one is looking specifically for the potential effects of smoking / COVID-19, and compiles data from other studies.
Smoking, vaping and hospitalization for COVID-19

it partly uses gender as a proxy for expected smoking prevalence, and has other confounders not addressed.
but all 7 of the studies in the table fail to confirm OP's hypothesis that smoking would increase the likelihood of contracting COVID-19.
Indeed for whatever the reason, the available data slants strongly (~3 times) the other way.

This preliminary analysis, assuming that the reported data are accurate, does not support the argument that current smoking is a risk factor for hospitalization for COVID-19, and might even suggest a protective role.

(Personal disclosure, I am a non-smoker.)
smoking COVID-19.png
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11407 posts
1996 upvotes
Toronto
macnut wrote: ^ Good analysis - smokers probably more at risk of developing a potentially fatal form of COVID-19, but not the sole factor.
Smoking is considered an underlying health condition. Yes, like having high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc.